Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Lay Down Stories

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:40 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

I stop counting...when you race its bound to happen when you are pushing your limits around bends or other riders.

On street, I stopped riding in questionable weather and cold. It's just not worth the risk in fighting against mother nature.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:50 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Not at all and never have been a fan of carrying a passenger on a bike, not that I haven't ever done it. First time down for me was in the summer of 1966, the rear slipped out from under me on some sand going around a curve on my Yamaha YJ-2. I had been riding for all of a week. Fortunately, I had just spent $66 (a small fortune in 1966-the Yamaha only cost about $260 new) on a Narragansett leather jacket, so just a "war wound" scrape and some torn jeans to show for it.

Was decades until the next time...

Old 12-26-2018, 01:55 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

55 plus years of riding and my story has yet to be written.

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 02:03 PM
Kevin R
Tourer
Received 129 Likes on 73 Posts

I was 18 back in 1985 and owned a 1985 Ninja 600. First street bike as I rode a little dirt before that. One year on the bike, nice sunny day, shorts, tank top, no gloves, no helmet doing about 35 mph. Laid the bike down and slid on my left leg and left arm. Will never ever ever ride without gear on. Have asphalt scrubbed out of your skin and you will wear proper gear.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:42 PM
70copperz
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 39 Posts

I laid my bike down in front of a sheriff’s deputy while making s slow U-turn. My face was redder than my bike! The deputy was nice and offered to help but I got it up myself.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:46 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

I have a Story and it took place 8-25-2018. Been riding since 2009 and this was the first time I went down on the street.

I had a 2001 HD road Glide. First Harley! Loved that bike

I was heading home to Susanville from Portola Railroad days. I was going up 395 to Susanville and just past the place where the old shoe tree used to be, I go to an area where I had a dotted yellow line, so I could pass. I saw no oncoming traffic and in front of me was two cars and in front of them a full size truck towing an equipment trailer with a load of hay. All three we going extremely slow, so being the impatient person I am I decided since there was no oncoming traffic I would pass. Well I did not observe the fact that they were slowing because the truck was making a left hand turn. I got about even with the bed of the truck and he started his turn. I panic slowed and was almost clear of the trailer and I am not sure what but something, I am guessing my crash bar, made contact with the trailer. It cause me to go into the wobble and I lost it and went down. Don't really know how fast I was going at that time but before I slowed I know I was doing 75-80. I slid down the highway on my bike side and at some point rolled onto my left side, amazingly no real road rash to speak of except on my left forearm. At some point in this ride, something cut my arm up in two places pretty nasty. I ended up not having to go by ambulance and my wife came and picked me up and took me to the VA in Reno. The nurse had her big finger knuckle deep in one of the gashes digging rocks out. They had given me the good drugs so I was feeling good. She did not get them all though cause I can feel on still in there and even went back for x rays and they confirmed that something solid was still in there.
I learned 2 very important lessons
1) Always know why traffic is slowing before attempting to pass.
2) Always wear Chap and Leather Jacket. If I had my jacket on I probably would have been fine.(minus the poop stains)
I will be getting another bike just not sure what I want. HD or Indian another bagger or something like a Dyna?

Last edited by Lunchboxx; 12-26-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:00 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 757 Likes on 404 Posts

Back on my CBR years ago I was riding a road I was not familiar with and was going way faster than I should have been around a corner. As i was accelerating out of the corner I topped a hill and thats when I saw that the road I was on dead ended into a cross road. I slowed as quickly as I could (no abs) but kept locking the brakes up and letting off then back on etc. At the end of the road was a telephone pole and on one side one of those thin metal electric fences to keep livestock in and on the other side of the pole was a ditch. I opted for the ditch. Front end went into the ditch and I went over the handlebars. The front wheel dug into the dirt and the bike was standing up with the back tire in the air still turning as it was still in gear and motor running. Had I opted for the fence I can't image what my bike would have looked like or myself If i hit that thin wire. I killed the power and called a friend who came and helped me get the bike back on the road. I rode it home and surprisingly didn't mess up anything on the bike or myself. I traded that sport bike in on my harley 2 weeks later, now I ride much slower and pay way more attention to the road ahead.

Also I went back later on looking for the "stop sign ahead" sign thinking I had to have missed it but it wasn't there. I thought most roads had signs if there was a blind change in the road like that but I guess not the one I was on!

Old 12-26-2018, 04:03 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

My First was 2 days after picking up my first sports bike (second road bike, 8th or 9th bike) an FZR250RR

In torrential rain I got rear ended and went for a slide.

The worst fall I had was in the car park at work on my Ducati (Hurt pride more than anything)

Old 12-27-2018, 06:48 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

You know that scene in Zombieland where Columbus rides into a bush? Yeah, that might as well have been me. Very first time on a bike. No injury, no damage. Just felt stupid.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:51 PM
fxdlx
Road Master
Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
I stop counting...when you race its bound to happen when you are pushing your limits around bends or other riders.

Ditto

Quick Reply: First Lay Down Stories