Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Street Bob Demo Ride.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 01:19 AM
dodi
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Street Bob Demo Ride.

Last year I bought and sold my 2001 Dyna Superglide all in the same year. It had 25000 miles on it was running a bit on the rough side and had a small dent in the tank. It was my first Big Twin and being on the small side (27" inseam ) I wasn't sure how I would be able to handle it. I had previously owned two Sportsters before rubber mounting and they run pretty rough. Anyways to the point I had no problems with the Superglide and now regret having sold it. I was looking for another Superglide or a new Sportser rubbermounted 883r. Everthing was fine until I test rode the 2008 Street Bob. After demo riding a Sportster 883Low and a Nightster as well on the same day I couln't believe how much more comfortable and smoother the new Streebob motor is and also how well I handled the bike. The demo ride had twisties as well as higher speed sections and heavy traffic. It was no problem for me.In my opinion the Dynas for some reason seem easier to ride than the sportsters...maybe lower center of gravity or maybe heavier weight makes bike seem more stable at speed. The Street Bob has a real low seat height but doesn't ride stiffly over bumps. I also found the mini ape bars to be quite manageable. As you can tell I loved the bike,especially the look, but I still remain confused. Should I pursue a Streetbob over the Superglide. I was thinking of getting saddlebags and a small windshield for the Superglide and do some light touring. Also the wife may ride a bit with me. I know I can add a duel seat to the Streetbob but would a windshield and bags change the look drastically....What about putting a winsdshield on the streebob and touring a bit . Would the mini apes be a problem on longer rides. Bottom line I love the Dynas and would prefer one over the Sportster if I could affort it but as much as I loved the Street Bob should I stick to the Superglide because of the riding position and handlebar position....flat handlebar lots of leverage easier too manage.What i am trying to say is the Streebob is a chopped look and rather than ruining that look should I just dress up a standard Superglide If I can't affort it would a rubbermounted Sportster 883r be a cheaper option Thanks for your input in advance.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:59 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Street Bob Demo Ride.

The most comfortable handlebars are the old buckhorns that used to be stock on at least half of HD models. The mini apes aren't much taller and felt comfortable to me when I tried them on a Bob. As for saddlebags, put 'em on. If you're a real rider you need to have tools and stuff with you, as well as space to put your groceries in. And a compact Harley-style windshield looks natural on any model. If you use the bike for more than just bar-hopping you need that stuff. I don't think it hurts the "look" at all. Just looks like you're a rider.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:45 AM
Texas Diesel
Intermediate

Go with what you like. If it's the StreetBob and you are worried about changing the look with the add-on's, get a detachable winshield as wells as saddlebags and then you only have them on when you need them.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 AM
badbs101
Road Master

I went from a 07 1200r to a 07 Street Bob and never looked back. Simply a better bike all around. The choice between Street Bob and Super Glide is up to you. Both bikes would need a two up seat and the windshield can be of the detachable variety so you can use it when you feel like it without ruining the lines of the bike. Personally, I prefer the black motor and mini apes of the Street Bob over the Super Glide. The mini apes provide greater leverage when the bike leans side to side when compared to lower handlebars. It's the lever principle, give me a long enough lever, and I can move the world. Tight turning is a bit tougher with the apes compared to lower bars though.

Besides the 883 Sportster, The Super Glide is the best deal in Harleys andthe Street Bob is purtier than both of them.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 AM
hdrider02
Cruiser

Put a set of bars from a Heritage on the streetbob. They are the same height as stock, but are much more comfortable and will afford you better control than the stock bars.

hdrider02

Old 10-15-2007, 10:03 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

ORIGINAL: hdrider02

Put a set of bars from a Heritage on the streetbob. They are the same height as stock, but are much more comfortable and will afford you better control than the stock bars.

hdrider02
Will the cables fit?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:18 AM
madelf
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Youcould alsolook ata Low Rider. Similar to the Bob, but a little more dressed up.
My wife has hers (an 05, but I don't think they've changed them much, looks-wise) done up with Bags, Engine Guard, and triple headlights, and a windshield is on her wish list. It's starting tolook like a miniture bagger, but it's pretty cool. Hers has flatter, lowerbars than my Bob too. It might be right up your alley.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser

When I went looking for my First Harley I was looking at the SG and the Street Bob. At first I did not like the mini apes on the SB and didn't and never will care for the silver engine on the SG. Sitting on the 2 bikes the SB just felt like a better fit for me ( 5' 11" 34" inseam ). I took the SB out for a test drive and fell in love with the bike and the mini apes. Keep in mind this is my first Harley experience. I have yet to take it on a long cruise ( more than 150 miles ) but I must say that for me the stock seat is not really meant for long cruises IMO. I ordered the sundowner 2 up for mine. Did not like it but that is another story. ( It is currently at Mean City Cycles getting modified). I put the HD quick detach wind shield on mine and would not ride with out it now. But it really comes down to what " You " like. Some might say " Putting this or that on your bike looks dumb " etc........ But until they are making the payments for you its none of thier buisness...........IMO......
I say go for what you think is comfy and looks how you want to look and enjoy the ride.....
Later
Joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/43328/FA85D7E284E14815B878B5A3A73B5CB2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Trotter
Banned

Check Out Jackyl's bike ! One of the nicest bike here... Toured up or with out the tour pak....

Old 10-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Davesurf
Cruiser

I have an 06 StreetBob, when I first got the windshield I didn't like the look,,,,,but now the bike don't look right with out it. The bike is easy to set up for long runs, or strip it down for around town. there's pics in the profile.

But you must check out Jackyl's StBob, Bagger to street rod in minutes

Quick Reply: 2008 Street Bob Demo Ride.