Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RSD Nostalgic Velocity Stack

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:58 PM
MARCUS 79
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked Wimmer website............ RESULT = More confused than before :-)) Really lots of options to consider.......

Old 01-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Los11
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Devil Dog
Velocity stacks look great but if you're gonna run them on the street, plan on rebuilding your engine every year. They're mainly for high-performance track applications.

Bro where do u get your info from rebuilding ur motor every year I hate when people post info that is completely WRONG when someone is looking for real info...

A stack will not damage your motor in any way as long as you use the right precautions. On the peformance end you will lose some on the Torque side they are really made for drag bikes. I ran one on my bike for 3 years never rebuilt my motor ^^^ LOL.. They come with a rain sock which is just a filter sock you throw over the horn when it rains just a precautions so you dont suck water into ur motor. All in all a stack is cool looking not the best for performance just like lets say drag pipes are but they look cool same with a stack paying the money that Sands charges for his is crazy but if you like it and could afford it then screw it they usually cost like 100-150 bucks but that is also for a carb bike. Only situation I would say dont get one is if you live by the water like by the shore I mean you live right on the beach cause the air tends to have sand in it and stuff and sucking that into your motor all the time isnt the best.. But they are 100% safe unless you suck a small bird threw one....lol its happened

Old 01-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Los11
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nightster666
Just checked Wimmer website............ RESULT = More confused than before :-)) Really lots of options to consider.......
Wimmer has good stuff but a little pricey, there options are really all diff type of stacks, breathers etc etc. I always ran stacks on my bikes but they were always S&S Carbs on the EFI system you have less options of stacks you kind of have to go the pricey route. What are you confused on maybe I can help?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:01 AM
MARCUS 79
Tourer

Originally Posted by Los11
Wimmer has good stuff but a little pricey, there options are really all diff type of stacks, breathers etc etc. I always ran stacks on my bikes but they were always S&S Carbs on the EFI system you have less options of stacks you kind of have to go the pricey route. What are you confused on maybe I can help?
Thanks for your detailed info. I am confused what really to choose, since i like the looks, but I am not mechanically minded and I do not know what is the real difference between stacks, heavy breathers etc etc I taught they are all filters and built for the same purpose. And yes I do live near the beach...... I have to run it on the 2010 SB

Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 AM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's pretty simple really. Velocity stacks don't filter, they're designed to take in as much air as possible. Air cleaners on the other hand Do filter, some flow more than others. There's no doubt that stacks look cool, and people have run them on the street for at least 50 years. Fact is, they are not as good for your engine as a real air cleaner setup. They may not cause catastrophic engine failure or anything, but you Will get more sand/silt/sediment in your engine than if you had a filter. The end decision is yours.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:05 AM
MLWilson
Tourer

I used the KISS method, HD stage 1 and a Zippers filter. http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...&mmyId=7800008

Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

If you want discount pricing on any of these items send me a PM. I'll see what I can do. I'll price match if you can prove the price. Some of these items are quite expensive, but it's only money. You can't take it with you and you only live once. As far as the velocity stack, personally I would rather have something with a filter like the Venturi, but that's jsut me. The beauty of this is that everyone has different tastes.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nightster666
Thanks for your detailed info. I am confused what really to choose, since i like the looks, but I am not mechanically minded and I do not know what is the real difference between stacks, heavy breathers etc etc I taught they are all filters and built for the same purpose. And yes I do live near the beach...... I have to run it on the 2010 SB
Hey nightster, last saint had that rsd stack on his bike before. He removed it a while back. You could PM him and ask about his results with it and why he took it off. If I recall he said it sucked too much air, but not sure about this. IMHO, living on the beach, I would recommend getting the air cleaner instead of the stack. Wimmer's products are really good too. You get the backing plate and breathers, then choose a velocity stack or air cleaner to mount on the backing plate. So you could actually go with different looks without changing the backing plate.... I agree their website is kinda confusing. Onr thing I can say about the breather system in the RSD air cleaner... it sucks. The oil blowby gets between the backing plate and the trim plate, it ends up seeping out onto my tailpipe after a while. They tell you to use silicone gasket stuff to stop this, yet it does not work all that well in actually stopping it.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:28 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with Country Punk. Very well said.

Originally Posted by CountryPunk
It's pretty simple really. Velocity stacks don't filter, they're designed to take in as much air as possible. Air cleaners on the other hand Do filter, some flow more than others. There's no doubt that stacks look cool, and people have run them on the street for at least 50 years. Fact is, they are not as good for your engine as a real air cleaner setup. They may not cause catastrophic engine failure or anything, but you Will get more sand/silt/sediment in your engine than if you had a filter. The end decision is yours.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Glad your velocity stack experience was good. (Must be all that fresh air in NJ ). I think Country Punks post a few down is right on target though.

BTW, do agree that they look cool.

Originally Posted by Los11
Bro where do u get your info from rebuilding ur motor every year I hate when people post info that is completely WRONG when someone is looking for real info...

A stack will not damage your motor in any way as long as you use the right precautions. On the peformance end you will lose some on the Torque side they are really made for drag bikes. I ran one on my bike for 3 years never rebuilt my motor ^^^ LOL.. They come with a rain sock which is just a filter sock you throw over the horn when it rains just a precautions so you dont suck water into ur motor. All in all a stack is cool looking not the best for performance just like lets say drag pipes are but they look cool same with a stack paying the money that Sands charges for his is crazy but if you like it and could afford it then screw it they usually cost like 100-150 bucks but that is also for a carb bike. Only situation I would say dont get one is if you live by the water like by the shore I mean you live right on the beach cause the air tends to have sand in it and stuff and sucking that into your motor all the time isnt the best.. But they are 100% safe unless you suck a small bird threw one....lol its happened

Quick Reply: RSD Nostalgic Velocity Stack