Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

**FXD SUPERglides**

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 12:09 PM
damager1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie4412
So my family and i had just relocated to central Alabama from midwest Ohio for my job. The weather is BEAUTIFUL and there are bikes everywhere. I couldn't take it any longer! I had been eyeing street bobs for years ( literally since they came out when i was in high school ). So the hunt was on. I looked at multiple dealers in the area, test rode probably a dozen combinations of Street Bobs, Fat Bobs, Wide Glides and Low Riders but never a plain jane FXD. I'll get to that shortly.

Then one Sunday afternoon in Decatur, AL i found 'it'. A 2006 Street Bob. Denim black, chrome everywhere, windshield, vance and hines short shots, leather bags, it literally had it all. I rode it for 9 miles and was sold. I came back and told the salesman that i wanted it. After a few minutes of back and forth we settled on a fair out the door price. $8,200 give or take.... now here's where this gets interesting. From the first moment we started talking money I told him that i could not have the cash in hand until the next day. I explained the situation, I just moved 600 miles away and the nearest US bank was in Nashville. The plan was to get to the bank early ( 2 hour drive from my home ), get the cash, then make a B line to Decatur to buy the bike, then spend the rest of the day riding. After a bunch of smiles and a FIRM handshake i headed home for the day. Not so fast....

I was en route from nashville with $9,000 in hand. ( I had full intentions of gearing up before i rode off ). Then the phone rang. It was the salesman. "Uh, man. Brother, I'm so sorry but someone just came in and bought that bike." I was livid! I asked him how that's even possible, i thought we ironed out the details last night? his response? " Well, brother, we need to take a deposit to hold a bike overnight." That was it. Not one time did anyone ever suggest i leave a deposit. Which would have been totally cool had someone brought it to my attention! I was furious! They knew i was furious. At the end of the day it was just miscommunication. But that didn't fix anything....

Weeks went by, i had all but given up hope. Riding season was in full swing so good deals were few and far between. Then something amazing, and life changing happened! I got a voicemail one afternoon from the sales manager at the dealership that i had previously dealt with. He said they just brought back a trailer full of bikes from an auction and that he had something for me that they would make a good deal on. A bone stock 2004 FXD. To say i was displeased was an understatement. I'd never looked at a superglide. To me it was just a slightly bigger sportster. I didnt want that. I thought whatever, i havent been up there in a few weeks. ill check it out. When i got there, the manager was waiting on me and gave me the run down. It's an auction bike from NC. 31k miles, stock everything. I threw a leg over and took it for the same 9 mile ride I had been on before. Although this bike had close to 0 creature comforts for some reason it hooked me. The feeling of raw power. The lack of windshield. The way this baby cornered! I loved it. I wanted this bike. The manager was waiting on me in the show room....

We sat down and I told him that, " I kinda liked it." Then he said that our failed deal on the street bob left such a bad taste in his mouth that, if i wanted it, this FXD could be mine for what they had in it. Auction invoice + tires and a battery. A hair over $4k out the door! Sold, Sold, Sold. Even after everything i've done to her in the years i've owned her, i'm still in it for less than what that street bob would have cost me. Not, to mentioned i've learned a whole lot more customizing it myself than i would have if i had bought a finished product.

What i'm getting at is, The moto gods had a plan for me. I was always meant to ride a superglide.

and the next time someone asks about your "sportster", hit em' with this.
that's an awesome story!! thanks for sharing that one!!! And very unique with the red!!

Old 07-23-2018, 12:37 PM
damager1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok... so I have a question, and I know I'm in the right place as this is the superglide FXD thread - and I have an '09. And I also know that a lot of you have the silver / gray powdercoat engine like I do.

HOW THE F DO YOU KEEP THIS DAMN MOTOR CLEAN?!?

I've tried the HD Engine Bright, nope. Tried some degreasers, nope. Tried dish soap, nope. Over the years (only on my 3rd year with her) it's taken on this, brownish, DIRTY look. And, I'm cool with that, as long as I at least have the OPTION of getting it clean and bringing it back to it's original silvery gray, rather than the brownish gray it's become.

I won't lie, I've NEVER been a fan of that engine color, and I'd kill to have it black. To the point where I think I'm going to take off the rockers, primary, shifter case, tranny chase, and just powdercoat them a nice flat black. That'll cover up most of the grayness of the engine to the point where you'd have to look for it to see it. But that's another conversation altogether.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,510 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by brownie4412
So my family and i had just relocated to central Alabama from midwest Ohio for my job. The weather is BEAUTIFUL and there are bikes everywhere. I couldn't take it any longer! I had been eyeing street bobs for years ( literally since they came out when i was in high school ). So the hunt was on. I looked at multiple dealers in the area, test rode probably a dozen combinations of Street Bobs, Fat Bobs, Wide Glides and Low Riders but never a plain jane FXD. I'll get to that shortly.

Then one Sunday afternoon in Decatur, AL i found 'it'. A 2006 Street Bob. Denim black, chrome everywhere, windshield, vance and hines short shots, leather bags, it literally had it all. I rode it for 9 miles and was sold. I came back and told the salesman that i wanted it. After a few minutes of back and forth we settled on a fair out the door price. $8,200 give or take.... now here's where this gets interesting. From the first moment we started talking money I told him that i could not have the cash in hand until the next day. I explained the situation, I just moved 600 miles away and the nearest US bank was in Nashville. The plan was to get to the bank early ( 2 hour drive from my home ), get the cash, then make a B line to Decatur to buy the bike, then spend the rest of the day riding. After a bunch of smiles and a FIRM handshake i headed home for the day. Not so fast....

