Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken fuel injector wire?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 05:06 PM
Bubseth
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken fuel injector wire?

Hey guys I have a 2007 dyna street bob that when I throttle down hard on it will fall on its face and bog down and shut off no matter how I feather the throttle and it takes two attempts to start after this happens. Also I’ve been driving before and it will just bog down and shut off like it isn’t getting fuel so I thought it may be a hole in the fuel line in the tank sucking in air cuz normally when I fill the tank full it doesn’t act up unless I go full throttle. But the last time I rode it I was just babying it around and came to a red light and when I pulled the clutch in to stop it just died. My local mechanic that I use is old school and has been working on harleys forever. He says he almost garentees it’s a wire on one of the injectors is partially Broken, he said he has seen it plenty of times. Before I pulled the tank for like the 5th time on this bike I looked online to see if anyone else has had similar issues and this ended up being the problem but could find any, so I was hoping some competent mechanics on here could give me some insight. When I take the tank of I was just going to check for continuity from the injector to the exam but I don’t have a pinout to know witch pins to check Thanks in advance guys

Last edited by Bubseth; 12-21-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:45 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

You can try moving the injector wires around and see if there is any change in idle. Info below, click on the blue arrow's.

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Anybody replace there in tank fuel line instead of replacing the whole assembly? I have three locations that have contacted the inside of the tank and have worn down the outside of the tubing, and one has a pin hole.
I think the fix would be to use Gates SAE 30R10 Submersible Fuel Line, using a shorter length so that it doesn't hit the tank walls, and/or putting tie wraps on those contact points. Harley only sells the one line from the tank quick disconnect to the regulator/filter, the other line requires you to buy the fuel pump.
Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Injector wires are know for being installed in the factory with no service loop. So sometimes the wires are pulled when the rubber mounted engine is rocking. The wire insulation stretches but the wires don't and break, so you could have a bad wire but it won't be visible.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:06 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

A hole in the fuel line won't suck in air, it will spray out gas. A pressure test of the fuel system would be a real good idea. When was the last time the filter was changed?
Check to see if it threw any codes. Check for intake and exhaust leaks.
Wiring diagram links: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-part-1-a.html

Old 12-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Bubseth
Novice

Originally Posted by nevil
A hole in the fuel line won't suck in air, it will spray out gas. A pressure test of the fuel system would be a real good idea. When was the last time the filter was changed?
Check to see if it threw any codes. Check for intake and exhaust leaks.
Wiring diagram links: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-part-1-a.html
I changed the filter last spring I got the tank off and ordered all new fuel lines I’m checking over the injector wires it be easy with a wire diagram for the injector harness

Old 12-23-2018, 12:59 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,314 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Before you spend to much money , clean the IAC inlet. It's located at the top inside of the throttle bore. Spray some throttle bore cleaner in the inlet and cycle the ignition switch a few times, about 3 sec. intervals. The IAC controls the idle circuit when the engine goes from throttle to idle rpms.

The following users liked this post:
Huggerbugger (12-25-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 05:06 PM
Bubseth
Novice

Ok for an update I removed the tank romoved the injector wires there are some sharp bends in them I found a wiring diagram on harleys website and the green/gray wire from the rear injector goes to pin 19 at the ecm. The white/yellow wire on the front injector goes to pin 21 on the ecm. Both yellow/green wires from both injectors goes to pin A on the ignition coil connector. I checked for continuity between the injector connectors and their corresponding pins and they all show continuity even if I bend the wires around. I still might pull the pins from the injector connectors and replace the bent up sections and add about a inch of wire to each, just to eliminate the possibility of the wires going bad in the future. I pulled the fuel sending unit out and the fuel pump out and remover the quick disconnect line from the tank and I will replace both of these lines. While the tanks off I’ll clean the idle air control valve. I just hate not having evidence of a problem so I know it’s fixed the only other thing I can think might be wrong is the fuel pump isn’t pumping enough fuel at full throttle. My bike has a aftermarket filter with V&H big shot exhaust and a v&h fuel pak

Old 12-23-2018, 10:00 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

"Fuel pak?"

hmmm...

Old 12-24-2018, 03:56 AM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I have two brand new connectors with some wires leads.
https://www.fiveomotorsport.com/usca...cal-connector/

Old 12-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

Throttle Position Sensor?

Old 12-25-2018, 07:33 PM
Bubseth
Novice

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
"Fuel pak?"

hmmm...
the v&h fuel pak isn’t causing it it did it before a tuner was installed and my buddy that works at HD has never seen a problem from it

Quick Reply: Broken fuel injector wire?