Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic Trouble Codes - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 PM
wideglidewy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic Trouble Codes - NEED HELP

I have an '04 wide glide that will turn over but won't spark. Suspected bad ICM, coil, or crank position sensor. Ran a self-diagnostic test but holding in the odometer button, using the PSSPt method (P=ECM/ICM, S=TSM/TSSM, SP=speedometer, t=tachometer), and the reading for the ICM (the bike is carbed) was 'no rsp'. Does this mean the ICM is bad? I don't want to blow hundreds $$ if the ICM is good and something else is going on. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh - there is no power to the coil - ergo the suspected bad ICM.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I have to ask the obvious. When you ran the DTC test, was the run/off switch in the run position?
"No Rsp" will appear if the run/off switch is in the off position during the test.

I wouldn't think the crank sensor is bad without a P0374 CKP Sensor Not Detected Carb code.

Has anything been 'winter modded' recently?

Old 03-18-2010, 04:43 PM
wideglidewy
Intermediate

Yes - the stop/run switch was turned to run. New handlebar assembly was installed, but checked all upper wires with a multimeter and they have juice - the problem is down low underneath the seat. I didn't not disconnect/reconnect anything associated with the ICM, coil, sensors, etc. (other than disconnect the battery) while replacing the bars.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:26 PM
wideglidewy
Intermediate

I also wanted to note that there is power going to the ICM and TSSM as verified at 12v with a multimeter. Can anyone verify that the ICM crapped out before I go buy a new one? I really don't like giving HD $$ for parts I don't need.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Sorry man, I got nuthin.
Typically, 99% of the time you can trace the problem to the area you just worked on. But there is always that 1% that is just a coincidence.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:04 PM
wideglidewy
Intermediate

***GOOD NEWS***THE BIKE STARTS AGAIN!!!

Just wanted to closed out this thread in case anyone changing handlebars has the same problem starting the bike. As you know, I put 16" apes on my 2004 Wide Glide. After installing the bars, wires, and cables, and meticulously checking everything, the bike would turn over but not fire up. There was "no rsp" from the ICM when I ran a diagnostic. The problem was a bad ground wire coming off the right handlebar switch which caused a lack of power to the coil/plugs. The wire broke loose at the right-turn-signal Deutsch connector as I pushed the wires back inside the frame. After a week of checking the crank position sensor, spark plugs/wires, coil, TSSM, ICM, battery, resetting the security system, calling mechanics/friends, etc, I repulled the tank, pulled the wires back out, and rechecked the connections. Everything, including the ICM, was golden. If you replace handlebars on a 2004 Dyna Wide Glide, check, double check, triple check, the Fu*#ING Deutsch connectors.