Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:01 PM
06BlackBob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape Wiring

I've heard that there's enough wiring in my 06 street bob to do internal wiring on 16'' apes without buying an extension kit. Is it true?

Old 11-29-2009, 01:55 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't believe you will find this to be the case.

I have a Super Glide, but have a set of switches and wiring from a Street Bob on it which I used to internally wire 10.5" Flanders mini-apes. Definitely not enough wire on the harness I used.

I think you are going to be looking at extensions.

Easy enough to pull the rubber grommets from the side of the neck, find the wiring harnesses, and see what you have to work with. May also have to pull the access cover from the bottom of the frame at the neck.

Last edited by jmpancoast; 11-29-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would recommend the extention kit. Very easy to use... crimp pins together and shrink wrap.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:38 PM
06BlackBob
Cruiser

just putting some quotes where I heard about the wiring...

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
I went +6 on all mine and the clutch cable seems alittle to long. Your stock wiring should be plenty long enuff to run internally.

Originally Posted by fitztrain
yup stock wires will have plenty to run internal on 16s

But, I will check when I get my bike back tomorrow or Tues if I don't spend the whole time RIDING that sucker since I haven't seen it in like 3 weeks since my wreck

Old 12-01-2009, 04:16 AM
fryejs
Intermediate

uh...No, believe it or not it will take more wire to run internally than it does on the outside, i dont have this setup but i did change out my 1" knuckle bars for 1 1/4" knuckle bars and i had to add wire. if you have to cut wires then i suggest going to parts store and getting 16 guage wire and cutting and soildering it in yourself. i found this to just be a "cheaper" way to get the job done, more to remember as far as colors go (write them down) but cheaper.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let, us know how it goes. I want to internal wire my existing 08 Street Bob, Mini Apes.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:22 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

no there is not enough, you are going to be about 4 inches short, i solded in extensions. took me no time

Old 12-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Derv
Tourer

I'm just in the process of doing this - fitting a set of Buckhorn bars to my Dyna Low. So far I've ascertained that I'm going to be needing a new front brake line, clutch cable (that seems to be just about 2" short) and the switch wiring is too short. I'm taking the tank off tomorrow to see if I can pull a bit of spare through but I'm not very hopeful so it looks like I'll be making a new pair of harnesses up. Turning out to be a lot more expensive than I thought! Hey, the weather here's terrible so I can't ride it - may as well work on it I guess!

Derv

Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 PM
akutz1
6th Gear

Derv im having the same experience. Im putting mini apes on my 07 Superglide. I originally ordered some street bob cables because i was told they would fit, they are about 4 inches short. Ordering custom cables today and pulling the tank off this weekend to see if i can squeeze an inch or 2 out of my existing switchwires. Not very hopefull.

This was supposed the be the cheap portion of my winter mods. Not so much.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:56 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by akutz1
Derv im having the same experience. Im putting mini apes on my 07 Superglide. I originally ordered some street bob cables because i was told they would fit, they are about 4 inches short. Ordering custom cables today and pulling the tank off this weekend to see if i can squeeze an inch or 2 out of my existing switchwires. Not very hopefull.

This was supposed the be the cheap portion of my winter mods. Not so much.
doesn't the streetbob come with miniapes? so why would the cables be too short?

Quick Reply: Ape Wiring