Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 dyna starter noise

Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
sgcustom
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 dyna starter noise

I have a 2008 Dyna fxdc super glide custom with what seems to be a really obvious starter problem. The problem started early on but only happened once in a blue moon.My mistake was not taking it in to the dealer right away and documenting the problem. I since installed v&h pipes, screaming eagle air cleaner and a V&H power commander. Bike runs awesome,but the starter problem had gotten worse. It sounds like the starter clutch is skipping,and it makes a God awful metal grinding noise. Took it to the dealer,and they installed a spring on the starter, changed the plugs,and told me the problem is the power commander. Trying to sell me there screaming eagle one. They seem adamant at ignoring the starter problem, and want me to bring it back in so they can take some electrical readings with and without the power commander connected. Im getting ready to go ahead and replace the starter myself. Any thoughts or suggestions?Thanks

Old 04-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Doughboy
Cruiser

i get that sound on mine ever so often.mine is not fuel injected though.it doesnt do it enough for me to justifiy removal

Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does that every so often on a 2007, maybe once out of every 50 starts, I always figured it was the compensator ramping up and then letting go, the stock one is pretty wimpy compared to the SE unit. I just love these upgrades that should have been stock

Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

try starting the bike immediately. Do not wait for the engine light to go out. The SERT is a nicer tuner though.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
try starting the bike immediately. Do not wait for the engine light to go out. The SERT is a nicer tuner though.
When I bought my 08, the sales mgr told me to start the bike as soon as the fuel pump stopped whining. Dont wait for the engine light to go out. The TC kicks back just like my old Shovel did, and the compensator can only do so much. The starter takes a beating after that.
Sometimes I wish I had a compression release like the SE's

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

If it is a grinding noise, it sure as hell isn't the power commander... but I'm pretty sure it isn't the compensator sprocket either.

The starting issue with the compensator sounds like giving an anvil a light rap with small ball peen hammer.

Although I will admit, my bike is running much smoother since I installed my TTs, and now thinking about it, I haven't noticed the weak compensator slap. I think the timing on the stage.1 map is not so good.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM
mikel61101
Tourer

I had that problem and when they took my starter off it was full of oil... yeah OIL... it was some gasket er some **** they said it was a pretty common problem...i dunno but i hope it gets fixed easily...gl

Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

When I bought my 07 it would make a bad grinding noise sometimes when I would start it. I took it back in to get the pipes and forward controls I bought put on and the the dealer said some teeth were broken off. They said they had seen a few like that and theere were some bad factory parts or something. Anyways they fixed it under warranty and it hasn't happened again.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 04-08-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Wireguided
Road Master

ok heres my stab at it ..
At 150 miles my bike An 08 fxdc had this noise.
When i took it in to the shop this is what they found.
By the way same noise you describe and happened the same way not often
When the dealer took off the primary cover one bolt fell out and another was loose and stuck under the primary chain.
These were the two bolts right above and below the crank that bolt the inner to the case.
they fixed it under warranty. They were never tight right from factory.
I would take it in and ask .
My dealership sent this problem in to
HD ....dunno the outcome though.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:32 PM
sgcustom
4th Gear
Default 2008 superglide custom starter problem update

After 6 days in the shop the dealer has ordered a new screaming eagle starter clutch,and a compensator kit. Told me these were stronger than the stock parts. Another 5-7 days for the parts to arrive. Hopefully the parts will be here tomorrowand I will get my bike back just in time to ride to Leesberg for bike week.The dealer suggested that i needed these parts because of the added torque from my v&h pipes and power commander? The compression has not been altered and therefore has nothing to do with the starter? I'm hoping they are not trying to get out of the warranty by saying that? I had the problem long before the pipes were installed. Any comments?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 dyna starter noise