Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 FXDF project

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:09 PM
Shop rag
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2009 FXDF project

Wanted to post a new project I started not long ago with its story. This is a 2009 FXDF, Craigslist two owner bike. It had 14k miles on it and was in pretty decent shape. I have owned Dyna's in the past and after the past few years on a bagger wanted to get back to my roots a bit. My last Dyna was a 2012 Street Bob. I figured out I liked the dual front brakes I had on my bagger but still needed the forward controls due to my long legs. So, a Fat Bob was the logical choice and I had never owned one.
This bike will be ridden almost daily to and from work so modifications will be after hours and days off from the shop. The overall goal for this project is to have a dyna that is first and foremost reliable with and edge towards performance. Most importantly, on a budget.
So, here it is as it was purchased in the previous owners driveway.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Shop rag
Advanced

Some of the first things that had to be addressed were the saddle bag attachment bars and the stock exhaust. The bike came with some horrible cheap bags which I won't be using and the last owner decided the stock exhaust sounded better without baffles. I did have a Power commander tuner installed but was still running rich with the stock exhaust with no baffles. So off came the PC and I was on the hunt for a exhaust. I soon scored a free Thunderheader with less than a few hundred miles on it. It did not have any heat shields and needed a mounting bracket. It also had been sitting in a attic for a couple of years and had a few rusty spots that needed attention. Overall it was in great shape and I was ready to get it mounted. I ordered a couple of 2" rolls of heat wrap, picked up some high heat paint and a Thunderheader mounting bracket from CDC motorcycles.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Shop rag
Advanced

Got it all wrapped up and mounted. One of the pics is as its burning off the water from the wrap. The CDC mount is a beast and gone are the worries of the stock mount cracking issues. I did have to use a couple of spacers on the rear muffler mounting points but since we're dealing with a Thunderheader I wasn't to surprised. The mount one of the best I have ever seen for this setup.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

You chose wisely.

A very clean example!

Looking forward to see what you do to it.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:35 PM
BelchFire
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Nice looking bike and a great score on the exhaust!

Old 08-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Shop rag
Advanced

Belt guards off and a service was done. Rode it for a few days and was about to dyno it when as luck would have it I ran into a set back. I started the bike one morning and heard a squealing /rubbing sound coming from the primary. Pulling in the clutch lessened the sound so I figured it was coming from the clutch basket and rode to work. That night I opened up the primary to find a broken tooth on the ring gear. It had fallen behind the ring gear and wedged into the inner primary housing causing the mystery noise. So, since I am in there might as well do a few upgrades.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:00 PM
Shop rag
Advanced

Since we had a couple of pulleys around I decided to go with a 30 tooth front pulley and leave the rear stock for now, A new ring gear will be installed, and I'm going to get rid of the compensator with a Evolution industries compensator eliminator sprocket. It also needs a new clutch so a Barnett extra spring kit is going back inside. The compensator sprocket should be in this week so hopefully it will be back on the road soon.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:55 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Looking Good and some good ideas to go with it as well ..

Old 08-08-2018, 09:33 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Did you have and problems getting that front pulley nut off? I had to drill and chisel mine off. Love the 30T, great upgrade!
Have no idea about the Evolution comp elliminator, but they make good stuff, I have their clutch basket.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:49 PM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Great year! Will be watchin this one.

Quick Reply: 2009 FXDF project