Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking off front fender

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:34 AM
h9ll
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Taking off front fender

I've noticed something when riding with my brother who rides a RKC with the full fender. When we stop after riding for an hour or so there is a noticeable difference in how much road grime I'm wearin' on my face compared to him. Given that fact, there is no way I'd even think about taking the fender off...

Old 07-15-2007, 10:06 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't go near a puddle or your screwed. Found this out todayfor the first time since I took mine off and it wasn't fun.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:59 PM
dynacruiser
Advanced

I took mine off for a while. Looked cool but the first time it rained the front tire shot a rooster tail right down the middle of my face. It was quite unpleasant. I put it back on and haven't had it off since.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 AM
strich
Tourer

buncha women...

took mine off, and yeah, you get everything thrown in your face, but what do you expect? you aren't caging it, so you aren't gonna stay clean regardless if you have a fender or not. the occasional splash from a puddle is refreshing in the summer heat. and if you don't like having your boots and knees down on the jeans soaked, don't do it during a rain (or right after).

Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 AM
dog06bob
Tourer

Ihad mine off for a while until I hit some road kill. The bike and myself got splatted with chunks of rancid meat and blood. Nasty! Put it back on that day. I really liked the look, but it does serve a purpose.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wisemx

For front end stability you SHOULD NOT run without the front fender...
Unless you have a fork brace installed.

You may be amazed by how much stability that front fender offers the front forks.
Prove it. Your stating that like it is fact. I beg to differ.

Harley did not design the front fender as a stressed member. Every dirtbike Since the mid 80's runs basically our same front suspension without a fender.

I personally do not have a front fender and did not notice ANY difference from when I had the fender, in the stability department. I think a fork brace is a good idea but with or without a fender...the fender doesn't do enough "stabilizing" to make any difference...

Old 07-16-2007, 02:41 PM
Babe
Advanced

A couple of years back I changed the front fender of my wife's Sportster for an after-market model, then took it for a test run, everything was fine until I came to make a right turn into a side street, moved into the centre of the road(we drive on the other side here in the UK), and hit the front brake. Well, despite what's been said previously, the forks twisted, and skewed the bike to the left, in front of the traffic that was moving up my inside. It was a very close call indeed, and I'm glad I was riding and not the wife - I fitted a fork brace immediately after that incident, and all was well. So, ignore some of the nonsense spouted earlier, the fender's there for more than just appearances!

Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 PM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i REALLY doubt that the fender adds any significant support. Most metrics run plastic fenders, hd sells plastic fenders for the fatboy (street stalker fender) and there's no support on the inside. All dirt bikes use plastic fenders. Dirt trackers don't use fenders or fork braces. Doesn't sound right to me. Would you really ride your bike if you thot that that cheap *** thin gauge front fender was what was stabilizing your forks?

Old 07-16-2007, 04:11 PM
h9ll
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: strich

buncha women...

took mine off, and yeah, you get everything thrown in your face, but what do you expect? you aren't caging it, so you aren't gonna stay clean regardless if you have a fender or not. the occasional splash from a puddle is refreshing in the summer heat. and if you don't like having your boots and knees down on the jeans soaked, don't do it during a rain (or right after).
Now that's pretty funny coming from a guy who runs a windshield...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1897792/m...tm.htm#1901737

Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 PM
murfe
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

took the fender off about a year ago... haven't noticed any more or less wobble or give in the front fork.

rain does suck, but then it sucks with a front fender. if you take it off, ANY liquid you roll through will fly straight back at you... but that's why you watch the road and try to avoid it.

Quick Reply: Taking off front fender