Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with cable and hose lengths

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 PM
tattoo13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with cable and hose lengths

I am trying to get everything together to put some 16" apes on my FXDI (maybe 12's, but I am leaning towards 16).
What I am trying to figure out is how long I need the clutch cable, brake hose, and how long of a harness extension I need?
Also can anyone suggest a place to get a nice harness extension?
Thanks for all the help in advance!
Jason

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Muddyape
Road Master
Default RE: Help with cable and hose lengths

I did 14's on mine with +6 across the board, plenty of room with idle/throttle and brake. Wanted to switch to 16's but think the clutch cable is cutting it close (perfect with 14's) So I left it alone. I bought the novello wire extension from J&P for the harnesses. Hope this helps. Pics of my bike in gallery to see the cables (+6 with 14" apes)

Old 05-16-2008, 07:07 AM
Cornbread
Advanced

Buy the bars first then, put them on then measure for your cables, etc. You can't go wrong with that unless you measure wrong.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Stanger
Road Master

I am right in the middle of doing this exact mod and I am going with 16" Gorillas with stock street bob riser which is about 1 1/2" high. Stock original bars are mini apes of 10", so I basically am rising 6", so I called JP Cycle and talked to the tech line. These guys are great and got me exactly what I needed. The throttle, idle and clutch cables are all +6" over stock which was a no brainer, but the brake line now that is another story. I have heard 50" and 52". According to JP the stock length of a street bob brake line is 47", I tried to measure it and did not come up with this number but it could just be me, I was close though. Anyways, JP told me that 54" would be the way to go, so I now have those cables on the way, also have a Novello wire extension kit (the top kit) on the way.
Go to search and type in "My ape install" this is a thread that a guy did that is what I am using for the basics.
Good luck.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:34 AM
pwer pla
Tourer

I agree with cornbread, when I did my 16's the salesman at HD and I tried to measure for cables got the throttle and Idle cable right, but the clutch was too short and the upper brake was too long, spent a lot of time running back to the dealer to get the right ones. Just mock them up and measure then you will have the right lengths. Just my .02

Old 05-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Check out this site. http://www.magnumshielding.com/store/app_search.php

They give you the stock lengths and the +2, +4, etc, lengths...

Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 PM
DougM
Tourer

I know you're looking for numbers from somebody that's already done the work but here is my suggestion: Order and install the bars you want based on your set up (i.e. risers, angle of bars, etc...) and then use weedeater line to run in the same path of the throttle/idle cables, clutch cable, and brake line. Then cut the weedeater line and measure it. You can even take the line with you to the dealer so they can help you find the perfect size cables.