Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windsheilds again

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 AM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default windsheilds again

i put h.d.compact q.d. on my 06 superglide.wind coming from under tank and bottom of sheild is terrible. tried to adjust.didnt help much . any ideas????

Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: windsheilds again

I can't remember where I found this but here is a link for an odd invention. Looks kinda wild but if it works like the video I might get one myself. I have an 07 Street Bob with a Harley quick release screen and I get the same thing. It isn't terrible but quite annoying.

http://jacksflaps.com/info.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/43328/B26CE4EA2EF846E78C34699CBFCE8946.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser

Well duh,

I found where I got the link from it is one of the Forum sponsors....................am I slow or what.........

Old 10-07-2007, 12:04 PM
matkiwi
Road Master

ORIGINAL: txtec

i put h.d.compact q.d. on my 06 superglide.wind coming from under tank and bottom of sheild is terrible. tried to adjust .didnt help much . any ideas ????
tank lift
forward controls
bigger lamp
fork bag
memphis shades lowers
jack flaps

get used to it ... its wind and ur on a bike after all !

Old 10-07-2007, 09:04 PM
Travlinman314
Road Captain

I also have the #58346-06 HD QD Compact for my FXD.

Played alot with it while learning likes and dislikes, higher, lower, etc... air buffeting was terrible.
Thought about lowers, which would work in my opinion, but I found I don't like looking through windshield, or even at the suggested height of nose level sitting in comfortable riding position (which was actually where it was when at the lowest setting according to directions). I also wanted the shield to be QD, and lowers were a little more work, not the 10 seconds it takes for only the shield in either direction, install or take off.

Tried many suggestions from people on this forum, even fabricated parts to adjust the angle, parts to have the shield way below the lowest height while keeping the clamps above the lower tree, but in the end, I learned that each person and bike are different. ( I did have some funky looking contraptions)

If I were to start over again, knowing what I've tried, I'd first start with the shield at it's lowest setting, and a fork type bag under the headlight, (has worked for some, and does keep some air from coming under). You could also set the shield with the bottom clamp under the lower tree, (some argue that hitting a big bump or pothole would have shocks come up and knock it off, doubt it, in my opinion, shocks travel is 3/4 at most under the worst circumstance, and only 1/2 way up so far in my experience). This is my opinion, and we all know about opinions.

After 2 1/2 months playing and modifying, almost throwing the HD QD shield in the trash because of frustration, terrible buffeting above 55 - 60 mph, below is what my final modifications were, which I now am able to sit in a (sort of) bubble without the wind pounding my chest, no buffeting from below, and only a nice easy breeze in may face, while all objects (insects, leavesand such), never get near me. Oh yeah, at 80 mph, above that, my bubble starts fading slowly until 90 mph, which is as high as my testing went this weekend.

Final shield height is almost chin height, (maybe just under my chin), I can see right over it, and the ground about 20 ft. out over the shield. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam, 225#.

* I did replace my headlight with a billet type, still 5 3/4", ebay about $50.
* I cut 1 3/4" out of the headlight part of the winshield, (followed headlight shape) so I could attach it with the bottom clamp atthetop of the lower tree and fit tight around the new headlight which sticks out futher. (Before new headlight, shield fit right over stock headlight) I just didn't like the stock one.
* HD 91744-87T 8" handlebar/ fork bag placed under the headlight, $21, local HD dealer.
* This thing called the Laminar Lip, placed at the top of the winshield, $40, used, Craigslist ( guy said he didn't like the look of it, I thought I'd give it a shot)

It might not be the best looking windshild, (my digital camera is out of order, smashed in pieces, will take photos whenI stop buying Harley parts and decide to replace camera) but it is QD, and put on a little over 500 miles this weekend and feel great.

So for a little less than $100, I saved my HD QD windshield from being tossed accross the garage, smacking the wall a coupe of times, and ending up in the trash.

Oh yeah, I did do a tank lift, but noticed no difference in buffeting, but like the look.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:17 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

This post scares me, I am picking up my QD compact low next week............ Hope I like it.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 PM
WildBill76
Tourer

I take it you thought a mini Windshield would block all the air flow. Nope.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:54 AM
deeblues
Cruiser

Heyyyyyyyyyy.....is anyone running a "windvest" shield on a 06 or 07 St.Bob???
I'd like to see pictures if I can of the hardware that attaches to the handlebars...
I think all the actual shields are the same except for size differences...
I got a great deal at a local chopper shop and it was off a 02 sporty....
It kinda fits ok.........but I think if I can see the hardware pic needed for the St.Bob it might just fit a little better....
My pics coming soon...

Old 10-09-2007, 12:29 PM
ofam5
4th Gear

I rigged Memphis Shade lowers to HD quick release brackets, set them as close to the triple tree as possible, then placed the HD quick release shield as close to the lowers as I could. This seems to work for me.