Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike - 2007 Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:18 AM
Dalthius
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike - 2007 Street Bob

I picked up my first bike yesterday. It's a 2007 Street Bob with V&H pipes and custom handle bars, red denim. Not my first choice in color, but it's growing on me. I picked it up for $10,350, less than 3k miles, so in my opinion it was a steal. Real clean bike.

I've ridden a few smaller bikes, the largest being an 1100 metric bike. I handled that one alright (I'm 5'7, 140 lbs) and figured a 1584 would be a challenge, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Um, yeah...

Holy crap this bike is FAST and HEAVY. Day 1 I was forced to "very gently" lay the bike on the ground due to a sudden failure to negotiate a small incline outside my garage. No biggie, no damage not even a scratch. Day 2 I felt good, confident, was on my way home after a fun hour ride. 300 meters from my drive way I made a terrible rookie mistake from a dead stop...turned the handle bars THEN hit the gas. Needless to say I went down quick. Sheered off my right rear turn signal (re-located custom job) and shattered my right front. The worst damage was my ego, but I shrugged it off. My bike, my fault, lesson learned. I picked it up and rode it home. Unfortunately that damn rear tail light rolled right down into a gutter so it was a complete loss. $200 later i have all the parts I need plus new smoked lenses, which I think look really nice on the Street Bob. I'll fix up the rear turn signal tomorrow over a bottle of whisky and fresh grilled steak, so no worries there.

I love the bike. So much power. Yeah, it seems to want to fight me (or, rather, I seem to want to fight IT) on those right turns, but I'll learn. It's my first bike, I'm going to scratch it, ding it, warp it. Maybe I should have gotten a smaller bike. Maybe. Don't care. The bike's MINE, and I love it.

I never knew you could have such strong feelings for a material thing. I haven't even gotten it out of third gear yet!

Attached Thumbnails First Bike - 2007 Street Bob-bike2.jpg  
Old 05-24-2009, 02:12 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on your new bike. It's great to hear that you have a good sense of humor about your newbie mistakes. If you haven't already, I'd recommend you take the MSF rider safety course. You'll learn a lot about the do's and don'ts and you'll have a blast while learning.

As far as having feelings for your bike, it's like this...the tobacco companies put nicotine in their tobacco, Harley puts something in either the paint or the chrome that is addicting...I'm going to file a Class Action lawsuit.....

Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 AM
YourOldDog
Cruiser

Congrats on the new machine! I could have written your story as mine was nearly identical without the damage. I've had mine (2007 bobber) about 2 months. She laid down on me while trying to make a left hand turn UP a country road with some gravel in the intersection. I thought I was in 1st but was actually in second gear. It chug chugged and then flopped over. That was bad but the good news was I am able to lift it up on my own if but with great difficulty

I have also had some rice burners. I used to wonder why the Harley boys always seemed to move so slowly with their bikes when my 750 twin Kawasaki felt so nimble, now I know. I think a lot of it has to do with the rake angle of the forks as it steers heavy in a parking lot compared to my other bikes. Now I just slow down and let everybody get a good look at how bad I look on my Harleywhile maneuvering at the gas pumps

Have fun, expect the worst and get home sans roadrash.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:39 AM
Dombow77
Tourer

Congrat on the new bike, love the Street Bob, I have an 06 Vivid Black. Just take you time and use your head, you will get better. As Jake said if you have not taken the MSF course you should, it is a great eye opener to rookies, and veterern riders.
Ride Safe and Welcome from New Hampshire.

Dombow77

Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride. As others have stated take a riders safty course. Take it easy and you will feel comfortable soon. Just be aware of the cages.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:19 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

+ on the MSF course. Plus you might want to look into an engine guard until you are more consistent and not dropping the bike. That way your turn sigs won't get damaged, or the tank, mirrors. A lot less damage till you get use to the bike.

Hang in there and before you know it will be natural and I agree with jake. I believe there is something in the paint and I wanna a cut of that law suit.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 AM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those flat bars should help you get the feel of it. Find some empty parking lots and just practice loops, or download the MSF course layout to get an idea of the measurements for the turns:
http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm...A&referer=MSTS

Old 05-24-2009, 11:41 AM
xbox
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got an 07 street bob too....

The dyna is a very balanced nimble bike!

my previous bike was a Harley Custom which was my first real bike,
it was too much power/torque, but compaired to the bob it was Very top heavy
and very tough to control at low speeds.

When I got on my bob, the balance had an almost bicycle balanced quality to it
meaning I could dodge little things in the road easily, It was great, and still love
my bike, I got it when it came out in 06...

Don't give up, but yes take the rider saftey class...

I DID NOT take the Class, That is WHY I have the streetbob instead of my old
harley custom ! (Freeway crash - road rash - Fire - Hospital = bad)

Take it easy

Old 05-24-2009, 12:38 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalthius
was on my way home after a fun hour ride.

I haven't even gotten it out of third gear yet!

An hour long ride, and only 3rd gear ?

Old 05-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SUMMARY
1. Welcome
2. Congrats on Nice Bike
3. Spend money in Mods
4. Take the MSF course.

Quick Reply: First Bike - 2007 Street Bob