Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 03:59 PM
jshull
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schneidermang
If you wanna go fast......buy a fast bike. That's what the guy in the Cobra did. Otherwise he'd be on the Toyota Tercel site wondering how to make the Tercel corner better.
he never said anything about speed, he said the bike wont do twisties, so until you take your training wheels off and push your bike dont put your 2 cents in.
first turn your shocks up a click or two, if that doesnt help then move to the next step. better suspension will help alot, Ricor, Ohlins, works, progressive 430. not a taller shock, just better, yours should have 12 or 12.5 factory. also take the stock exhaust off, it hangs low. i drug my oem pegs damn near in half before I put forward controls on, I have even hit those a few times. the exhaust was pretty nasty also. never drug my short shots but I put on big shots and since I lowered my bike they drag if I push anything.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Zepfan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, guys. I don't consider myself to be an expert rider, but I've been riding for many years and have learned a lot on my own. I know my limitations, and hanging-off is way beyond them. Maybe I should spend some time on a track to sharpen my skills and learn new ones.

I am pretty big at 240lbs, which doesn't help either. I've bumped up the engine performance already with a mild stage 3 build, so the stock pipes were taken off a long time ago, but the new pipes (Rinehart Crossbacks) still hang pretty low. I grind the crankcase on the other side, but there's a little more lean angle.

Going to look into the progressive 430s and other performance shocks.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 PM
schneidermang
Advanced

Jshull......I guess I misunderstood the post.
He said:
Today, a guy in a Cobra challenged me on some backroads, and my bottom end power left him in the dust on the straightaways, but I was forced to slow down in the twisties, which ended up allowing him to pass me. I usually don't go in for such antics, but I am very familiar with these roads and happened to be in the mood for it today.

Sorry.....I thought he was racing a Cobra on a Superglide and couldn't stay ahead of him in the corners.

Since I can't seem to comprehend what he was saying I guess I'll just stick with my original sentiment. How the hell do you think you're really going to "go fast" (around corners) on a friggin Superglide? Ever notice there isn't a road race for Superglides? Or Road Kings or even a Street Rod??? That's because they aren't meant for any of those "antics". Sure...you can improve your motorcycle to handle better than factory...but all the modifications in the world aren't going to make that bike really handle. That's where sayings like you can't polish a turd or don't put a dress on a pig come from.

You ought to try a fast bike...one with the capability to go around a corner without dragging hard parts. I might suggest a well sorted sportster, a modern Triumph or God forbid.....a sportbike from Italy or Japan.

PS....I like my training wheels.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:13 PM
schneidermang
Advanced

Oh yeah.....Zepfan.....I mean't no disrespect to you. All I meant was that a Superglide is the wrong tool to carve corners with. If that's your thing get another (or a second) bike.

I want to go around corners faster too. I am going to ask my Mommy if I can raise my training wheels so they don't touch all the time.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:14 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

should get pretty good in here.

i'll stay and watch.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

Jshull......I guess I misunderstood the post.
He said:
Today, a guy in a Cobra challenged me on some backroads, and my bottom end power left him in the dust on the straightaways, but I was forced to slow down in the twisties, which ended up allowing him to pass me. I usually don't go in for such antics, but I am very familiar with these roads and happened to be in the mood for it today.

Sorry.....I thought he was racing a Cobra on a Superglide and couldn't stay ahead of him in the corners.

Since I can't seem to comprehend what he was saying I guess I'll just stick with my original sentiment. How the hell do you think you're really going to "go fast" (around corners) on a friggin Superglide? Ever notice there isn't a road race for Superglides? Or Road Kings or even a Street Rod??? That's because they aren't meant for any of those "antics". Sure...you can improve your motorcycle to handle better than factory...but all the modifications in the world aren't going to make that bike really handle. That's where sayings like you can't polish a turd or don't put a dress on a pig come from.

