Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a steering stabilizer

Old 03-24-2008, 10:37 PM
Crazy03
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need a steering stabilizer

Does anyone know who makes a good steering stabilizer for the Street Bob. Thanks

Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Need a steering stabilizer

pretty sure you are going to have to make one, they sell adjustable ones that i have used on my cafe projects in the past... have you tried a fork brace? why do you think you need a stabilizer?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Crazy03
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I already have a fork brace. I dont need it but would like to have one. I ride the **** out of the bike and want all the performance I can have. The 10" T-bars also dont help at 100MPH either

Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 AM
beuz
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

On my sportster, i took a 2004 GSX-R 1000 steering damper, I adapted to my bike with fork tube turn signals relocation kit.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 AM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Storz Performance makes them.

www.storzperf.com

Old 03-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Punty
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

pretty sure you are going to have to make one, they sell adjustable ones that i have used on my cafe projects in the past... have you tried a fork brace? why do you think you need a stabilizer?

I'd like to know as well

Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wierd. I was envisioning a riser type dampener like the ones you can buy for dirt machines. I was thinking this would help kill the vibration before it gets to your hands. On long, boring rides I know my right hand sometimes gets numb.

Those Storz things seem like stabilizers you would put on to guard against bump-steer. I'm curious, too, as to the benefit of those.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

Copy and paste job:
What do “Steering dampers” do?
A steering damper is a miniature shock absorber for your steering. They look a lot like precision built versions of a screen door closing rod. It will attach on one end to the frame, and the other to some point which is steered, usually one of the triple clamps. (I’ve seen them attached to the fork tube below the upper triple clamp as well.)
They will slow down steering input, and their primary benefit is found on bikes which get their front wheels light or off the ground altogether under acceleration. They’ll help prevent you from turning the wheel while it’s light/off and thus produce a wiggle, wobble, or tank-slapper when the wheel is loaded up again.
When there is a large differential between the width of the front and rear tires, there is an increasing chance of a “tank-slapper” when you hit a bump in a corner. Now, to be fair, many times this is more a result of incorrect suspension settings or wrong tire air pressures. But having a great disparity between tire widths enhances the chances. Now, you don’t want a huge wide front, or your steering will feel like that of an old worm-and-roller work truck. You don’t want too narrow of a rear because then you would not have the traction to lay down the power in some of the more brutal sport bike motors. And lastly, having a large disparity in tire width makes a bike more responsive in steering turn-in. So a compromise is struck, basically. Sometimes, people (or manufacturers) push things too far in one direction for ultimate stability, and that’s where a steering damper becomes useful in preventing tank-slappers from growing out of control

Old 03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

I've already read posts about guys getting high speed corner instability on Dynas. The response the get has been in regards to a brace for the engine? Hell I haven't owned a cycle yet without a steering dampener, yet common thought here is the engine isn't rigid enough to the frame? HUH? I'll be putting a dampener on my Fat Bob. The dampener will do more than just prevent a tank slapper, it'll cure the small instabilities you get cornering, not just tank slapping bad shakes.
Gilly

Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've already read posts about guys getting high speed corner instability on Dynas. The response the get has been in regards to a brace for the engine?
This is because of the swing arm is mounted to the rubber mounted engine or transmission.This is not just inhierent in Dynas but I recently spoke to a gentleman with the same issue in a Road King.Stabalizing the engine or switching to stiffer bushings in the mounts goes to the root of the problem however stiffer suspension goes along way toward curing the symptoms and a steering stabilizer might get you the rest of the way there.I'm halfway through upgrading my suspension and already I'm noticing a big improvement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a steering stabilizer