Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Street Bob wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 07:46 AM
zamp1288
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 Street Bob wobble

I am having issues with my 2008 Street Bob vibrating. It was real bad and would stabilize at about 60 MPH. I changed both engine mounts and it got much better. I still have a vibration that feels like the engine is moving side to side, which is what it did before. However it now stabilizes at about 25-30 MPH. I sorta did the procedure where you loosen the engine mount bolts and run the engine. It did not help. However when I did that i did not have a way of jacking the rear wheel. I ordered a jack and plan on doing it again and also doing the alignment on the top mount, although it does not appear to be out of specs. My question is does anyone know that the procedure in the manual is likely to fix my issue. I have to wait for decent weather since my garage is packed full of other toys for the winter. I appreciate any feedback anyone has with engine mount issues.

Old 01-03-2020, 01:12 PM
fafcpa
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You might also check the rear wheel bearing.

Old 01-03-2020, 03:02 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by fafcpa
You might also check the rear wheel bearing.
...and the neck bearings for condition/adjustment. And tire pressure/balance/condition. And drive belt tension/alignment. And maybe you just need an engine stabilizer. Or possibly swingarm bearings... When you say the top link "does not seem to be out of spec," did you actually measure anything or use any sort level? Can you confirm that the rear wheel is actually vertical (which is what the top link controls)?

There are so many variables...

Old 01-06-2020, 12:06 PM
zamp1288
Novice

At least I know along with all the knowledge here I will also get to find out just how smart some people are when they yell at you like a small school child! But at least I will know how smart they are!

Old 01-06-2020, 12:19 PM
zamp1288
Novice

Thanks I will do that.

Old 01-06-2020, 09:41 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by zamp1288
At least I know along with all the knowledge here I will also get to find out just how smart some people are when they yell at you like a small school child! But at least I will know how smart they are!
I do not know if you are intentionally trying to come across like an ***, but Tarik asked you some very pointed questions, not yelling. If you are thinking of yourself as a small school child, I would keep that to yourself. Your original post used the words, "sorta" and " does not appear". That gave Tarik, and even myself, wonder about your procedures. Enough said.

Something has to be fairly out of wack to be getting wobble at such slow speeds. Seeing that your bike is 12 years old, pull apart the neck and swing arm and rebuild/repack with grease/what is necessary to get those to fresh factory specs. How old are the tires?

You said you would appreciate any feedback with engine mount issues. Tarik and myself did, and while Tarik did his own work, I paid professionals. I don't know about Tarik, but my bike tracks true, with no wobble, well over double the speeds you are talking about. Either way you want to do it, we are here to help.

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by TOE_CUTTER:
bigbadpoppa (01-06-2020), F86 (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 09:45 PM
TOE_CUTTER
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 207 Posts

I just re-read your post. Are you having an issue with strictly vibration? Wobble and vibration are two different issues.

Dave

Old 01-06-2020, 10:50 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 115 Posts

Use some modesty when asking for help. Tons of great people on here. Dont be "that guy".

Tires itself could be a culprit. Especially 10 yr old tires with flat spots or uneven wear over the years. Start with the basics before taking apart everything to possible save yourself from grief and money. Gremlin wobbles are the worse. God speed.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:23 AM
zamp1288
Novice

Originally Posted by TOE_CUTTER
I do not know if you are intentionally trying to come across like an ***, but Tarik asked you some very pointed questions, not yelling. If you are thinking of yourself as a small school child, I would keep that to yourself. Your original post used the words, "sorta" and " does not appear". That gave Tarik, and even myself, wonder about your procedures. Enough said.

Something has to be fairly out of wack to be getting wobble at such slow speeds. Seeing that your bike is 12 years old, pull apart the neck and swing arm and rebuild/repack with grease/what is necessary to get those to fresh factory specs. How old are the tires?

You said you would appreciate any feedback with engine mount issues. Tarik and myself did, and while Tarik did his own work, I paid professionals. I don't know about Tarik, but my bike tracks true, with no wobble, well over double the speeds you are talking about. Either way you want to do it, we are here to help.

Dave
I did mean to come across as an ***. I know there is a lot of knowledge here. I simply asked is this likely yo fix it. It is the way someone always responds just like you are that drive folks away. Answers are always more about how much you know then a simple yes or no. I realize there may be other issues and I need to check them and i will. Every forum on every subject is the same which make them worthless. I will leave and let you brag about all you know and you can build this site on yourself and all you "Paid pros" One last thing ,kiss my ***!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:57 AM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 898 Likes on 599 Posts

Sheesh... I was honestly just trying to give the guy a list of likely wobble causes and things to check...

Quick Reply: 2008 Street Bob wobble