Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front tire gone flat again...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:52 PM
elevenbravo78
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry front tire gone flat again...

this is the second time in about a month and a half that my front 21 in. 40 spoke (tubed) front dunlop has gone flat. the tire is overdue to be replaced, but it shouldn't of gone flat so quickly right? last time a mechanic told me the tubes get twisted and they eventually spring a leak. I was just concerned the wheel maybe defective since it happened again so soon? this happen to anyone else?

Old 04-18-2010, 07:07 PM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member

Any idea on where the hole is, on the tube? I would look into where the valve stem comes out. It might have a sharp edge causing it to cut into the stem itself. I don't know how a tube would get twisted inside the tire, but I would also change tubes with the tires.

Last edited by red devil; 04-18-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:36 AM
elevenbravo78
Cruiser

thanks I'll check that, good possibility. I ordered some tubes with metal stems and straps as well as a new set of dunlops. they were overdue anyway. oh well, at least my old glide still runs just leaks oil out of the primary. (a little more than its supposed to) I can at least ride that! LOL thanks again.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I would check the tube for the hole location. Then look on the rim in the corresponding spot. Usually you will find the culprit... Did you install the tube and tire or did someone else? Good luck.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior

Does the Shop that installed your tire Honor warranty issues and repair/ replace for free. If so, you're just inconvienanced time.

but twice in a few weeks isnt good at all. Have you checked the Bead portion of your tire. Sometimes a dseal isnt made causing a the tire rubber to shift on the rim occassionally pinching the tube and causing it to leak

Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This happen to me as well, I deducted that each time it went flat was right after I had checked tire pressure. My problem solved after new valve stem..

As far as the twisted tube theory, the tube wont twist after its fully inflated,
However when the tube is being inserted into the tire, it can be twisted somewhat.
With the high pressure air pumps that service's have now adays, folds and slight rotation of the tube get caught and pressured inside the tire.
A good service guy will know this and air the tire just until the tire seats itself, then let the tube expel all air, straighting all folds and slight twists.
Then installing valve stem and airing to desired pressure.. With this being said it normally takes many miles before this kind of a problem starts to cause air loss.

Sorry didn't mean to sound like "The Tire Guy"....