Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why a dyna over a softail??

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Hooker 6
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage vs Low Rider

I've been riding a 2006 Heritage - upgraded seat, SE slipons, PC5, K & N Filter, added chrome and recently dyno'd. It is super smooth, strong torque and power and great to do 3-500 miles a day.

I recently bought a 2002 FXDL with 4700 miles because I wanted something lighter and more "personal". After Biketoberfest, I've added a K & N, SE slipons, upjetted, Mustang solo seat. chromed all the pegs and mounts, and taken off the windshield it came with. Now I have a bike that more reflects my individuality. I can do that more with a dyna, and its a 100 pounds lighter and handles better, and I kinda like the engine vibration you don't get with the super smooth softail motor.

This is about what you want, not necessarily which is better.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:00 AM
HELDVR
Cruiser

Got away from the sport bikes and always wanted a Harley. And one of the reasons that I wanted a Harley was because I could personalize it, and make it reflect ME! The cost of the Dyna allowed me to do that! I also like the Non-balanced motor vibration but my wife REALLY loves it! (Seems to anyways!) I like the Softtails as well but my next bike with be a Street Glide so no Softtail in sight!!

Oh.... keeping my Dyna too!!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everyone has said its an individual choice and you make it what you want. I will skip the Soft Tail family and go to a hopped up bagger, Ultra or Road Glide the Low stays. I might even add an older model Sporty to chop up a bit.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I own both (Dyna's and Softail's), and prefer the lighter weight and better handling and suspenion of the Dyna's...

But you can't go wrong with either...

Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by danktat
Never really thought I would dig the WG but I got a great deal on one. Figured I would just sell it if I needed to and get something else at the price I was paying for it. Little did I know I would fall in love with the ride. Now I can't get rid of it.

Same here dank.....btw, your scoot is lookin good....same with ofg, love the way both your bikes sport the same paint scheme.

Personally I go for the base silver combo, but sure appreciate the other '03 anniversary schemes too.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:13 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

This WG is my 4th Dyna, and I have been on almost every model but always come back to the Dyna. Lowriders are nice, owned an 01, but the first time I got on a WG it just fit, rent a few different ones and decide for yourself.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 AM
rokrawlr
Cruiser

I started on a sporty, and it just seemed like the natural progression. Similar looks, bigger engine, better ride... and a much better price than the softail. The only regret I have is that the aftermarket seems to forget about the dyna line when they come out with new stuff.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:47 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rokrawlr
I started on a sporty, and it just seemed like the natural progression. Similar looks, bigger engine, better ride... and a much better price than the softail. The only regret I have is that the aftermarket seems to forget about the dyna line when they come out with new stuff.
Especially the Wide Glide

Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Better bang for the buck. Liked the styling.

Next addition will by-pass Softail all together and be a Touring model.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,100 Likes on 1,637 Posts

I have nothing against softails, but I also came off of riding a modded metric "hooligan" bike and I still think about hp/weight ratio and better handling for havin' some fun on the city streets. The fact that it also costs less than a softail was a factor as well.

The Street Bob is just right for the type of riding I do...IMO, it's HD's version of a "hooligan" bike with the 96 cu inch motor.

Quick Reply: Why a dyna over a softail??