Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sudden fluid leak from brakes??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 09:18 AM
NO4NJNK
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Sudden fluid leak from brakes??

Ok, i decided to change my front brake pads on my 2015 dyna wide glide. I replaced the rear about a month ago. Everything was going as planned and looking normal until i unbolted the front brake caliper. As soon as i removed the caliper from the front rotor, brake fluid started running out of the caliper all over my floor. I removed the front caliper master cylinder cap and as soon as i did that, it really started pouring out the front caliper.
Did i do something wrong unbolting the caliper? I did this just as the manual explains it. The banjo fitting did not come loose. I just finished riding all day yesterday with no issues. Pads are first time replacement, 22,000 miles on bike.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:44 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Where on the caliper is the leak coming from? Could be a few things off the top of my head. Line is bad and you moving the caliper just finished the job. Seals for the pucks could have gone bad. Pucks could have extended too far out past the seal.

The following users liked this post:
twoglides13 (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:57 AM
NO4NJNK
Tourer

The pads are pretty thin. I didnt know that the pucks could move out to far?
I need to go get some brake clean and try to find out where exactly the leak is coming from at the caliper.
This just doesnt make sense? The brakes were working perfectly (always have) till now.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:59 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Sounds like you did it hot and did not brake cap on the master. Pressure pushed the piston out of the caliper. Guess if you were rough, you could have torn hose?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-21-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:00 AM
NO4NJNK
Tourer

And..i have not yet removed the old pads from the leaking caliper. I was leaving them in to press the pucks back into the caliper to install the new pads

Old 07-21-2019, 10:03 AM
NO4NJNK
Tourer

I didnt remove the master cylinder cap first when i removed the caliper.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

When I do the first and second replacement, I take some fluid out of master. I pull caliper and remove pads. I put a shim of plywood in and push pistons out a little farther then they have been (but not too far!) and shoe polish them clean before pushing them back. The third set of pads need a total rebuild of everything. Depending on time, maybe even the second.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-21-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:15 AM
NO4NJNK
Tourer

Can the pistons in the caliper get pushed out too far? Because i left the master cylinder cap ON when i pulled the caliper off.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NO4NJNK
Can the pistons in the caliper get pushed out too far? Because i left the master cylinder cap ON when i pulled the caliper off.
You need to decide where fluid came from and answer that. I have lost count long ago on all the brake jobs i have done and never had it happen. My thought is it would have been tight on rotor if that much pressure was in system.

Also since this is a 4 piston caliper, if pads were very thin, pushing caliper over pushed fluid out behind them. Since master was capped and fluid was not dipped out, it pushed on the other side piston and pushed them out.

Caliper needs rebuilt or replaced and properly bleed. Do not attempt to do this out of a service manual without doing a lot of other home work or with someone experienced .

You are truly asking questions or not telling what is going on . Sounds to me like you lack the mechanical experience to safely do what you are trying to do. Not trying to be a jerk here and we all need to learn. I started at 16 with a year of shop in automechanics.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 07-21-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:01 PM
NO4NJNK
Tourer

Ripsaw, i agree with you completely. I have done many disk brake jobs over the years on cars. So, i know the concept on how the system works. But not exactly on a motorcycle. Like i said in the beginning. I did the back brake with no issues at all.
As soon as i took the front caliper off the rotor (without first taking the cap off the master cylinder) all hell broke loose before i could do anything. Brake fluid went everywhere. I just got back from autozone with some brake kleen. Im going to go spray it down and try and find out where the leak is coming from. Ill be back soon with my findings.

Quick Reply: Sudden fluid leak from brakes??