Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper shock frame sliders length

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:45 PM
Eborjas
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
I think that the "Jury" is still out on the validity of those types of what some people or companies refer as a possible safety device.
There's plenty of videos of crashes with them out there.
I haven't seen a catastrophic "flip" you guys keep mentioning.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:03 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

In the video that Eborjas showed, reckon its of Rob Carpenter the Harley stunter(?), it clearly shows that the crash bar sliding over the concrete joint without any sign of flipping. Its not a small gap either. Just sayin. I guess if you slide over a pot hole or hitting softer ground like grass and gravel, the bike would flip anyways with or without sliders sticking out... or a engine case for that matter. Im not sayin that sliders are immune against flipping...

Old 03-05-2019, 09:49 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

If you have a lathe to male these, I assume you also a chainfall or hoist of some type. Strap up the top of the bike to the hoist and start laying it down until you get danger close. Then measure.

As far as the "flip"...who knows...but I can personally confirm a lowside can become a catastrophic highside as soon as you leave the pavement...without sliders.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:11 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Its just a small metal workshop I have access to, not a big fancy with that kind of lifts :P I think I will just start with 6" from the original bolt and go from there, laying it down and measure and stop when the gap between the exhaust and the ground is noice!

Old 03-06-2019, 12:04 AM
Eborjas
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb
Its just a small metal workshop I have access to, not a big fancy with that kind of lifts :P I think I will just start with 6" from the original bolt and go from there, laying it down and measure and stop when the gap between the exhaust and the ground is noice!
Let us know what the smallest size you can measure out is.
Maybe you can make me some small ones.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:24 AM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

Thanks, but I already know this. Im also running the bungking crash bar. Looks? Haha, it looks much better without these sliders of course. Im doing it for the protection. The picture is just a reference for measure taken from bungking, I just added the red.

Like you said, maybe I should make it shortest possible, just long enough to protect my exhaust. Delrin by nature is very resistant to shattering under high impact and has a slippery quality, making it slip across the pavement as opposed to digging in and causing the bike to flip.
Actually poor impact. I machine hundreds of pounds of acetal resin every year. I would reinforce internally with aluminum.

Wear-Resistant Easy-to-Machine Delrin® Acetal Resin Tubes

• Color: White or Black
  • Temperature Range:
    6" Lengths: 0° to 180° F
    All other sizes: -20° to 180° F
  • Tensile Strength: 7,690 psi (Good)
  • Impact Strength: 1-1.5 ft.-lbs./in. (Poor)
  • Hardness: Rockwell R120-R122 (Hard)
  • For Use Outdoors: No
  • Specifications Met: See table

Old 03-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Blue Bob
Actually poor impact. I machine hundreds of pounds of acetal resin every year. I would reinforce internally with aluminum.

Wear-Resistant Easy-to-Machine Delrin® Acetal Resin Tubes

• Color: White or Black
  • Temperature Range:
    6" Lengths: 0° to 180° F
    All other sizes: -20° to 180° F
  • Tensile Strength: 7,690 psi (Good)
  • Impact Strength: 1-1.5 ft.-lbs./in. (Poor)
  • Hardness: Rockwell R120-R122 (Hard)
  • For Use Outdoors: No
  • Specifications Met: See table
Im not saying that you are wrong or right, but delrin has been used for motorcycle sliders quit a while now and the material is proven to work for this purpose. So the impact strength is poor, but still it wont shatter to million pieces but keep its shape more or less and slide. The description from my post about delrin its not saying anything about impact strength either...

Last edited by Bob_fxdb; 03-06-2019 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eborjas (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 03:38 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

Im not saying that you are wrong or right, but delrin has been used for motorcycle sliders quit a while now and the material is proven to work for this purpose. So the impact strength is poor, but still it wont shatter to million pieces but keep its shape more or less and slide. The description from my post about delrin its not saying anything about impact strength either...
Breaking into a million pieces is irrelevant, it's brittle and if cantilevered out more than an inch or two it will simply break off.

Yes it's a great material but so is UHMW. If I were to use acetyl resin I would reinforce internally especially at attachment points.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by union53
What is your purpose for these? Looks or actual protection? If those are for protection then they are way too long. Once those things touch the ground they will snap right off if you're lucky. If your unlucky they will hook up on something and get your bike spin and/ or tumbling. Generally the shortest you can make them where they will do their intended job of protecting the frame.

Ditto (If those are for protection then they are way too long)

Old 03-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Yeye, the picture is just for reference as mentioned further up. The length is discussed already and I dont see the point on commenting on that again.
You wrote that the tensile strength is good, so I reckon the chance for the delrin to bend is very possible instead of snapping off? I would say the impact in the first video posted is HARD, if the delrin didnt break off there then I think thats a good result. Imagine how big of a accident it has to be to break a delrin... I think the bike would be totaled regardless anyways...

I have a pair of delrin sliders in my hands, thats why im using it. Its nothing more then that, and I also know this is a proven material for the purpose im using it on... as mentioned.