Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? Swingarm scratched!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default WTF? Swingarm scratched!!!

An awesome friend I met on here sent me a chrome lower belt guard and I went to install it today. That's when I noticed this frickin scratch going down the swingarm. I know I haven't run up against anything and, considering where the scratch is in relation to how far the primary sticks out right in front of it, I can't figure how this could have happened from a curb or something like that. I don't have a lift so I clean my bike on the kick stand and, of course, it leans to the side the scratch is on. So, no telling how long it's been there and I just haven't noticed it because my big self usually just leans an arm down there to wipe down that side of the bike, especially that low.

I'm posting a couple of pix of it. Is anyone aware of anything that they do when they service your bike that might have caused this? I'm not sure what kind of lift they use or thing they might adjust that would require a tool that may have gotten scraped across the swingarm like that. I'm pissed because I'm 99.95% sure this didn't happen from anything I did.

In any case, anyone have a suggestion for the best way to fix this?

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/8ABEEE6694B849E2BCC71F8436B6E928.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/F7BCCE6FBBEF44B6A7A826D3FA54332B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Wildcat68
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WTF? Swingarm scratched!!!

Put more miles on it and the dirt will cover it up..

Old 11-08-2007, 01:10 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Wildcat68

Put more miles on it and the dirt will cover it up..
Thanks - that really helps!

It appears to be scratched right through to bare metal in a few spots. So, I'd really like to patch it up to at least prevent rust.

Of course, I'd also like to blame and be able to prove that a service tech did it and make them fix it but I realize that's not likely to happen.

I know I didn't do it and would have heard anything that got kicked up and hit that hard as I was riding.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Muddyape
Road Master

That sucks...as far as cleaning it up ive used touch up from my black f150 to clean up stuff on the frame where the metal was exposed and its worked great.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Does HD sell touch up paint for stock colors?

Old 11-08-2007, 01:56 PM
davidsdad
Road Warrior

H-D sells touch up paint (Vivid Black) will do..

Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member

as I see it -looks like the work of a pneumatic tool. something rotating as in socket head?
yeah blk touch-up paint.
I know your bike is new and we all wishours would stay "showroom" cond. but invaribly it cannot. however, if a tech was responsible, then there should be some recourse, good luck!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:17 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rebel Ryder

as I see it -looks like the work of a pneumatic tool. something rotating as in socket head?
yeah blk touch-up paint.
I know your bike is new and we all wishours would stay "showroom" cond. but invaribly it cannot. however, if a tech was responsible, then there should be some recourse, good luck!
I understand. I like my stuff to stay nice. However, I can live with my F-ups and I already have a scratch or a ding here or there that I know where they came from. As you pointed out, though, this doesn't appear to be a rock or anything like that. It appears to have scraped against something or vice versa and I know for a fact that did not happen on my watch. I'm going to send the pictures to the service manager and see what he has to say.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:27 PM
FatBoy94
Cruiser

If the Harley Tech did it you have 0 chance of them fixing it. They will probably say it is supposed to be like that.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FatBoy94

If the Harley Tech did it you have 0 chance of them fixing it. They will probably say it is supposed to be like that.
I'm sure you are right. But I'll at least give them the chance to hang themselves. I just sent an email with pix to the service manager. Will see what he has to say.

It's a shame when you have to do a detailed walk through on your bike when picking it up from service. I just can't think of any other way this could have happened. But, then, since I can't say 100% or even prove it if I could, I'll have to live with what they say. Lesson learned either way.

Quick Reply: WTF? Swingarm scratched!!!