Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@Ricor
To much fun ... gotta link!!
Ricor makes mono shocks for some of the knee draggers also and they really perform well and so far have one all the races they have been used in , I don't like that style bike myself, and to old to ride them anywhere near their potential, but that does not mean I don't respect them. They will eventually get to a Harley when they grow up Anyone who rides a bike is OK in my book.
I'll try and get my buddy with his KTM such-and-such to snap a pic or two through those turns for you! I am running Ricors in the front, for now. Just waiting for a "good" drop-in cartridge system for the front! HINT HINT!!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 01:50 AM
Zepfan
Advanced

Originally Posted by schneidermang
Oh yeah.....Zepfan.....I mean't no disrespect to you. All I meant was that a Superglide is the wrong tool to carve corners with. If that's your thing get another (or a second) bike.

I want to go around corners faster too. I am going to ask my Mommy if I can raise my training wheels so they don't touch all the time.
No disrespect taken. I don't expect my bike to handle as well as a sportbike, but I plan on keeping it and making it go through corners as well as possible. Same reason I got a 103"kit, hotter cams, performance exhaust/intake, milled heads, etc. Just to make my bike better, not to outperform a Hayabusa or something.

It's not that the superglide isn't fast...a built sg has got the torque to make it quick on the bottom end...something like 0-60 in 4 or 4 1/2 seconds. That beats most sport cars, and I like to accelerate, so I'm used to controlling the power off the line without spinning my rear wheel, plus I know how to shift. It sounds like the lean angles are the problem. I have forward controls, so that prevents me from hanging off. Guess I'll just have to get better shocks in the understanding it's not going to help much.

Stoplight to stoplight is pretty much the only battle I have a chance at with my bike, so I'll just choose my fights better from now on.

Last edited by Zepfan; 05-14-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zepfan
No disrespect taken. I don't expect my bike to handle as well as a sportbike, but I plan on keeping it and making it go through corners as well as possible. Same reason I got a 103"kit, hotter cams, performance exhaust/intake, milled heads, etc. Just to make my bike better, not to outperform a Hayabusa or something.

It's not that the superglide isn't fast...a built sg has got the torque to make it quick on the bottom end...something like 0-60 in 4 or 4 1/2 seconds. That beats most sport cars, and I like to accelerate, so I'm used to controlling the power off the line without spinning my rear wheel, plus I know how to shift. It sounds like the lean angles are the problem. I have forward controls, so that prevents me from hanging off. Guess I'll just have to get better shocks in the understanding it's not going to help much.

Stoplight to stoplight is pretty much the only battle I have a chance at with my bike, so I'll just choose my fights better from now on.
do this to your bike:

Attached Thumbnails suspension upgrades-date_14-2.jpg  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:14 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

It's not that the superglide isn't fast...a built sg has got the torque to make it quick on the bottom end...something like 0-60 in 4 or 4 1/2 seconds.
My stock WG with the Big Sucker and V&H Big Radius does 0-60 in 4.6 without really going full out. So I hope a built Twin Cam is a lot quicker than that.

One of the nice things about the Dakota Digital gauge is it has a 0-60, 1/4 mile speed and time function. Can be lots of fun....

Old 05-14-2010, 09:01 AM
schneidermang
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimmysFXDC
That's all fine, but the last time I was through Albany there aint much elevation change either! In addition, this is a HARLEY fourm not a Triumph forum! So, riding a Dyna fast, and hangin', IS POSSIBLE!!!!

But the sad thing is, you're still in Albany! J/K LOL!!!

Yeah, I am still stuck in Albany (actually Guilderland). It's located in a valley next to the Adirondacks, the Berkshires, the Green mountains, the Catskills, etc. Three mountain ranges in the immediate area but no elevation changes? You are well informed.

Ever wonder why they never post lap times when they do comparisons of all the different Harleys and other crusiers?

I am sure that you can ride the wheels off your Harley...

Can't wait to see you at Laguna Seca showing everyone what fast really is.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:36 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one rounder. The taller shocks will also help the turn in when cornering. Its surprising what can be done to make a dyna handle better , it,ll never be a sports bike but it can be rewarding to ride a bike and get the best out of it rather than like the vast majority on sports bikes who can,t ride anywhere near their bikes potential. Take a look at the chicken strips on the side of your average sport bike tyres. You only have to watch a super stock race on the track to realise how fast they are, definitely licence busters....twas good fun though.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by schneidermang
Yeah, I am still stuck in Albany (actually Guilderland). It's located in a valley next to the Adirondacks, the Berkshires, the Green mountains, the Catskills, etc. Three mountain ranges in the immediate area but no elevation changes? You are well informed.

Ever wonder why they never post lap times when they do comparisons of all the different Harleys and other crusiers?

I am sure that you can ride the wheels off your Harley...

Can't wait to see you at Laguna Seca showing everyone what fast really is.
My guess is that most of us could care less about laguna seca lap times and other comparative nonsense. Fact is a Harley can be made to corner better and run faster that it does... and as an added benefit, the folk riding their Harleys are not in some god awfully uncomfortable position with their knees in their chest and stomaches on the tanks... so unless you actually can find something constructive to say, why bother... sure a crotch rocket is faster around corners... who cares...it's all about the end users enjoyment and comfort...

Old 05-14-2010, 05:25 PM
JimmysFXDC
Road Master

Rounder, you're my hero. (Said like Cameron in Ferris Beuller's Day Off)

Would I like to take my bike to a track day at Laguna Seca, HELL YA! Will I, nope. I'm quite happy with my setup that allows me to cruise the freeways and run hard in the twisties and push my bike an my personal limits. Do I ever run Skyline like that on a weekend or with a passenger, nope. Too crowded with all bikers. I'll just run it during the week when traffic is significantly lighter. To each their own, just have fun riding your bike!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Zepfan
Advanced

Originally Posted by rounder
do this to your bike:
Wow...looks awesome. Do you know what the exact mods are?

Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow...looks awesome. Do you know what the exact mods are?
it is an older fxdx...black powdercoated stock wheels, the stock 39mm adj. front end, Ohlin suspension(s36E). The bike also has lightweight discs and aftermarket calipers. Exhaust is from Japan(not currently available in the states).

Quick Reply: suspension upgrades