Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need A Different Height on Windshield...

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 AM
rap87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need A Different Height on Windshield...

I have a 2006 FXDWG, just became my only form of transportation and I usually hate my windshield, but its freakin cold...and I can stand the cold, but not the wind chill, specially with apes...Anyway I have the HD Detachable Windshield STD Height

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

However, its to high..I like to see over my windshield by about an 1" or 2" its about 18" and I had tried using the shorter 14" but that one was to short. Anyone know who would sell custom windshield heights or a replacement in maybe 15" or 16"? I would rather not have to find someone to trim it, but if I have to, anyone know what to look for in the phonebook? Thanks

Ryan

Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Need A Different Height on Windshield...

If you have the detachable windshield, you should be able to get some adjustment just by moving them up and down on the forks. I have the standard QD windshield, and because of my height, I mount it flush with the very top of the forks. But, I can easily mounted further down and get a couple of inches adjustment out of it. Have you tried a taller seat?

Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rap87

I have a 2006 FXDWG, just became my only form of transportation and I usually hate my windshield, but its freakin cold...and I can stand the cold, but not the wind chill, specially with apes...Anyway I have the HD Detachable Windshield STD Height

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

However, its to high..I like to see over my windshield by about an 1" or 2" its about 18" and I had tried using the shorter 14" but that one was to short. Anyone know who would sell custom windshield heights or a replacement in maybe 15" or 16"? I would rather not have to find someone to trim it, but if I have to, anyone know what to look for in the phonebook? Thanks

Ryan
Memphis Shades makes replacement plastic for stock windsheilds, but I've never talked to anyone who did this to see how it turned out. Might check out their web site for info. I'm 6'2" and could use about an extra inch on my HD QD sheild because I get blasted right in the eyes - don't want to see through it, but just want to kick the air up over my head.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:23 AM
tideglide
Cruiser

As stated above, try moving it down, with the bottom bracket on the shield below the lower tree. Worked for me.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:26 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

Memphis Shades I have talked to.. they were to lazy to help me get a lower shield for my bike. they have zero tech support. One sorry company to talk to,i must say .

Old 11-12-2007, 11:51 AM
bikerdog134
Road Master

you could always cut it down

Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 PM
sargek
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: voyager1

Memphis Shades I have talked to.. they were to lazy to help me get a lower shield for my bike. they have zero tech support. One sorry company to talk to,i must say .

Good to now that - appreciate you sharing the experience. I hate doing business with company's that really don't care, or that treat you like crap.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:21 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

I did mange to find a 15 ince lexan only replacment. about 80.00 part number 2310-0046 . but that is for the heritage. Mine now is miles too tall for me .

Old 11-12-2007, 08:31 PM
06WideGlide
Cruiser

Same bike, same windshield, same problem.

My solution was to cut about an inch off the top. Think I found the procedure somewhere on this forum. Anyway, this is what I did:

1. took the mounting brackets off the Lexan,
2. traced the outline of the windshield (about the top third) onto stiff cardboard,
3. cut out the traced cardboard,
4. taped the lexan on both sides (I used duck tape),
5. usingthe cardboard template, I drew the curved cut line on the tape with a sharpie,
6. carefully cut the lexan using a hand-held jigsaw with a fine toothed blade,
7. finished the rough cut with successively finer grit sandpaper.

Looks like it was made that way. Don't cut too much and remember that you have adjustment on the triple tree as was pointed out above.

Good luck, Steve

Old 11-12-2007, 08:32 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

your local glass company should be able to trim it down. I used one that replaced the windshield in my truck. cost $25.00. I had 2 inches trimmed off the top. they cut it. blended the curve and polished the edge. took all of 1 hour.

Quick Reply: Need A Different Height on Windshield...