You ought to try a fast bike...one with the capability to go around a corner without dragging hard parts. I might suggest a well sorted sportster, a modern Triumph or God forbid.....a sportbike from Italy or Japan.

PS....I like my training wheels.
Looking at the Albany area, I really don't see anything that is tight and twisty.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&...04527&t=h&z=12

Looking at my area I see PLENTY of tight and twisty!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...04527&t=h&z=12

And it's only 12.5 miles! First set of twisties heading south is "suggested speed" of 25 mph, but taking those turns at 50 or 60 ain't that hard on my scoot! Ya, I'll scrape a peg through the turns, but that's why I buy cheap pegs! The southern most set of twisties I'm pullin 4-5K rpm in second and third gear runnin about 50-55mph.

Have I had my a$$ of the seat through some of those turns? HELL YEAH I HAVE!!! Do I have a witness? Yup, except he doesn't post here, cause he's on a KTM Super Motard 990 something or other. Why would I do all of the aforementioned, if you have to ask, I'm sorry for you!

should get pretty good in here.

i'll stay and watch.
My thoughts EXACTLY!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM
mikehdwg
Cruiser

When I want to go fast in the twisties I take my other toy bring that ford on

Old 05-13-2010, 08:52 PM
schneidermang
Advanced

Yeah....you're right. Downtown Albany is pretty lame. Luckily we are pretty close to the largest national park in the country. Zoom out your map if you don't know what it's called.

And once again...scraping your pegs doesn't mean you're actually going fast. It just means you've reached the maximum of your bike. Congratulations on doubling the suggested limit in a corner. My wife can do that in her minivan.

Ask Mikehdwg if he can double the suggested limit too. I bet he can do a little better than that.

I grind the pegs on my FXDF....whoopie. And my bike makes really tough vroom vroom noises. Yahoo! I am still not going "fast"....fast for a Harley? Sure. But when put in perspective...as in the real world...where there are stock 180 HP, $11,000 sportbikes...

But seriously.....my Triumph Speed Triple could eat any Superglide for breakfast on a straightaway or a corner.

Who was on the KTM? Christopher Reeve?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:04 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

Originally Posted by schneidermang
Yeah....you're right. Downtown Albany is pretty lame. Luckily we are pretty close to the largest national park in the country. Zoom out your map if you don't know what it's called.

And once again...scraping your pegs doesn't mean you're actually going fast. It just means you've reached the maximum of your bike. Congratulations on doubling the suggested limit in a corner. My wife can do that in her minivan.

Ask Mikehdwg if he can double the suggested limit too. I bet he can do a little better than that.

I grind the pegs on my FXDF....whoopie. And my bike makes really tough vroom vroom noises. Yahoo! I am still not going "fast"....fast for a Harley? Sure. But when put in perspective...as in the real world...where there are stock 180 HP, $11,000 sportbikes...

But seriously.....my Triumph Speed Triple could eat any Superglide for breakfast on a straightaway or a corner.

Who was on the KTM? Christopher Reeve?
That's all fine, but the last time I was through Albany there aint much elevation change either! In addition, this is a HARLEY fourm not a Triumph forum! So, riding a Dyna fast, and hangin', IS POSSIBLE!!!!

But the sad thing is, you're still in Albany! J/K LOL!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Hal@Ricor
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JimmysFXDC
That's all fine, but the last time I was through Albany there aint much elevation change either! In addition, this is a HARLEY fourm not a Triumph forum! So, riding a Dyna fast, and hangin', IS POSSIBLE!!!!

But the sad thing is, you're still in Albany! J/K LOL!!!
To much fun ... gotta link!!
Ricor makes mono shocks for some of the knee draggers also and they really perform well and so far have one all the races they have been used in , I don't like that style bike myself, and to old to ride them anywhere near their potential, but that does not mean I don't respect them. They will eventually get to a Harley when they grow up Anyone who rides a bike is OK in my book.

Quick Reply: suspension upgrades