Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost dropped from the kick stand

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:31 PM
BONES206
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost dropped from the kick stand

Went for a ride early this morning, and let the bike warm up a little while I put my gear on.
The bike was on the kick stand, running in neutral, and I was standing to right. (I'm fairly
certain the stand was fully extended). Suddenly the bars start to rotate to the left, but they
don't stop when they reach the limit, they just keep going..... beacause the bike is falling.
I just got a hold of the right grip, and could barely hold it up. I then got my leg over it and leaned
it back up. I remember what was going through my mind as I reached for it, was that I was
about to find out how well the engine guard works. Won't be doing that anymore. Had a great
ride by the way, and enjoyed polishing the dent free bike after the ride.

Ride safe

Old 10-20-2007, 01:12 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Almost dropped from the kick stand

Scary! Thanks for the warning. Now I know not to do that too.

Also, your bike is very nice. What year and model is that? I'm trying to get the models down, but it's not real easy. Alot of the Dyna's look alike to me. Is that a Superglide Custom or a Lowrider?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Psycho
Road Master

ORIGINAL: BONES206

Went for a ride early this morning, and let the bike warm up a little while I put my gear on.
The bike was on the kick stand, running in neutral, and I was standing to right. (I'm fairly
certain the stand was fully extended). Suddenly the bars start to rotate to the left, but they
don't stop when they reach the limit, they just keep going..... beacause the bike is falling.
I just got a hold of the right grip, and could barely hold it up. I then got my leg over it and leaned
it back up. I remember what was going through my mind as I reached for it, was that I was
about to find out how well the engine guard works. Won't be doing that anymore. Had a great
ride by the way, and enjoyed polishing the dent free bike after the ride.

Ride safe

It's perfectly fine to let them warm up on the kickstand, just make sure the kickstand is fully extended and locked. Yours wasn't, or the bike couldn't have rolled off of it. Just doesn't happen, unless one of the stops is broken.

BTW, that color scheme makes for the best looking lowrider I've seen yet. Nice bike.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Was the ground flat? What I am asking is that if you have the bike in neutral and on the stand if it was on a downward slope it is possible for it to roll off of the kickstand. Not likely, but possible.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:14 PM
GlassBikerNC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I let mine warm like that every morning to get it's "juices" flowing after sitting overnight. By the time I get my gear on, it's ready to roll.

If you are going to let it warm up like that you need to make sure the bars are turned all the way to the left. If you leave them straight the vibrations will make them start to turn and it can cause the bike to move forward some. This will cause the kickstand to disengage slightly and can make it keep moving forward.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:20 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

First off, welcome Bones....I love your LowRider....looks SHARP!

I don't trust my kick stand at all......what I do, is while I am sitting on the bike I keep my foot pushing forward on the kickstand until the weight of the bike is on it, then move my foot.....

P.S. Check out sways pipes....I LIKE!!!!

~Joe

Old 10-20-2007, 04:23 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master

The jiffy stand is sometimes iffy. Your really have to make sure it is fully extended. If so, there's no way your bike will tip over.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:50 PM
20LowRider02
Tourer

I'm gonna guess that's an 02 Low Rider. I have the same one in the Blue and Silver two tone. I didn't like the colors when I bought it but I've grown to LOVE it!

Old 10-20-2007, 05:51 PM
VenturaChop
Road Master

i really wish the kick stand was more out in the front like the softies

Old 10-20-2007, 06:42 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep, I had mine roll on a bit of a downhill slope. Caught it before she went over, but it can happen.

Quick Reply: Almost dropped from the kick stand