Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper shock frame sliders length

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 02:50 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Upper shock frame sliders length

Somebody using this on their 06+ dynas? Is there any recommended length on these?

Reason I ask is that I have some delrin sliders laying around and thinking on using them for this purpose. Im thinking on turning some custom spacers and wondering what length you running? Measuring from end of frame.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:50 PM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

What is your purpose for these? Looks or actual protection? If those are for protection then they are way too long. Once those things touch the ground they will snap right off if you're lucky. If your unlucky they will hook up on something and get your bike spin and/ or tumbling. Generally the shortest you can make them where they will do their intended job of protecting the frame.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:00 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Thanks, but I already know this. Im also running the bungking crash bar. Looks? Haha, it looks much better without these sliders of course. Im doing it for the protection. The picture is just a reference for measure taken from bungking, I just added the red.

Like you said, maybe I should make it shortest possible, just long enough to protect my exhaust. Delrin by nature is very resistant to shattering under high impact and has a slippery quality, making it slip across the pavement as opposed to digging in and causing the bike to flip.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:16 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob_fxdb
Delrin by nature is very resistant to shattering under high impact and has a slippery quality, making it slip across the pavement as opposed to digging in and causing the bike to flip.
In theory. The reality may differ.

Dave

Old 03-05-2019, 07:32 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Maybe, maybe not. The thread purpose is not to discuss if this type of protection is good or not, if delrin is digging or sliding or if I should or should not have these on my bike. I just find these inexpensive and replaceable sliders convenient and also protects my bike the way I like

I just wondering what length people who has upper shock sliders has on their Dynas

The following users liked this post:
ricofico (05-22-2020)
Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Eborjas
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I hate that anytime these bung king style crash bars come up in a topic, someone goes waaaay off topic and starts claiming that the bike WILL flip, that it WILL grab on. I've seen these slide for meters

Anyway. The official site offers 4 inch and 6 inch. I plan on buying the 4 inch.
If i were making them myself? For the least sticking out look, I would probably make them the length that the air cleaner and transmission stick out.
That way on a tip over it can still lay on the side without touching.
Just know that any bend during a wipe out would bend them far enough to lose the protection on the parts that stick out the most(Aircleaner and transmission)

Here's a video of them in action for those naysayers

Facebook Post

you may have to be logged in to view.

The following 2 users liked this post by Eborjas:
Mutineer (03-06-2019), ricofico (05-22-2020)
Old 03-05-2019, 08:13 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

@Eborjas, right? Haha😂

I will lock them pegs tight so those would save the bottom part and exhaust, three impact points each side. The bike is a bit raised and I’m running San Diego customs pegs with angled bottom to give it more lean angle. For upper part the shock sliders and handlebar would take the hit and save the tins, so it should be all good if I’m flipping the bike.... 😅

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Bob_fxdb; 03-05-2019 at 08:15 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ricofico (05-22-2020)
Old 03-05-2019, 08:25 PM
Eborjas
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah. Handlebars will always be collateral damage.

So you plan on using your pegs as sliders? Did I get that right?
Crash bar, upper shocks, and front pegs? Never seen the front pegs done. Just the rear.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:37 PM
Bob_fxdb
Road Captain

Not mainly for sliders, but its cheaper and easier to replace the pegs then a damaged exhaust and engine case...
I reckon the crash bar will take the hit before the main pegs, but i have to lay the bike down the check it :P

Hmm, when im thinking about it, the pegs should slide before the crash bar haha. Maybe its not that smart to lock them tight, only the passenger pegs

Last edited by Bob_fxdb; 03-05-2019 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:40 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

I think that the "Jury" is still out on the validity of those types of what some people or companies refer as a possible safety device.

Quick Reply: Upper shock frame sliders length