Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising the Dyna - suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Raising the Dyna - suspension upgrades

There have been quite a few threads recently re: various suspension upgrades to Dynas; front forks, stabilizers,fork braces, and shocks. It seems as though the majority who changed shocks went to a shorter shock, i,e, the FXD stock shock is 12.6", most seem to go to a 12" or even an 11"., which really provides a cool look . However, I thought I would share my experiences with going the other way. I was more concerned with cornering clearances and turn in ( my particular bike (an 07 FXD) always seemed to turn hard...hard to explain, but it took a lot of force to get it to turn)in the twisties). Probably unique to my bike.

Anyway, after some research, it appeared as though the historical great handling Dynas...FXDX and FXR had taller shocks. Plus, raising the rear would reduce the trail, i.e.quicker steering. So, I decided to get 13.2" rears..in my case Ohlin 36E HD215s. I also changed the front springs to Works triple rate springs, added a True Track stabilizer and a Superbrace. Although all helped,with hindsight I think the biggest impact was the taller rear shocks.

The difference is amazing. It turns in much easier, and although I riding much faster thru a familiar set of twisties in the Angeles Crest mountain's, I have yet to scrape anything. The taller shocks also provide more suspension travel (I think) and the ride is much smoother, particularly over the crappy LA freeways.

I have posted these pics in another thread, but thought I would post again to show the profile with the rear end raised up. Definitely not for everyone, but sure helped my bike in the corners.

Many thanks to all of you who have posted re Dyna suspension. Your ideas and insight were invaluable

Attached Thumbnails Raising the Dyna - suspension upgrades-dsc05650.jpg   Raising the Dyna - suspension upgrades-dsc05651.jpg   Raising the Dyna - suspension upgrades-dsc05652.jpg   Raising the Dyna - suspension upgrades-dsc05653.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by gregbenner:
googler56 (07-14-2020), ogmacore (08-13-2020), TerryMcQ (09-11-2020)
Old 03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I went the same route, 13.5" FXDX shocks and Works springs up front. Some say it makes the bike look like a dirt bike, I think it makes it look like a Harley that can actually be ridden, not just sit outside a bar and look pretty.

Well done! I've got to hurry up and get my TrueTrack before the sale is over.

The only downside I've found is the bike leans a bit more on the jiffy stand. But I'm fine with that!

Name:  IMG_3630.jpg
Views: 4183
Size:  99.5 KB

Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see someone going the other way.
Those Ohlins look nice!
I've gone to 13" Works DSR on the back - not as nice as the Ohlins - but WAY better than stock - great clearance - I'm also 2" over on the front so not a super quick steerer - but still good.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the setup. I'm always into a better handling ride. Might want to think about going to an 18" rear and change the sprocket to keep the torque down low for blasting through twisties.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, very nice. I bet that thing rides great!! And it looks great as well. Love those Ohlins shocks.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 320 MM Z series YSS rear shocks with another 10MM adjust(13" total), I figured 320mm was minimum for handling, I also have works triple rate spring kit, had to mess with the adapters a couple of times to get it sprung right, I also added sputhe positrac, Ricor IAS valves in front and fork brace and changed fork oil to 15 W. The thing most people don't realize you don't have to go fast to appreciate the difference, it's less tiring to ride
when the suspension is set up properly and way more fun. When you go fast you'll appreciate it even more. Greg throw in the Ricor IAS valves, you'll complete the package, trust me you'll be glad you did. The front will work much better with those Ohlins with the IAS valves, you'll just glide over bumps, for the most part, and when you need more rebound in the front, it's there, automatically. I can't tell you what a difference it made in my bike. I've posted before about suspension upgrades, and I've gotten responses anywhere from "why should I have to re engineer my bike" to it works just fine, to genuine interest. For a little over 1K+ you can make your bike much more fun, and safer, suspension is way more than just steering response, you'll have better traction, more comfort, and as stated previously less tiring, the bike will pretty much go where you look, with less effort. Tires are certainly part of the package, I run Metz
880's, brakes need a little help. Do these things before motor upgrades IMO. For me, suspension first, then everything else.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM
benwiggin2
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like there's still a tiny bit of snow at Newcombe's.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain

Yea, took the pics last Saturday. Roads are good though.

Got a really interesting compliment from a couple German guys on BMWs. After talking a bit (they noticed the Ohlins) and them offering several compliments, one of the guys asked "who makes this bike"? At first I didn't really understand the ?. When I told him "Harley" I think the response was German for "No Sh&t... I had no idea Harley made this type of bike" Pretty funny.

Originally Posted by benwiggin2
looks like there's still a tiny bit of snow at Newcombe's.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:58 PM
INTHERED
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

After raising the rear by installing the longer 13.2 inch shocks did you have to run more pressure in the front tire to compensate for the more forward weight bias ? What tires do you have and what tire pressures do you run ?

Thanks >>>> Inthered

Old 03-11-2009, 05:38 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain

I never even thought about changing the tire pressures. I have ME 880s, 32 fr 36 rear (cold). It might make sense to add a pound up front, although I am not really that conscientious about the checking the pressures as is.

Originally Posted by INTHERED
After raising the rear by installing the longer 13.2 inch shocks did you have to run more pressure in the front tire to compensate for the more forward weight bias ? What tires do you have and what tire pressures do you run ?

Thanks >>>> Inthered

Quick Reply: Raising the Dyna - suspension upgrades