I was en route from nashville with $9,000 in hand. ( I had full intentions of gearing up before i rode off ). Then the phone rang. It was the salesman. "Uh, man. Brother, I'm so sorry but someone just came in and bought that bike." I was livid! I asked him how that's even possible, i thought we ironed out the details last night? his response? " Well, brother, we need to take a deposit to hold a bike overnight." That was it. Not one time did anyone ever suggest i leave a deposit. Which would have been totally cool had someone brought it to my attention! I was furious! They knew i was furious. At the end of the day it was just miscommunication. But that didn't fix anything....

Weeks went by, i had all but given up hope. Riding season was in full swing so good deals were few and far between. Then something amazing, and life changing happened! I got a voicemail one afternoon from the sales manager at the dealership that i had previously dealt with. He said they just brought back a trailer full of bikes from an auction and that he had something for me that they would make a good deal on. A bone stock 2004 FXD. To say i was displeased was an understatement. I'd never looked at a superglide. To me it was just a slightly bigger sportster. I didnt want that. I thought whatever, i havent been up there in a few weeks. ill check it out. When i got there, the manager was waiting on me and gave me the run down. It's an auction bike from NC. 31k miles, stock everything. I threw a leg over and took it for the same 9 mile ride I had been on before. Although this bike had close to 0 creature comforts for some reason it hooked me. The feeling of raw power. The lack of windshield. The way this baby cornered! I loved it. I wanted this bike. The manager was waiting on me in the show room....

We sat down and I told him that, " I kinda liked it." Then he said that our failed deal on the street bob left such a bad taste in his mouth that, if i wanted it, this FXD could be mine for what they had in it. Auction invoice + tires and a battery. A hair over $4k out the door! Sold, Sold, Sold. Even after everything i've done to her in the years i've owned her, i'm still in it for less than what that street bob would have cost me. Not, to mentioned i've learned a whole lot more customizing it myself than i would have if i had bought a finished product.

What i'm getting at is, The moto gods had a plan for me. I was always meant to ride a superglide.

and the next time someone asks about your "sportster", hit em' with this.
I only had one guy I've had ask me if my Low Rider S was a sportster, some bagger guy who just didn't know any better I guess...

That said, I had a very similar situation when I was looking at FXR's. There was one, a '91 or 92 as I recall, pretty local to me, about an hour away. Private seller. Older gentleman (it seemed, the gentleman part..). We exchanged a few emails, a video of him starting it, etc. A phone call and a 20min conversation later we had an agreement that I would buy the bike the next morning. I needed to get cash from the bank and drive up with a UHaul bike trailer. I offered a deposit via paypal or Zelle, which he said wasn't necessary, "it wasn't going anywhere".

So I happily began planning my morning. About three hours later, at around 9pm that same day, I got an email from this tool "sorry it didn't work out - I just accepted an offer for $100 more". I couldn't believe it.

Look, I understand wanting to get the most from something you're selling, but for f's sake, we put a lot of time into it, and had an actual pleasant conversation in addition to that about the bike - some common experiences in the area. I also would have easily paid $500 more without even thinking twice. But to screw someone out of a deal for $100, without even the courtesy to allow a counter offer I found reprehensible and infuriating. I called him up and let him know exactly how I felt, and the money he lost.

Anyway, it all worked out, a few days later I found my 1999, nearly mint FXR2. Sometimes things just work out.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 PM
robarosa
Road Master
Received 541 Likes on 383 Posts

Little ride through the country. 2005 FXD.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Norb5150
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Simple Dream

Always making changes. This photo is circa 2013

What It looks like now

when I originally got it. It didn't have any shiny parts. I'm never done making changes either....

The following users liked this post:
1Dyna03 (12-24-2020)
Old 08-22-2018, 12:53 PM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some small updates to my 01 FXD. MS Gauntlet will be here Friday. Probably doing that and a Laminar. Was surprised with the pullback risers. I know for looks, they aren't the greatest, but the fairing will cover that. But I don't mind the gauges like this, and they put my hands perfectly. I am sure eventually I might swap them out. BUt I'm good for now

Old 08-20-2020, 07:03 PM
newzealand
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a very tasty Low Rider. Its an old post but I hope you kept it.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:22 AM
jaysnafu
Club Member
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Any of you who have customized your bikes got a rear wheel or set for a '07 FXD laying around? my brothers bike is DOA on the lift at the shop!
Previous owner wedged some wheel in there without spacers and the wheel is ALL chewed up.
Need to get him out before they start charging him.
thanks all!

Old 09-28-2020, 11:47 PM
baldric
Road Warrior
Received 3,094 Likes on 649 Posts

Posted awhile back but some updates done due to texter who dropped her phone and decided to just stop to pick it up as I was shoulder checking. Changed paint from Sierra Red to the new deep GM red . Also added a Solo Sundowner as my wife cant ride any more.

The following users liked this post:
robarosa (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 05:45 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,125 Posts

2009 FXDC

The following 2 users liked this post by Mallard Slayer:
Crazy (10-02-2020), robarosa (09-29-2020)

Quick Reply: **FXD SUPERglides**