Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Front Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:27 AM
AR_Guy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Front Turn Signals

I'm having some trouble finding this information in my shop manual.

I'm trying to replace the front and rear turn signals on my 2000 Dyna Low Rider with HD's bullets. I'm also relocating the fronts to the forks using HD's kit. The instructions say to pull the wiring out of the frame and unplug them. But from where? Is it under the electrical access panel on the left side of the bike? I'm having some problems removing that chrome cover for access.

I know the rears plug into the taillights, but the fronts are causing me some grief. If anyone has some tips, please let me know.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:00 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Default RE: Replacing Front Turn Signals

Trust me...don't use HD's relocation kit, your going to hate them as all the other members on here who have used this relocation kit have. They stick out too far & look retarded! If I knew how they were going to look I would have never moved them in the first place.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:40 PM
bikerdog134
Road Master

the electrical cover just pulls off .mine is a very tight fit but it does pull off. you could take the seat off and pry the top out some. that has worked for me. hope this helps

Old 09-28-2007, 03:08 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As FXDC mentioned, many of us did this and didn't like them. I'd return them and get different ones before you open the box. But remember, this is our opinion, you do what you want.

But, if you feel you still want to do it, for the front, the wires are under the gas tank, in the frame. Just look under the tank, you'll see a fuel line crossover hose, it's the black plastic panel on the underside of the frame.

In reality, I was doing my tank lift at the same time, so it was kinda easy for me to do the front relocation.

If it were me, and you want to see how they look before going through the rest of the work, just take the turn signals off the handlebars, and put the relocation ones on without putting the wires through the chrome plastic extention that comes with the kit that sticks out a mile from the forks.

I eneded up making my own bolts (just the other day)so my signalswill bejust up against the fork, but now I have to go through all that trouble again and get the damn wires back out of the first kit. I actually will probably just end up smashing the plastic chrome extentions, being I'll never want to use them again.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:12 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

I actually will probably just end up smashing the plastic chrome extentions, being I'll never want to use them again.
Dido whenever I get mine off!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:15 PM
AR_Guy
Tourer

Thanks for the replys.

FXDC Rider: A little late now. I bought and opened them already. I looked at your gallery, they only looked strage in two of the photos. I do wish they were the type that clampped to the forks so I could mount them in different locations. I should have asked before, but these will do for now. They may not look too bad with the tool bag between them.

bikerdog134: So the wires plug in behind that cover? I noticed that the manuel says no tools required, but the bolts on the cover threw me off. I'll look at it again when I get home tonight.

This whole thing has been a pain in the butt. I went to change my crappy Buckhorn handle bars to newer Low Rider bars. The dealer didn't have them in stock. The girl in the parts dept. pulled out some bars that they did have, so I could get a feel for them. I went in for new bars and hand grips. I came out with $946. in parts and a bunch of work to do.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

FXDC Rider: A little late now. I bought and opened them already. I looked at your gallery, they only looked strage in two of the photos.
Ya, from the side angle they don't look too bad...wait till you look at them straight on from the front & when your in the seat looking foward & down at them...like something out of "Star Wars"![sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=badidea.gif]Throw them back in the box & take them back to Harley. Just tell them your extremely not happy with the way they look...they'll take 'em back. Maybe if enough of us do it they won't make the dammm things anymore!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
ClarkFXDC
Tourer

I really hate the stock "buckhorns". I put on 01-05 lowrider bars.
You can see them in my sig pic.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:44 PM
AR_Guy
Tourer

Wow! A lot of hate for these things on here. Can they be cut down? I'd prefer not to take them back to the dealer, but I see what you guys are saying.

Travlinman314: So they plug into a panel under the tank? I already have a Jackyl 2" tank lift on my bike, that was another pain in the a$$ to install.

ClarkFXDC: Your bike looks great. Those are the bars I wanted but they didn't have them in stock. I was desparate to change those damn Buckhorns so I bought other bars. I have no idea what they belong on, but I installed them and they feel real nice. I'll know after I ride with them. The bars are cheap, everything else put me in te poor house.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM
ClarkFXDC
Tourer

AR, is that for armalite or AR-15?
Post a pic when you get the bars on.

Quick Reply: Replacing Front Turn Signals