Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I Need a Fuel Pack or Power Commander?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I Need a Fuel Pack or Power Commander?

Went to the dealer last weekend and was talking about getting different pipes for my 09 Superglide Custom....probably a V&H Big Radius 2 into 1 or Thunderheader. I was told all I really needed was the pipes and the air intake. When I asked about a fuel pack or power commander (which I know nothing about), he said I should save my money because with my style of riding all I needed was to have the pipes put on, the air intake put on and then have it flashed. That's it. I'm not the type that needs to get from A to B 100 MPH nor am I going to do any other engine mods such as bigger cams etc... just looking to change exhaust mainly for sound. I'm simple like that. At the same time, I'm complicated in that I want the thing to run right without popping and farting crossways whenever I coast down a hill or pull onto the interstate. It seems like I have read a lot where people are constantly taking their bikes in on the Dyno because they're not running right....am I opening up a can of worms here? Thanks,

Mike

Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 PM
Redbeard
Stellar HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

"Having it flashed" serves the same purpose as an aftermarket tuner such as those you mentioned. Stock HDs are programmed lean to pass emissions, and opening up the intake and exhaust just makes it worse, which is why you have to do something to richen it up. Some folks go with the HD re-flash from the dealer, others plug in XIEDs, and of course there are the Power Commander types of products that give you more options for tailoring to your application.
You can spend hours reading the pros/cons of these, and you should devote some time to seeing what's best for you. But in short, the dealer is technically correct; you'll be fine with the HD flash, though there are probably "better" options out there.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:56 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have no need for extra power and only want more sound then don't change your air cleaner ,just your pipes. Then you won't need anything but gas and oil changes.
And the can of worms is open you just have 'nt stepped in yet! HD mods are very addictive! Your wallet don't care how many times you open it,and soon neither will you! Good luck budd!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:02 PM
kazanimo
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

install the hd screamin eagle race tuner goes for 450 clams but if you ever want to do any other work in the future you are covered because they can go in and readjust all settings. so for 50 to 80 bucks a dynotune run you can do what ever you want to the bike. if you flash the ecm it will only be good for that bike set up. if you make changes you will need to flash again and again. just a suggestion but i feel leaving options open for the future is the way to go good luck

Old 07-13-2009, 07:14 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had V&H Double Barrel Q-Series installed over the winter along with the SE/AC and PCIII.
I also had it dyno tuned and had them richen up the mixture ratio. Since my bike is fuel injected .. we thought this was the way to go. I can say my bike runs WAY COOLER, I have NO POPPING or Backfiring coming from the exhaust like I hear many others have, and she starts up IMMEDIATELY with a nice RUMBLE sound. I love my ride and dont want to cut corners, even to "save a few bucks". Most people fall over at the prices of the Tuners........that's why he might have mentioned you could " get away without having one". They aren't cheap plus the labor time to install and map. But...... that being said, I couldn't be happier with my pipes, the sound and the reduction in heat.
My gas mileage stayed about the same.......anywhere between 42-48mpg @ 60 mph country road riding..

Old 07-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Handycam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a used Bob that came with the VH BigRadius and a stage 1 a/c upgrade. Sounds great. I only get "popping" when decelerating, which is only the air getting sucked in and detonating. Otherwise, it's a nice low rumble.