Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley vs. Kuryakyn Foward Controls

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley vs. Kuryakyn Forward Controls

Good Day.....

09 FXDC

I've been doing a bunch of searching and reading here in regards to installing forward controls and the two most popular manufacturers seem to be Harley (of course) and Kuryakyn. I know that Harley instructions show the removal of the mid-control shaft where Kuryakyn has it locked out of the way with a "beauty cap" installed.

Here's my question......how proud of the outer primary does the Kuryakyn "beauty cap" sit and how flush does the Harley cap sit to the outer primary.

Depending on the outcome I might install the Harley setup but use the same methods as Kuryakyn does with regards to the shaft. All I'd need to do is get a chrome "beauty" cap for the outer primary as long as the stock mid shaft sits flush enough to the primary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

Last edited by Cohiba_Joe; 08-20-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Uquackmeup
Tourer

The Kury beauty cap sticks out 3/4"

Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Thanks......

A buddy of mine was wanting me to do the installation for him and get my opinion on which set. I wanted to find out as much as I could. I couldn't care less in regards to the additional labor involved with the Harley set. Biggest feedback I wanted to give him was about the area where the existing mid-control shaft exists the primary.

Any other info out there?

Brian

Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing I'll add is that the beauty cap is not as con****uous as I thought it was going to be. I never notice it and nobody has ever said a word about it - like, "what's that", or "that looks strange". (In other words it doesn't "stick out like a sore thumb") The cap goes on with a flush set screw that you can rotate to the underside of the cap so nobody ever sees the screw. The Kury kit also comes with a locking clip that bolts to the mid shift linkage lever that comes out of the top side of the primary and it is rubber coated and holds that no longer needed lever down behind the primary so it doesn't get seen and doesn't rattle around. The HD kit doesn't come with that and you need something there if you aren't going to remove the primary components.

I happen to have a set of Kuryakyn standard length forward controls for sale in the classifieds for 06 and up dynas if you or your friend is interested. They are takeoffs from my bike but are in very good condition. I changed them out for the Kuryakyn extended forward controls a few months ago.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Goddahavit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in my album is what it looks like with harley forwards and the kury clip, never put the cap on mine.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Don51
Road Captain

I have the HD forwards and left the mid shift in the primary. I did mine the same as Goddahavit, except I don't have the clip to hold the shift arm in place. All I did was tuck/force the mid shift in behind the head of a bolt on the engine. The end of the shaft is flush to the outer primary cover. I've been riding like that for 3 months now and haven't heard any rattles yet. I check it once in a while and it stays tucked in place. It's just another option!!

Last edited by Don51; 09-12-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Don51
I have the HD forwards and left the mid shift in the primary. I did mine the same as Goddahavit, except I don't have the clip to hold the shift arm in place. All I did was tuck/force the mid shift in behind the head of a bolt on the engine. The end of the shaft is flush to the outer primary cover. I've been riding like that for 3 months now and haven't heard any rattles yet. I check it once in a while and it stays tucked in place. It's just another option!!
This is what I did with mine, too.

I'm thinking about getting a polished steel shift rod with the heim joints like you've got. What size bolt/screw do I need to get to fasten it to the shifter lever?

Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 PM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont think the hd are any better or worse I used the Kury for ease and resell they can be returned to mids easy if you ever sell to a short buyer