Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 12:18 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Street Bob Wont Start

Not very happy at the moment. I just bout an 08 Street Bob this week. Had trouble getting it started up to get home. Lights, radio etc all turning on, sounds like its trying to kick over just doesnt fully get there. Figured it was no big deal and I would just grab a new battery on the way home. Got a new battery, that didnt solve it and I think I immediately killed/drained the new battery. Jumped it from a car to get it restarted and get it the rest of the way home. Now that its home its back to not starting again. Between xmas and just buying the bike, im running on broke at the moment. Hating the thought of waiting a few weeks till next pay before putting it in the shop. Im not very mechanically inclined but if you can throw some ideas at me on what to check, I'll look up the how-to. Thanks in advance

Old 12-21-2018, 01:02 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

I would look at the battery connections, not only at the terminals but the ground cable connection. They tend to get loose and cause the bike to act up.
Go over all the fuses and relays and make sure the connections are clean and tight.
Make sure the battery you just bought is fully charged, then get it load tested. If you don't have a DVM then take it to an auto parts store and they will test it.
Check for codes.
Is it stock or does it have any mods like a tuner, exhaust or high flow intake?

Old 12-21-2018, 02:02 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

No he definitely did mods too it which is what im wondering if something he "upgraded" is causing the problem. Perhaps a short or bad ground wire somewhere. From what i can see their are aftermarket pipes and air cleaner on it, relocated turn signals, led lights and some type of power box to it, handle bar speakers and audio jack. And i dont think this is the problem but cant fail mentioning the led skull fuel gauge and cap

Old 12-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

Can you ask the guy you bought it from?

Old 12-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

These bike have a fairly small battery. A battery should always be charged a good 24 hours on a law amp usually below 1amp maintenance charger.

If jumping it to increase amp did it, it's the battery. Get you a Harley or Bell maintenance charger at Walmart.
Put it on when you do not drive 50 miles in a week.

Old 12-21-2018, 02:40 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
These bike have a fairly small battery. A battery should always be charged a good 24 hours on a law amp usually below 1amp maintenance charger.

If jumping it to increase amp did it, it's the battery. Get you a Harley or Bell maintenance charger at Walmart.
Put it on when you do not drive 50 miles in a week.
But that being the case it shouldve worked when i replaced the battery w a new one eh?

Old 12-21-2018, 02:41 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
Can you ask the guy you bought it from?
I can but considering he hid this will make me leary on anything else he says

Old 12-21-2018, 02:46 PM
iaminsider
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by PhillySoldier
But that being the case it shouldve worked when i replaced the battery w a new one eh?
Did you charge the new battery or throw it in right from the store? They are not fully charged right from the store.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:08 PM
PhillySoldier
Cruiser

I threw it on. Can i change it now or did i kill it?

Old 12-21-2018, 03:32 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

So much wrong here. First and foremost if you don’t know what you are doing, do nothing but get the bike to a competent mechanic. If you feel you have the skill set to do this yourself then use the FSM (factory service manual) and go through the troubleshooting section.

Like another member said, check the battery cables, then the battery then the rest of the charging system....never jump from a car....bad for all components involved.

if you don’t know the history of this bike, it’s a good idea to go through the whole bike, changing out all fluids, adjusting cables, belt tension etc. As an 08 I would change out the brake fluid as well. But again it depends on your mechanical skill set to do this. If your not sure get a good mechanic to do it.

But I have to ask why would you buy a bike that didn’t start or run? Did you not test ride it first?

Quick Reply: Street Bob Wont Start