Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil drain plug O-ring?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default oil drain plug O-ring?

So.................

I went to the dealer yesterday to buy the oil and filter to do my first change (as opposed to letting the dealer do it again). He sets me up with 3 qts of syn3, a black oil filter and, the infamous "o-ring" that he thoughfully taped to the top of the oil filter box.

Stopped by Harbor Freight and bought the oil filter wrenches (4 sizes for $8) that fit over the end of the filter and use a 3/8 drive ratchet to operate.

This morning I took the SB out for a little warm-up ride....about 50 miles....Hey! It was cold so I wanted to make sure the engine would get to operating temperature.

I found the oil drain plug just in the front of the trans pan, used a 7/16 wobble head allen to get it out, and drained the oil.

While the oil was draining, I took my handy cut off tool out and cut a notch out of the filter wrench I had bought so it would clear the crank sensor (take that H-D). Took the oil filter off after placing a piece of cardboard under the filter to catch all the oil (well most of it).

Now I'm looking at this o-ring the dealer taped to the top of the oil filter box and wondering where it goes? The drain plug I removed was an allen head bull plug with what appears to be NPT threads...no o-ring in sight.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-31-2008, 12:55 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: oil drain plug O-ring?

My 02' has o-rings on both drain plugs. But it's a Softail. I don't know why a Dyna would sport a different plug, but who knows.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
LeavenworthJeff
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the plug pulled should of had a small magnet on the end to catch any small metal particles. On my 05 my plug has a small o-ring on it. The plug you pulled should have the magnetic end on it. If not then I don't know what is up. Let us know us what you find out.

Leavenworth Jeff

05 Superglide

Old 01-31-2008, 01:26 PM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: sniper77

So.................

I went to the dealer yesterday to buy the oil and filter to do my first change (as opposed to letting the dealer do it again). He sets me up with 3 qts of syn3, a black oil filter and, the infamous "o-ring" that he thoughfully taped to the top of the oil filter box.

Stopped by Harbor Freight and bought the oil filter wrenches (4 sizes for $8) that fit over the end of the filter and use a 3/8 drive ratchet to operate.

This morning I took the SB out for a little warm-up ride....about 50 miles....Hey! It was cold so I wanted to make sure the engine would get to operating temperature.

I found the oil drain plug just in the front of the trans pan, used a 7/16 wobble head allen to get it out, and drained the oil.

While the oil was draining, I took my handy cut off tool out and cut a notch out of the filter wrench I had bought so it would clear the crank sensor (take that H-D). Took the oil filter off after placing a piece of cardboard under the filter to catch all the oil (well most of it).

Now I'm looking at this o-ring the dealer taped to the top of the oil filter box and wondering where it goes? The drain plug I removed was an allen head bull plug with what appears to be NPT threads...no o-ring in sight.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!
Uh oh, how much fluid came out? Are you sure you didnt drain the tranny?

Old 01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
The Baron
Banned

I would be damn sure that you pulled the right plug.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
hdrider02
Cruiser

Even if you didn't pull the right plug, all 3 drain plugs have a rubber gasket on them. Your bike would undoubtly
leak oil without the gasket.

hdrider02

Old 01-31-2008, 02:24 PM
MONDOMAN
Intermediate

snipper,

I have a 2004 Dyna Super Glide. On mine, there are three drain plugs under the engine/transmission. 1 for the transmission (I think it takes a 1/2" or9/16" wrench or socket) 2. is the oil plug (again 1/2" or 9/16'). Both of these have an "O" ring (samesize "O"ring for both).3. Primarychaincasedrain plug (pipe thread as per my dealer) and its either an allen or torx not sure, I haven't change primary chaincase fluid as of this date. I know they made some changes on later years so I would check beforeproceeding.Last, one of the best investment I made was a service manual. It has come in handy so many times. Good luck!

MONDO

Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 PM
The Baron
Banned

ORIGINAL: MONDOMAN

snipper,

I have a 2004 Dyna Super Glide. On mine, there are three drain plugs under the engine/transmission. 1 for the transmission (I think it takes a 1/2" or9/16" wrench or socket) 2. is the oil plug (again 1/2" or 9/16'). Both of these have an "O" ring (samesize "O"ring for both).3. Primarychaincasedrain plug (pipe thread as per my dealer) and its either an allen or torx not sure, I haven't change primary chaincase fluid as of this date. I know they made some changes on later years so I would check beforeproceeding.Last, one of the best investment I made was a service manual. It has come in handy so many times. Good luck!

MONDO
The Primary plugis a Torx. I believe the engine and trans drain plugs you can use either a wrench or socket and they also have an allen in the center of the plug.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks fellas.

The plug I took out does not have a hex head on it, it is an allen head bull plug. It faces the front of the motorcycle and is the lowest point on the transmission pan. The trans plug is facing down just behind it and to the right side of the bike, obviously the bike would ahve to be horizontal for all the oil to drain out of it.

It was the right plug because there is now not any oil on the dipstick. There is no magnet on the end of the plug either. I guess this may just be one that is different from everyone else's.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:03 PM
The Baron
Banned

I think the motor has a few allen plugs in the cases but they are not the actual oil drain plug.

Quick Reply: oil drain plug O-ring?