Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes or drag bars.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had both. Running apes now and really like them. Had drags with 8 inch rise thet would hurt my neck and shoulders after about a hour. I've got a set of wild 1 501's that I have listed in the dyna parts section PM me if your interested.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

if you go apes go 12" or higher...more comfortable than stock mini apes...the stockers hurt my back...my 16's are sooooo much more comfy....

Old 07-30-2009, 10:07 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I prefer drags. Instead of mini apes you can do a tall t-bar too. !0" or even more. It's all about what your goals are for the looks of the bike and the best location for your hands to maximize comfort and control.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:02 AM
bikedog60
2nd Gear

I have 12 inch mini apes on mine and I need to go a little higher. The ones I have now are much more comfortable than the stock bars but not as good as the 16s I had on my shovelhead- JMO

Old 07-31-2009, 05:32 AM
kenward
Cruiser

I have drags on my sportster and love em. When I got the dyna it had mini apes, first thing I thought was these have to go. Then after riding a bit I thought Dam, these are comfy!! Now I am torn like drag looks love ape comfort.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 AM
russell6hp
Tourer

Get some drags that pull back a little bit. Then you don't have to lean over quite so much and it could save you from the lower back pain.

My drags used to hurt my back until I put highway pegs on. Now when I kick my legs up my shoulders, back, and thighs fall into a very comfortable position!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 AM
K9pusher
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put drags with a 6 inch rise on my Street Bob. To me the drags are much more comfortable than the mini apes.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 AM
Stanger
Road Master

Originally Posted by 07bobber
if you go apes go 12" or higher...more comfortable than stock mini apes...the stockers hurt my back...my 16's are sooooo much more comfy....
Must agree here with Bobber. I started with mini apes, then tried some pullback bars (HD bars called reduced reach), then after thinking about it, decided to try a set of 16" apes that a buddy had and he did not want. After installing them and I got used to them I went on a 350 mile ride in a day and must admit they were awesome. I used to have shoulder problems with the others along with some back issues and after the 350 miles all was not to bad. Much better than the others I tried. I know it sounds crazy, but the apes really were more comfortable. So I say go with Apes!!!

Old 07-31-2009, 10:11 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ambrose
I was considering putting either mini apes or drag bars any feed back, a guy told me drag bars 8" were the greatest. I like the feel of the mini apes on the FXSTC, my bike is a 2008 superglide.
I saw a custom cycle show over the weekend and the builder said drag bars typically fit more aggressive style of riding, apes a more laid back cruising style. Given the same seat and pegs, drag bars typically take pressure off your tail bone but put more on your wrists. Drag bars allow you to lean into the wind. Apes don't seem to take as much effort to ride, however.

If you like the feel of the apes, I wouldn't change unless you want the look.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Flanders

I've run them all and ultimately settled on comfort over style. I now run Flanders Black Flat trackers with lots of extra pull back. They don't look as cool as Apes but after an 500 mile day I still feel good and can lift my glass of beer!

Quick Reply: Apes or drag bars.