Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing fluids for neutral problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:41 PM
vessel
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default changing fluids for neutral problem

I have 98 dyna with 24000 miles i have been having an issue with finding neutral . I made several adjustments on the clutch, took a few short rides around town and found neutral everytime......figured i finally found that sweet spot . I then decided to take a longer ride in the country for 40 minutes and just like before could not find neutral again. I am wondering if the harley fluids i am using could be the cause of this when the the bike gets really warm. i would consider changing fluids if there is a remote chance that this could be the culprit. I am trying to figure out why the longer rides would bring out this neutral problem and not sure what brand of fluids to switch to.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:41 AM
Cascade
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this exact same problem.
On short rides I can find neutral with a bit of fiddling, but on a full day riding it’s impossible to find.
I have to shut the bike off in gear, let it cool a bit and then put it in neutral.
Pretty annoying having to pull the clutch all the time during a short stop.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:52 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Fortunately there are lots of choices other than HD for fluids. Unfortunately there are even more opinions as to what works best. Like they say, results may vary. Try the search function here to come up with some posts and recommendations. It's easy enough to change out primary oil so you may have to experiment with it a little.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:39 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Supposedly, too much oil in the chaincase can cause difficulties with finding neutral. Fortunately, I have not had that issue.

Old 10-23-2018, 09:18 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Every Harley I have owned has had this issue.....I think it has more to do with the transmission gears then the fluid, but others have found what works for them and have said it works changing fluid, from ATF to Amsoil....

like nevil said...try a few different ones and document your findings

Old 10-23-2018, 09:27 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

My own experience is proper adjustment of clutch, and using 75/90 gear lube in the tranny (winter) and 75/140 in summer. Also, not overfilling the primary with the same oil you use in the engine.

For me, Mobil-1 is my go-to.

Never an issue finding neutral no matter how many hours I spend at a time in the saddle. A properly adjusted primary chain will assist with that... again.. my opinion.

The following users liked this post:
crusader1xxx (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

I was going to comment on the primary chain tension, seems like people who run the Hayden or Baker ones have an easier time finding neutral....

Old 10-24-2018, 06:55 AM
bigal51
Road Captain
Received 577 Likes on 242 Posts

I have owned 14 HD's over the years and never had that problem. Adj the clutch per the Manuel. I use Amsoil 20w50 in the primary and the Trans if that helps you.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:50 PM
GWC68
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine is easy to find as well, I am running RedLine primary fluid and shockproof in the transmission.
Been thinking of going to 75/90 Redline gear oil in the transmission the shockproof just seems kinda then to me.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:10 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Regarding fluids being the culprit: while I was still in the "break-in period" with my '14 Ultra, I was having a brief conversation with my salesman and I mentioned that I was having a bitch of a time finding neutral. He mentioned that was common with the thicker "break-in fluids" HD used from the factory. He suggested the condition would improve when "normal" fluids were used after my first service - it did improve.

Quick Reply: changing fluids for neutral problem