Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Alignment / Belt Tension

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:36 AM
06WGRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Alignment / Belt Tension

According to the Svc Manual I am putting my rear tire on, torquing it down then checking for alignment then I check for belt tension. One thing that confuses me, do I have to loosen the axle nut when I adjust the axle adjusting screws or will the axle move even though it is torqued? Anybody ? It seems that as I adjust the axle adjustor in the axle will move but when I back it off the axle doesn't move. Should the rear tire be in the air ? Thanks for any advice

Old 04-20-2009, 07:38 AM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06WGRider
According to the Svc Manual I am putting my rear tire on, torquing it down then checking for alignment then I check for belt tension. One thing that confuses me, do I have to loosen the axle nut when I adjust the axle adjusting screws or will the axle move even though it is torqued? Anybody ? It seems that as I adjust the axle adjustor in the axle will move but when I back it off the axle doesn't move. Should the rear tire be in the air ? Thanks for any advice
I don't know about anybody else but I do mine with the bike on the floor and the Axel just snugged up and after I get the belt set I tighten it up and I don't torque it.... I turn the wheel and tighten.... when it starts to get where the wheel gets tight I loosen the nut a 1/2 turn put pin in and done!

I torqued the front wheel once to specs and it was hard to turn I didn't like that so I don't torque wheels anymore!

Naz

Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's best to do it in the air. You should snug up the axle, not torque it down.

What I usually do is eyeball the alignment while setting the belt tension. After the tension is close, adjust for alignment. Once alignment is right, verify tension and then torque the axle.

Put it on the ground and have someone sit on it to check tension a final time.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:11 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The nut will need to be loose to adjust the axle, if not it wont move. Check your service manual, if possible, for belt tension. My 08 said to check it air with no weight on it, or check in on the jiffy stand with no weight on it.