Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TMS Mustache Engine Guard - quick review

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 12:00 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
Default TMS Mustache Engine Guard - quick review

Quick review here of the Tsunami Motorsports (TMS) "mustache" engine guard on my '03 SuperG. I bought the chrome version.

https://tsunamimotorsports.com/shop?...l-deuce-rocker

Bought it from them on Ebay for $70 shipped. Got the bar meant for forward controls since my bike had them before and I still might want to make a dual-control setup in the future.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustache-Engine-Guard-fits-1991-2019-Harley-Davidson-Dyna-Wide-Super-Glide/272507251770?fits=Model%3ADyna&hash=item3f72b2ac3a :g:uaAAAOSw9GhYamGc:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!22015!US!-1:rk:3f:0
  • Shipping was super quick. Like 3 days from order
  • Very well packed. Completely wrapped in foam, good box.
  • Bar is heavier than expected. Feels seriously solid.
  • Welds are very clean.
  • Chrome is good. Not show chrome, but entirely acceptable at this price point. Not ashamed to have it on my bike.
  • The rubber foot rests seem very solid and decent quality. I'd read on Amazon about people complaining about poor quality and coming off on other brands, but these foot rests seem fine.
  • It comes with adapter plates that bolt to the frame where the forward peg brackets go - then you're supposed to bolt the lower legs of the guard to the adapter plates. Since I don't currently have the forwards installed, I found that the mustache guard would easily bolt to the lower bolt hole on the frame.
  • INSTALLATION: Bar bend is terrific. Hardly any force used to install it. I first loosely hung the center mount between the downtubes, then installed one side in the lower bolt hole. Just a little tugging to get the bolt installed on the other side. Tightened center, then each side. Used locktite on the lower bolts. The center bolt uses a nylock nut.
  • The bolts, washers, and nuts are meh zinc. They will probably rust. Plan to get some stainless bolts from Home Depot for a buck each, another buck for stainless washers.
That's it. $70. Barely more than the used highway pegs I was about to buy. I'm happy. Can post some pics when I get home this weekend if anybody is interested.

(No financial or other interest with this vendor. Just think these are a pretty good deal and thought others might be interested in the product.)

Last edited by AJ88V; 12-27-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:25 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Yeah show some pics. when it's on !...b.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:37 AM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Ordered the same, in matte black, for my Switchback. Got it on eBay, paid a bit more money, but it was shipped quickly and same as your's, packed very well in the box. Welds look great and yes, its heavier than I thought it would be, so seems like a great product. But, have to say, not mounted yet. Tried to remove the left floorboard so I can mount the bar, and couldn't get the stinkin' bolts out. So, left it till riding season kicks in here in 2019 and also, my buddy changed his impact drill to something with more torque. That should do the trick. So, I also decided to have the mustache bar powered coated gloss black. Hardly cost me anything for that, and looks better too. So, I will post pics when its on. But, I do like the product too.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:31 PM
AJ88V
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Krash26
......Tried to remove the left floorboard so I can mount the bar, and couldn't get the stinkin' bolts out. So, left it till riding season kicks in here in 2019 and also, my buddy changed his impact drill to something with more torque.,,,,.
Bolt may have loctite on it - maybe even red loctite. Try heating the head with a propane torch. Even if it is rust binding the bolt, heat will help break that free too.

Just got home after a 3 hour drive. Will take some pics in the next hour or so. Pretty warm here today. Might go riding first.

===========
pics below

TMS mustache bar on my '03 SuperG

some ripples in the chrome. Dull areas are some road splat and some adhesive I need to clean off

There's an extra bracket meant to let you use forward controls. I'm running mids right now, and the bar bolted right up to the lower hole.

Last edited by AJ88V; 12-29-2018 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Krash26 (07-06-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 05:31 PM
fxdup
Road Warrior
Received 950 Likes on 605 Posts

Looks good!

Old 07-06-2019, 03:50 AM
Martin Z Jadan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice

I just ordered the same one from Ebay but they run $99.. still not bad considering. I'll post some pics when I get mine on. I have forward controls on my wide glide.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:30 AM
fxdx1985
Road Master
Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Anybody have any pics of the adapter plate? Still trying to get an engine guard that fits with my FXDP floorboards. Can’t find an OEM one anywhere...

Old 07-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Martin Z Jadan
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Krash26
Ordered the same, in matte black, for my Switchback. Got it on eBay, paid a bit more money, but it was shipped quickly and same as your's, packed very well in the box. Welds look great and yes, its heavier than I thought it would be, so seems like a great product. But, have to say, not mounted yet. Tried to remove the left floorboard so I can mount the bar, and couldn't get the stinkin' bolts out. So, left it till riding season kicks in here in 2019 and also, my buddy changed his impact drill to something with more torque. That should do the trick. So, I also decided to have the mustache bar powered coated gloss black. Hardly cost me anything for that, and looks better too. So, I will post pics when its on. But, I do like the product too.
Sweet man. I've looked for a matte black one but only can find the chrome one. Any links bud? Thanks.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Krash26
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Check out TsunamiMotorsports.com on eBay....that's where I found mine. And it was a matte black finish that I ordered....decided to have it powder coated gloss. Looks better....still trying to find time to put that on the bike too.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:12 AM
Martin Z Jadan
6th Gear

Thanks bud. I checked it out and they go for $300 compared to triple chrome one for $99 from same seller.

Do you think if I get the chrome ones , I can get them painted gloss black easily?

Also I have forward controls and not sure where the crash bar would mount any advice?

Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: TMS Mustache Engine Guard - quick review