Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam fitment question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 01:33 PM
805dwg
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Cam fitment question

I have a ‘11 Dyna FXDWG Wide Glide and came up on a Fueling cam set (parts listed below) that was bought for a ‘06 Dyna FXDI Super Glide. I was told it will work on my ‘11 but the cam plate needs to be changed. I’m trying to find where to get a new cam plate and if anything else needs to be changed?
Thanks for the help!

Fueling Reaper 543 cams pt. #1020
Fueling lifters pt#4000
Fueling oil pump kit #7084
Fueling chain tensioner #8077
S&S adj pushrod kit #93-9095

Old 07-03-2019, 08:25 PM
Trench
Cruiser
Received 151 Likes on 61 Posts

06 Dyna has the newer hydraulic tensioner cam plate...

Old 07-03-2019, 09:23 PM
crusader1xxx
Road Master
Received 246 Likes on 193 Posts

Pretty much everyone makes a plate, screaming chicken, S&S, Zippers..even fueling probably has one....

Old 07-03-2019, 10:38 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 233 Likes on 144 Posts

Check with Fueling, but I think it should work with your stock plate.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:08 AM
Pylot7
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I am not an expert on this but when I bought my 11 FXDC I did a lot of homework to figure out what was a good year range to buy in. I had heard of all kinds of teething problems that Harley had pushed to customers.

My understanding is that in 06 Harley implemented all of the fixes that had plagued the previous years of the 96 inch motors.

I don't know if there was a transition month or if all 06's came with the engineering fixes.

So when you say you were told you need a different cam plate I think there are two possibilities. One is that you can, I am pretty sure, get an upgraded cam plate or the other is that the seller thinks you may need it to accommodate the Fueling tensioners or oil pump.

Why not go to a place that sells Fueling parts and see what it would take to put that cam in your bike?

The only thing besides a gasket set I can think of right off is that you can get a set of push rod covers that are designed for use with adjustable push rods. It may be technically possible to use the adjustables you have but its really easy with a set that gives you all of the access you need to get to the rods and lock the adjustment nut. You probably already know you should get a cam bearing removal/installation tool and a pair of new bearings.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:21 PM
Blue Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,013 Likes on 602 Posts

And have an indie with the proper test fixture for the oil pump bypass plunger and spring assembly test the assembly.

Most plungers leak and the spring pressure is too weak giving you very low oil pressure at idle.

I built a test fixture and precision ground the existing plunger and shimmed the spring. Now bypass releases at 47 PSI and resets at 25 PSI

Old 07-06-2019, 04:18 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Pylot7
I am not an expert on this but when I bought my 11 FXDC I did a lot of homework to figure out what was a good year range to buy in. I had heard of all kinds of teething problems that Harley had pushed to customers.

My understanding is that in 06 Harley implemented all of the fixes that had plagued the previous years of the 96 inch motors.

I don't know if there was a transition month or if all 06's came with the engineering fixes.

So when you say you were told you need a different cam plate I think there are two possibilities. One is that you can, I am pretty sure, get an upgraded cam plate or the other is that the seller thinks you may need it to accommodate the Fueling tensioners or oil pump.

Why not go to a place that sells Fueling parts and see what it would take to put that cam in your bike?

The only thing besides a gasket set I can think of right off is that you can get a set of push rod covers that are designed for use with adjustable push rods. It may be technically possible to use the adjustables you have but its really easy with a set that gives you all of the access you need to get to the rods and lock the adjustment nut. You probably already know you should get a cam bearing removal/installation tool and a pair of new bearings.
Exactly what teething problems do you mean?
96ci engines came out in the 07 bikes, 06 and earlier bikes were 88ci.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:16 PM
805dwg
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I’m going to check with a local shop that sells Fueling. Does anyone know of a good DIY cam installation guide or video? I’ve never done it before and I’m beginning to think I may need some guidance.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:57 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 728 Likes on 404 Posts

Here ya go.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:54 AM
805dwg
Cruiser

Perfect, thanks. I’ll let you know how it goes after I get a new cam plate. I’m assuming the bike needs to be tuned again?

Quick Reply: Cam fitment question