Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

180 wide tire kit issue solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
HANDLER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200 next generation set up

Ok here is the deal.
The 6" wide wheel is the largest wheel with 200 tire combination that can be shoehorned into an FXD with the stock fender set up.
I bought this bike new about 6 months ago and put it on the lift and tore into it.
I experimented with differnet combinations.
We build show bikes here and have the tools and means to do some tricky things.
All that was required to make this set up work was the following:
We installed a quick release sissy bar brkt with its stock HD hardware.
We cleaned up everything inside the fender including all fasteners and anything else that stuck out.
We replaced the stock turn signals with smaller ones and relocated them to the first hole of the fender rail (most forward hole).
When we had the fender off and apart, we spread the fender ever so slightly by adjsuting the spacer between the fender and fenderrail and doing some every minor grinding on the inner face of the frame rail to allow the fender to "Spred" perhaps 1/8" more than stock. This may not have even been necessary but I felt better about it.
We then did the traditional experimenting and mocking up of thewheel/pulley/belt guard, etc to get the spacing right on it. We needed to machine some new spacers for the pulley and axle but it was nothing radical.
All in all, it was very easy to do and everthing aligned perfectly.
Since the mod, I've now put about 2500 miles on it and just got back from Sturgis.
Everything is true and correct and has been running perfectly.
The looks I get with it and attention are quite remarkable.
The wheel is custom built using the orignal wheel as a base piece.
The wheel was resized from its 4.5" width to a full 6.0" width. I also increased the diameter of the wheel from 17" to 18" as its a much better look/ better tire availability and is the exact same overall height as the oem set up.
Now as to my Honda connection.
I have been offering Chrome exchange for over 3 years now for Honda motorcycles. we have also been building aand customizing honda VTX's for show, etc.
We found a niche here in that no one esle in the country was doing this and everyone and their brother was doing the HD stuff.
We have just recently however gotten into the HD thing in terms of offering some chrome exchange and custom work on them.
I grew up in a Harley family and ride them but just found it easier to make money with the metrics at the time. Now a lot of others have gotten into the metric business including many of the top bike builders.
My web site has not yet been updated to include the Harley stuff but it will.
Sorry for the long explanation buddy.
Mike
HANDLER

ORIGINAL: DyNaMc

The link seems to be all honda. What did you have to modify or change to run a 6x18?

Old 08-27-2007, 12:52 AM
HANDLER
Advanced
Default RE: 180 wide tire kit issue solved

As promised, here is the picture of the 200 rear tire.

[IMG]local://upfiles/27846/2673E645DE304D30AB5B6317B21DB572.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2008, 10:50 AM
mmontgomery
Intermediate

Help! Im wanting to put a 17 x 6 softtail rim in my 06 superglide. Will part #43861-08 do the job? any info is appreciated. ty

Old 03-09-2008, 02:53 PM
fergusonjody
Novice

I am new to this forum. I ride a 98 convertible. Does anyone know how wide I can go? If the new er swingarm will work on my bike?, or were I can go to find this information. The dealer in my area is not very helpful or even knowledgeable

Old 03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
steelcowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 200 next generation set up

Hi I was just wondering I'm looking and doing a very similar mod and I was looking at a 5.5 " wheel. Do you think from your experiance that that would help in anyway simplfy the process

Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 330 Posts

Bump...looking for info for a '97 Wide Glide. Please PM me, thanks.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:17 PM
fergusonjody
Novice

I am sure this post is tiring for some. I have searched all posts with wide rear in them, & nothing on the older bikes. If someone would be kind enough to measure the inside of there swingarm, & inner fender widthon a newer dyna I will be able to go from there & figure this out for my self.

thanks Ferg

Old 10-08-2008, 08:09 PM
snackdog
Intermediate

Does anyone know what the correct tire pressure spec is for a Street Bob with the 180mm wide tire kit installed? The dealer thought it was the same as the original tires -- does anyone know for sure?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:58 PM
cmonster
Tourer
Default se180

what exactly comes in the se kit besides the tire?

Old 10-08-2008, 11:05 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master

Originally Posted by snackdog
Does anyone know what the correct tire pressure spec is for a Street Bob with the 180mm wide tire kit installed? The dealer thought it was the same as the original tires -- does anyone know for sure?
what does it say on the tire?

Quick Reply: 180 wide tire kit issue solved