Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VANCE AND HINES BIG RADIUS?

Old 03-28-2008, 04:45 AM
austiny
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VANCE AND HINES BIG RADIUS?

O.K. so I bought this 2007 DYNA Super glide, very basic model, a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I wanted changed was the pipes.

I decided on Vance and Hines big radius and they were ordered and delivered to my local HD mechanic, and they are going on today.

So here is my question, along with these pipes $600 pipes, Vance and Hines recommends their $295 electronic gas regulator.

Do you have to have that?
What if you don’t install that?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:17 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: VANCE AND HINES BIG RADIUS?

If I were you I would do everything myself. I paidaround $500 for my pipes from Eastern Performance and I got a Power Commander III from FuleMoto.com with a custom map for my set up. I would also get a new intake like either a SE or Arlen Ness Big Sucker. I have seen a few real cheap SE set ups in the classified section.
By the time you pay the dealer to install your pipes and fuel management system.....You could do it yourself with everything above and still have money left over.
Get your bike from the dealer and do it yourself. Its very easy.

Oh, to answer your question.....If you leave the intake alone you shouldnt. But you are most likely going to change the intake eventually so you might as well. I would do the intake also. Your only talking a little over $100

Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Jetpat
Banned

The way I understand it Austiny, yeah...you're going to need a fuel management product. Now, does it have to be V&H? Nope. I just got the black Sideshots put on my Street Bob and went with the Cobra Fi2000R. Also, if you're changing out the pipes, you might think about doing the Stage 1 air cleaner at the same time. That way they can do the EFI adjustments once. Just my .014837 (adjusted for the crap economy).

Now...for all of ya's who continually frigging tell everyone to do it themselves...you've got to know the situation. Me? First, I'm a pilot and don't get to spend a ton of time at home and when I do, I'm gonna spend time with the family and not working on the bike. Second, Tools + Me = unknown Maybe this guy is in a similar boat or maybe...just maybe, he likes the idea of holding someone accountable in case the fix gets broken... Not trying to "bash" you personally Bri, it just seems by your screen name you just might know something about fixing stuff that guys like me don't.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:38 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Austin..... I highly recomend you get some sort of fuel mgmt, such as V&H fuel pak,
you went with new pipes,,,you will need more fuel,,, throw in a new air filter,,,,, your bike will be set for life,,,,,, the V&H website has good info,,,,,
spend a few extra $ now,, and be done with it,, you and BIKE will both be glad you did!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

How about your riding buddies? Dont any of them do their own work?Ask them to help you. I help my riding friends all the time. I enjoy working on bikes. If you were in or around Delaware I would help you do it.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 AM
xmarine
Road Master

ORIGINAL: austiny

O.K. so I bought this 2007 DYNA Super glide, very basic model, a couple of weeks ago and the first thing I wanted changed was the pipes.

I decided on Vance and Hines big radius and they were ordered and delivered to my local HD mechanic, and they are going on today.

So here is my question, along with these pipes $600 pipes, Vance and Hines recommends their $295 electronic gas regulator.

austiny
IF you are just changing the pipes......NO.......you don't HAVE to put on fuel management. You are not changing the volume of air coming in. The AFR will still be lean.

IF you put on a high flow air filter.........YES.........you NEED fuel management.
$295 for a fuelpak though..........not at that price.
Check around, fuelpaks can be had for $200
Hope this helps
xmarine

Old 03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: austiny

Austiny, when I ordered my pipes, the first thing I was asked is "do you need or have a stage 1 air cleaner and a fuelpak?". Fuelpak is not the only option and some here will tell you it's not a decent option at all. I've found it to be very good, however. I did already have the a/c and fuelpak. Fuelpak will not even work without a stage 1 air cleaner first of all. But, either way you still need to do something to modify the air/fuel ratio of your EFI bike because it comes lean from the factory and by letting it breathe in or out more air, you are leaning it out even more, starving it for fuel. If you go ahead and get a stage 1 air cleaner and a fuelpak or tuner such as a PCIII, you'll have a complete stage 1 bike and it will breathe and run much better than stock.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Humanoid
Cruiser

I have a 05 Superglide w/ V&H Big Radius. My bike is fuel injected.
I ran my bike for a little while whith just the pipe change. On most bikes, changing only the pipes doesnt affect how it runs. My bike ran like ****. Lots of popping and a noticable loss of power. I broke down and bought the HD high flow intake and the V&H Fuel Pak. Lots of people have had bad luck with the Fuel Pak here but my bike runs pretty good with it.
I know that I am leaving a little horse power on the table by not using power commander or some other custom tuned fuel manager but it was cheap and I was able to install it myself.

My opinion is you need some fuel managment with this setup. I have a buddy who put V&H long shots and his bike and it runs great. I think it depends on the bike.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From everything I've heard, you don't need any type of fuel management with just the pipes andonly when you've replaced the AC along with the pipes...but I'm just repeating what I've heard and have no experience with just replacing my pipes.

I replaced the AC, pipes and didthe SERT all at the same time so I was covered.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:28 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts
Default Re: Vance and hines big radius?

Either leave it as is with the pipes only & live with the decel pops or do it right. I have this setup on my 06 and it runs & sounds phenomenal.

Big Radius
High flow SE air cleaner with K&N filter.
V&H Fuelpac with stock ECU (needed for 06)
Big City Thunder QQ Baffles.

06 bikes do not like the fuelpac with a stage one so I had my ECU re-flashed to stock. (update, maps now available for stage 1's for 06) 07's are OK with stage 1.

The sound of the pipes with this setup is very deep & grubbily without blowing away the neighbors.

The power band is perfect.

Decel pops are not a problem. Just an occasional pop which is expected with short pipes.

If I were you I would do a stage 1with a high flow air cleaner & the Fuelpac. The Fuelpac was simple to install & can be had for 200.00 (or less)

Last edited by golfblues; 07-04-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VANCE AND HINES BIG RADIUS?