Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another FLD vibration thread (question)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:40 PM
ZEROPILOT
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Another FLD vibration thread (question)

I'm still getting used to my Switchback FLD.
I've read many posts about the vibration. But most of these are old posts.
My FLD has dual Vance and Hines exhaust. The stock exhaust was thought to be the cause of the vibration in those earlier posts.
It also has a tuner for the FI. It runs well around town.
My bike is all but unridable at highway speeds. The vibration as really, really bad. So bad that the mirrors become invisible and I feel like the fillings will shake out of my teeth.
This is at about 3k rpm.
Have there been any findings recently? Any tips or help on how to tone this down a bit?
It is a horrible highway bike at this time.
Will I be relegated to take the back roads and stay below 65 miles an hour?

Old 05-28-2019, 09:02 PM
pgrchaplain
Road Captain
Received 523 Likes on 246 Posts

I have a 13 FLD and did the Exhaust fix. Mine has very little vibration. Does it Vibrate Bad when you Free Rev the motor to 3000 RPM's? How many miles on the Bike?

Old 05-29-2019, 05:47 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

At least it only does it at highway speeds.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:47 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

1st Harley? The reality is that they all vibrate, to what degree and to what is acceptable is subjective. To some what you are describing is perfectly normal to others even the slightest vibration sends them yelling about it.

if it’s what you described I can almost gareentee you that it’s one of two things...your power train alignment or your front motor mount.
for the alignment check out F86’s thread on it, he has one of the best totorials on doing this....
for the mount, if you have low mileage you might get a away with shimming it, if your over 10k then replace it with a predator mount, CCE or the new on market vibretecs...

The following users liked this post:
F86 (05-30-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 09:30 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 354 Likes on 213 Posts

You didn't say what year your bike is, but changing mounts is treating the symptom, rather than the cause (Been down that road). Sounds like fuel starvation. Harley ECMs are made in China and are often the culprit for poor runnings. If you can find a competent mechanic (nearly impossible) to play with that tuner, have him dyno tune it.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:05 AM
Durham man
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,427 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEROPILOT
I'm still getting used to my Switchback FLD.
I've read many posts about the vibration. But most of these are old posts.
My FLD has dual Vance and Hines exhaust. The stock exhaust was thought to be the cause of the vibration in those earlier posts.
It also has a tuner for the FI. It runs well around town.
My bike is all but unridable at highway speeds. The vibration as really, really bad. So bad that the mirrors become invisible and I feel like the fillings will shake out of my teeth.
This is at about 3k rpm.
Have there been any findings recently? Any tips or help on how to tone this down a bit?
It is a horrible highway bike at this time.
Will I be relegated to take the back roads and stay below 65 miles an hour?
Everything you are describeding is far from normal. My dyna has never vibrated so bad that I could not see threw my mirrors. I can see threw them from idle to 100mph. From stock to were it’s at now. The most I had was a slight vibration that the shave and shim front mount cured. Check to see if the mount is rubbing on the engine bracket. Find a reputable builder to check it out,

ZEROPILOT (06-02-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 11:59 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
You didn't say what year your bike is, but changing mounts is treating the symptom, rather than the cause (Been down that road). Sounds like fuel starvation. Harley ECMs are made in China and are often the culprit for poor runnings. If you can find a competent mechanic (nearly impossible) to play with that tuner, have him dyno tune it.
I apologize to any newer people around who may find this comment out of context... But...

Hugger: I completely understand you've had a frustrating experience with your Dyna. I've pretty much followed all of it over quite a bit of time, and I would truly be happy if you finally solved all your issues and started enjoying your bike.

However... If you pay attention to the forum, you'll know these things can be frustrating to resolve and have many potential causes, but you'll also know that MANY people have successfully resolved vibration and wobble issues by addressing air pressure or wheel bearings or swingarm bearings or fall away or suspension preload or motor mounts or drivetrain alignment or misaligned exhaust or sidestand pins, etc. These fixes are not always "treating the symptom" as you say. In many cases finding the right one of these things is finding the cause. Your constant insistence that every trace of vibration instantly means a bad crankshaft or a bad ECU and that all mechanics know nothing is neither helpful, nor accurate.

No personal disrespect intended.

The following 7 users liked this post by F86:
Campy Roadie (06-02-2019), crusader1xxx (06-02-2019), GWC68 (06-01-2019), joe40x (05-30-2019), Max Headflow (06-03-2019), tgmotoman (05-31-2019), Vec (05-31-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-30-2019, 02:26 PM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

His latest kick is "Harley ECMs are made in China!" Something else to ad to his inane ramblings.

The following 2 users liked this post by joe40x:
Campy Roadie (06-02-2019), crusader1xxx (06-02-2019)
Old 05-30-2019, 08:18 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,209 Likes on 742 Posts

I recall from past HUGGERBUGGER posts, he wanted to know if there were any GOOD Indies out there. Dude can't work on his own bike, and he has "knowledge" of repairs? LMFAO

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasScooterTrash:
Campy Roadie (06-02-2019), crusader1xxx (06-02-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 08:38 AM
tgmotoman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a FLD also, first thing first, make sure the exhaust is properly installed.

Next check the front motor mount, the are prone to failure due to placement under the oil filter. Rear motor mount could be an issue, check it also. Your lloking for torn damaged rubber isolators.

Check the free play on the front neck bearings, this adjust as well as the head bolt can cause vibration issues.

Check the tires, how old are they? Cupped or off center tread wear? proper inflation?

check those and lets see where your at.

ZEROPILOT (06-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Another FLD vibration thread (question)