Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mods-Handling Improved

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Mods-Handling Improved

Just wanted to share info. about modifications to improve the handling of my bike. I've already posted about the difference adding dual Brembo brakes made to the bike: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...t-no-fade.html
Since then I went on a diet- well, the bike went on a diet- to lower unsprung weight. I shaved about 25 pounds by adding Excel aluminum rims. Then the OEM brake rotors were replaced with 300 mm. Matrix Composite rotors from MotorcycleMetal.com. That reduced weight by more than 10 pounds! So, this is what I've got on the bike:
Excel Aluminum Wheels
300 mm Dual Brembo brakes with matrix composite rotors
Racetech cartridge emulators and springs up front
Metzler 880 tires
Ohlins 36PRCLB Shocks
Tru-Track Stabilizer
Stage 1 with FatCat 2 into 1

The ride quality is exceptional. Lowered unsprung weight has made the bike feel like it falls into corners with the flick of the wrist. The Ohlins shocks and Racetech emulators give the rider control over bumps of every size and at every speed. There is no rider fatigue from fighting the road, and the feel over harsh and broken pavement is of stable control.The true-track stabilizer has removed the ugly "twitch" I experienced in fast sweeping turns with the Dyna rubber mounts.
If anyone is considering upgrading suspension and improving handling, these components have worked out perfectly. I can stop from 50 to 0 in 70 feet or less; have great ground clearance (for a Harley); exceptional control over road irregularities and in cornering; and increased pop off the line with unsprung weight reduced. The last two days in Chicago have been great weather, and I've had a chance to put the mods to the test. A+
Jay

Old 04-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the evaluation. I still need to install my true track. Probably soon as the weather is now beginning to warm up. Ohlin shocks? Maybe someday!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Jay,

Sure sounds like you've built an awesome handling dyna! I'm putting on the Ohlins 219 (S36PR1C1LB) this weekend and can't wait to see how the bike rides with them vs the Progressive 440's.

I see you went with Racetech cartridge emulators in your forks and it sounds like you like them a lot. Did you consider going with inverted forks; Storz-Ceriani, Ohlins, Motorcycle Metal?

Originally Posted by Jay Risk
Just wanted to share info. about modifications to improve the handling of my bike. I've already posted about the difference adding dual Brembo brakes made to the bike: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...t-no-fade.html
Since then I went on a diet- well, the bike went on a diet- to lower unsprung weight. I shaved about 25 pounds by adding Excel aluminum rims. Then the OEM brake rotors were replaced with 300 mm. Matrix Composite rotors from MotorcycleMetal.com. That reduced weight by more than 10 pounds! So, this is what I've got on the bike:
Excel Aluminum Wheels
300 mm Dual Brembo brakes with matrix composite rotors
Racetech cartridge emulators and springs up front
Metzler 880 tires
Ohlins 36PRCLB Shocks
Tru-Track Stabilizer
Stage 1 with FatCat 2 into 1

The ride quality is exceptional. Lowered unsprung weight has made the bike feel like it falls into corners with the flick of the wrist. The Ohlins shocks and Racetech emulators give the rider control over bumps of every size and at every speed. There is no rider fatigue from fighting the road, and the feel over harsh and broken pavement is of stable control.The true-track stabilizer has removed the ugly "twitch" I experienced in fast sweeping turns with the Dyna rubber mounts.
If anyone is considering upgrading suspension and improving handling, these components have worked out perfectly. I can stop from 50 to 0 in 70 feet or less; have great ground clearance (for a Harley); exceptional control over road irregularities and in cornering; and increased pop off the line with unsprung weight reduced. The last two days in Chicago have been great weather, and I've had a chance to put the mods to the test. A+
Jay

Old 04-02-2010, 12:25 PM
macnab_sf
Road Master

Can you give more data on the Excel rims?

What sizes you running? Stock or aftermarket hubs?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:29 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. I love your bike!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 PM
ged533
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suspension often overlooked on harleys.going in that direction myself,on a diet.metmachex aluminum swingarm and matrix ceramic rotors [3]to be installed next week.2004 fxdx.have trutracs,fork bracenow.hope i am as pleased as you

Attached Thumbnails New Mods-Handling Improved-picture-008.jpg  
Old 04-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Default Yup, but...

Originally Posted by bigdaddy33
Hey Jay,

Sure sounds like you've built an awesome handling dyna! I'm putting on the Ohlins 219 (S36PR1C1LB) this weekend and can't wait to see how the bike rides with them vs the Progressive 440's.

I see you went with Racetech cartridge emulators in your forks and it sounds like you like them a lot. Did you consider going with inverted forks; Storz-Ceriani, Ohlins, Motorcycle Metal?
I looked at the inverted forks and wanted to stay with stock look at the time(so Howard fabricated forks using the V-rod lowers). Those inverted forks from MotorcycleMetal.com look mighty nice, and the improvements in handling would probably be very noticeable. For now, though, I'll be sticking with what I have. Jay

Old 04-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Smile aluminum swing arm

Originally Posted by ged533
Suspension often overlooked on harleys.going in that direction myself,on a diet.metmachex aluminum swingarm and matrix ceramic rotors [3]to be installed next week.2004 fxdx.have trutracs,fork bracenow.hope i am as pleased as you
I think you will be- awesome set-up you have. The FXDX was the inspiration for the mods on my bike, and then I added a few BTW, how much does the Metmachex swingarm weigh? Jay

Old 04-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Default same hubs

Originally Posted by macnab_sf
Can you give more data on the Excel rims?

What sizes you running? Stock or aftermarket hubs?
I'll check on the size tonight after work- close to stock, if not exact. The hubs are the OEM hubs- that's the beauty of the StreetBob coming with spokes. An easy conversion to the aluminum rims. From Buchanan in California. Jay

Old 04-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Royce
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the update! She looks sharp and the handling must be fantastic. I think that'll be my next project after putting on forwards.

Quick Reply: New Mods-Handling Improved