Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna VS V-Rod

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 AM
FXD_Marine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally my only beef with vrods are the fact that they cant hang with the rest of the harley line on the highway. i mean YES they can out run them however you can go farther on a tank of gas on an air cooled harley on the highway vice a vrod on the highway. big thing here is the fact that at 70 mph or so, the vrod "cruises" at like 4 1/2 thousand rpm where your aircooled harley is going to cruise at under 3k... big difference.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 AM
AFONE
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

V-Rod was going to be my first Harley. In terms of performance, it was a better transition going from a sportbike to a cruiser. I ended up with the Fat Bob because it seemed to fit better with what I wanted from a cruiser.

That being said, you're comparing apples to oranges. If you wanna go fast, get the V-Rod. (and don't buy into the "Its not a real Harley" crap)

Old 02-16-2010, 11:17 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just gave my magazine away but they had an article in the motorcycle world magazine this month comparing the new Wide glyde to the vrod muscle with all the numbers and info.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe it was cycle world not sure was a good informative article. it was in one of the last two issues

Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am sure that had cycle-rama built your bike, they could easily get a 103 to outrun a stock vrod . the can get almost 140hp out of a 95" build....

Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

all really depends on the quality of the build and the rider.

in most cases i think it's a no, but lots of variables there.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 PM
FXD_Marine
Cruiser
Question

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
I just gave my magazine away but they had an article in the motorcycle world magazine this month comparing the new Wide glyde to the vrod muscle with all the numbers and info.
a wide glide to a vrod? how the hell are those two remotely similar... at all? that has me wondering.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 PM
cjm8806
Cruiser

I just built my 103" last year and the first thing i did after breaking it in was try to beat my buddys vrod! ha. his vrod isnt completely stock he has cams and a race tuner i believe. But it was pretty close. Like most of you said it depends on the driver, and also how much you stick. a couple runs we ran from stop and a couple we ran from a roll, he was pretty much ahead of me by a bike length everytime unless i got a really good jump on him or he spun the tire. Then we would be just about even.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:51 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cjm8806
I just built my 103" last year and the first thing i did after breaking it in was try to beat my buddys vrod! ha. his vrod isnt completely stock he has cams and a race tuner i believe. But it was pretty close. Like most of you said it depends on the driver, and also how much you stick. a couple runs we ran from stop and a couple we ran from a roll, he was pretty much ahead of me by a bike length everytime unless i got a really good jump on him or he spun the tire. Then we would be just about even.
Hmm..makes me think that maybe with some tweaking (maybe a better cam choice,etc) you could take him. Also, a slight gearing change? Doesn't seem that far out of possibilities for a dyna to take a vrod.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:10 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would have to be a pretty good built motor to take out a stock vrod. I rode a muscle last summer and really pushed it to the limit, I mean I rode it hard to really get a idea of what these bike are capable of. And they can kick some a$$ in the right hands! I would say it's a possibility, but only under the right conditions.

Quick Reply: Dyna VS V-Rod