Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Shock Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Broken Shock Bolt

Discovered my Shock was leaking with only 6,000 miles on it and when i went to pull over i heard a snap and the other shock top bolt sheared off !

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 09-16-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:59 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

See Jay Risk and his write up. The short answer is your shortened shocks will not work under the conditions you are putting them through. While shortened cheep shocks are good for profiling, they are a big compromise in riding. You must have hit so hard to shear one 1/2" bolt and bend the other mounting bolt. I would think the obvious answer would suffice.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by FastHarley
See Jay Risk and his write up. The short answer is your shortened shocks will not work under the conditions you are putting them through. While shortened cheep shocks are good for profiling, they are a big compromise in riding. You must have hit so hard to shear one 1/2" bolt and bend the other mounting bolt. I would think the obvious answer would suffice.
I never heard of such a thing !!

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 09-16-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a fairly common problem. The bolts were later replaced with studs but I have seen a couple of times the studs have sheared off. Even with stock shocks.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Red face

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I was looking at all your write ups about shocks very interesting , i like the low look but if this is going to keeping happening forget it , i would still want another set of the 412 11's but now i don't know after reading the posts

Old 09-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
It is a fairly common problem. The bolts were later replaced with studs but I have seen a couple of times the studs have sheared off. Even with stock shocks.
Studs ? Oh boy i'm going to have a hard time with this problem , 6 harleys and it never happened , but this is the first time i used the progressive and now it happened

Old 09-13-2009, 03:56 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just accept it as lower manufacturing cost equals lower quality. All companies have been trying to lower cost but the down side is quality. Even HD. I have seen this problem on 4 Dynas, all of them newer than an 05'. All had stock shocks.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Thumbs down Stock Shocks Too

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
I just accept it as lower manufacturing cost equals lower quality. All companies have been trying to lower cost but the down side is quality. Even HD. I have seen this problem on 4 Dynas, all of them newer than an 05'. All had stock shocks.
Stock shocks too ? Wow this sucks !!

Thanks for the heads up

Old 10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Thumbs up Free Progressive shock fix 412 11 inch

After my bolt had sheared off and left everything a mess including both shocks one was leaking and both rubber o-rings on top of each shock were twisted i called progressive about my mishap they said i needed a receipt for warranty well i told them bought them like 2 years ago and them on ebay and paid by money order and did not have the receipt but did not install them until i bought everything i wanted and to be put on in one shot , so they practically new and really only have 5,000 miles well Progressive gave me the ok to send them back and see what he can do but they weren't going to promise me anything well almost 3 weeks later they are in my state at UPS and do out for delivery Thursday 10/8 They replaced both dampers ( whatever they are ) and also replaced something on both ( i forgot what he said ) they must be like brand new again and they did not charge me !! i also bought all brand new hardware for both sides so Thursday i will be up and riding i can't wait !! all in all it cost me $18.00 to ship them and $59.00 for all new hardware i had to buy one spacer that fell off that was like 38.00 but i bought the 4 screws and one nut ( right side lower only gets it ) just in case there is stress cracks in the bolts that you can't see , lesson i learned watch out for ever little bump and pot hole and to check my shock bolts before riding , if the other one ever came off while riding who knows what would have happen. I can't wait to get my baby on the road 3 weeks is along time without riding her and Connecticut's weather is changing fast hopefully this weekend will be good !!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Default Progressive shocks delivery !!

Originally Posted by Wonkaboy
After my bolt had sheared off and left everything a mess including both shocks one was leaking and both rubber o-rings on top of each shock were twisted i called progressive about my mishap they said i needed a receipt for warranty well i told them bought them like 2 years ago and them on ebay and paid by money order and did not have the receipt but did not install them until i bought everything i wanted and to be put on in one shot , so they practically new and really only have 5,000 miles well Progressive gave me the ok to send them back and see what he can do but they weren't going to promise me anything well almost 3 weeks later they are in my state at UPS and do out for delivery Thursday 10/8 They replaced both dampers ( whatever they are ) and also replaced something on both ( i forgot what he said ) they must be like brand new again and they did not charge me !! i also bought all brand new hardware for both sides so Thursday i will be up and riding i can't wait !! all in all it cost me $18.00 to ship them and $59.00 for all new hardware i had to buy one spacer that fell off that was like 38.00 but i bought the 4 screws and one nut ( right side lower only gets it ) just in case there is stress cracks in the bolts that you can't see , lesson i learned watch out for ever little bump and pot hole and to check my shock bolts before riding , if the other one ever came off while riding who knows what would have happen. I can't wait to get my baby on the road 3 weeks is along time without riding her and Connecticut's weather is changing fast hopefully this weekend will be good !!
I check the UPS site again this morning and their on the truck today 10/7 out for delivery but it's raining figures !