Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shock questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:45 AM
asheborogn
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking shock questions

I have a 96 wide glide with stock shocks. I wanted to lower the rear a little to make it look better.... I am getting confused with all of the progressive shock models...

I am not wanting to super slam the bike, just lower it a little but keep a decent ride. The more I read, the more I get confused.. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Old 06-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Progressive Suspension
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe we can help!

Your bike should have a 12.5" eye2eye shock on it from the factory.

Your choice of suspension depends on your riding style and load.

The 412 Series in an 11.5" or 12" is an inexpensive alternative to stock stuff (well under $300 for the pair) and superior ride quality to the stockers.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ies/index.html

We also see a lot of the 430 Series on Dynas and it's one of our favorite setups for that chassis. Easily adjustable preload (hand turn top cap) and a high end damper make a great rider as well as pretty cool looking.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ies/index.html

Both are available in black or chrome as well as standard rate or heavy duty springs.

That help?

Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running 12" Progressive 412's on my '96.
They will drop your rear about an inch.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Zinje
Tourer

I now have the 430's on my ride and it's so much smoother. I came from the 418's. I didn't think their would be that much difference but their was.

Attached Thumbnails shock questions-p1090425.jpg  
Old 06-28-2010, 02:01 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A 12" shock will lower the bike nicely and not hurt your ride quality all that much. I would suggest Works performance, Ohlin or Ricor for shocks. If you want a chrome or polished shock, Works is the way to go. For black or contrast, go with Ricor. Ohlins for the menacing all business look. If you buy any of the progressives the ride will be 1000 times worse than either of these three manufacturers in comparison.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Progressive Suspension
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really, a 1000?

Originally Posted by rounder
A 12" shock will lower the bike nicely and not hurt your ride quality all that much. I would suggest Works performance, Ohlin or Ricor for shocks. If you want a chrome or polished shock, Works is the way to go. For black or contrast, go with Ricor. Ohlins for the menacing all business look. If you buy any of the progressives the ride will be 1000 times worse than either of these three manufacturers in comparison.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Wonkaboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Progressive Suspension
Really, a 1000?

Read my posts , ever since i installed progressives i have had 2 bolts shear off , as of right now i have a stripped hole in my frame NEVER AGAIN !! Garbage !!!

Last edited by Wonkaboy; 06-29-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Progressive Suspension
Really, a 1000?
based on my experience...YUP!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I completely agree. I tried Progressives, Works, the remote resevoir Ohlins, and finally the RICORS on my 2007 FXD. The Ohlins and RICORS are, in my opinion, far better than the others, in a class by themselves. The RICORS are cheaper than the OHLINS (the top zoot Ohlins retail at $1450/set, but can be found for maybe $1,000-1100). I think the RICORS are a few hundred less, but not sure.

Originally Posted by rounder

Last edited by gregbenner; 06-30-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:13 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Buy some lowering blocks. They are 60ish dollars and lower the bike just fine. Then save up for good shocks. Yeah, 412's are NOT the best shocks on earth, but their price reflects that. They are better than worn out Showa's. Progressive has higher end shocks, but they cost more money, and they still aren't 1200 freakin' dollars. If you want the best of the best, expect to pay for it. Till then, give the lowering blocks a try.

Quick Reply: shock questions