Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks Ohlins, Arnott, which ones for Dyna????

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 09:21 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
So Fast, you're saying, in far more detail, what I was thinking about what I know of air ride systems. Although I do think its possible that someone figured out a new way.....just sayin.

But this is the kind of info I was lookin for on the Ohlins. I found the parts they sell and the listed prices like gbbrown linked his post to (thanks gb) but if I were ever to spend that kind of money I have to be convinced by how it works as well as word of mouth.

I didn't want to start a big hub bub over this guys.....was just askin
This above post was meant to educate the HDF members and to dispel all of the erroneous claims made by others about shocks. glideridemike, I personally do not care to convince you of anything. I do care about showing all here the facts and saving members from making a $1,600 mistake. These are the actual photos and I leave it up to the members to use their common sense and their own eyes to decide for themselves what they ride. If they buy whatever, it does not impact my life.

glideridemike, I can assure you that the several hours I spent preparing for the shot (cutting apart an air shock) and putting together this post plus expanded the Shock Knowledge Page on my web site was not directed at you. Please accept my apology.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:22 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Fast I did'nt think for one minute this was directed at me personally for any reason. But the info is a good reason why I like to be a bit more knowledgeable about new parts coming along for our bikes. Lots of misnomers out there.

Thanks for taking the time to pass things along.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Fast I did'nt think for one minute this was directed at me personally for any reason. But the info is a good reason why I like to be a bit more knowledgeable about new parts coming along for our bikes. Lots of misnomers out there.

Thanks for taking the time to pass things along.
Agree with you there! There has been some good information on rear shocks here on HDF and in the Touring forum of late. It helps to distinguish from 'custom' shocks which seem to be intended mainly for show, and 'real' ones that work well and improve ride quality.

Sounds as if we are both looking for quality!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:48 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
I was thinking the same thing. I have the Progressive 440's and like em a lot. Has anyone actually changed from one to the other on the same bike and could comment on the differences?
I have and the difference is night and day! the Ohlins improve ride comfort drastically and the rear feels solid and planted as well. The quality between the two shocks is a world of difference. I have the shocks without the reservoir as seen in my sig picture. Got em from Howard, I assure you he will not steer you wrong. As to what he is saying about the tires remaining in contact with the road, It is dead on. The Ohlins make my bike feels like the wheels are being pressed into the corners as opposed to before where the bike felt more skittish. An amazing difference and did I mention the float on air ride quality. The difference in these shocks over anything progressive makes is well worth it.

Last edited by rounder; 09-14-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:51 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

yeh, you too gb, I know you were just trying to help as well. The Ohlins and Arnotts look interesting but a bit too costly for me. Now I find I cannot get Progressive 440's for any less that changes the playing field....

I'm looking at some at fork rebuilding, rear shocks, cam tensioner work as well as lowering my wifes VStar this winter. Gotta be watching my pennys.....

Old 09-14-2009, 11:29 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rounder,

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear from someone who has ridden both and can give an informed comparison.

I will do a little reading up on the Ohlins. What is the difference between the Ohlins shock you have and the one with the reservoir?

Originally Posted by rounder
I have and the difference is night and day! the Ohlins improve ride comfort drastically and the rear feels solid and planted as well. The quality between the two shocks is a world of difference. I have the shocks without the reservoir as seen in my sig picture. Got em from Howard, I assure you he will not steer you wrong. As to what he is saying about the tires remaining in contact with the road, It is dead on. The Ohlins make my bike feels like the wheels are being pressed into the corners as opposed to before where the bike felt more skittish. An amazing difference and did I mention the float on air ride quality. The difference in these shocks over anything progressive makes is well worth it.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:24 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Rounder,

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear from someone who has ridden both and can give an informed comparison.

I will do a little reading up on the Ohlins. What is the difference between the Ohlins shock you have and the one with the reservoir?
reservoirs separate the oil from the chamber. I believe the primary benefit to a reservoir is in reduction of heat to the oil over time. Probably unnecessary unless racing or riding real hard for long distances. Also the higher end Ohlins offer more adjustability than mine. I cannot answer whether it is better for you to get the s36 like I have or a more adjustable version with the reservoir. I would recommend calling Howard at motorcycle metal (fast harley)and talking to him more about each shocks advantage and deciding from there.