Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solved a horribly tedious problem... (Handlebar Alignment)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:36 PM
terrible1one3
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Solved a horribly tedious problem... (Handlebar Alignment)

Long short of it.

2007 FXD, dash and speedo were cocked where the right side was a few mm lower than the left. This caused the speedo to not line up with the center of the windshield, and for the right side of the bars to feel as if they were bent down.

First I replaced the bars thinking they might actually be bent (bought the bike used with 5300 miles on it).

Issue was even worse with the new bars (chrome version of the stock bars off a '05 FXD).

I ordered new bushes, washers, bolts, and lockwashers thinking they were the issue. When I originally removed all of them one of the washers was bent, I smashed it as straight as I could, moved it and all the bushings to opposite side and tried them but the right side was still tweaked exactly as stated above.

I Installed the new bushes, washers, bolts, and lockwashers today and the bars were STILL crooked.

My last line of defense was that the risers must be either machined wrong or the wrath of God came down and tweaked them on a tip over.

On the way to the dealership to order stock replacement risers (at $40 a pop! BS). I started thinking... every time I have messed with the risers the bars have been clamped tight and I have just played with the riser bolts and bushes... maybe the risers are clamped crooked on the bars slightly making it when I tighten the riser bolts it they tighten crooked.

I thought this was a long shot but closer than the risers actually being bent even though there is a small mark on the triple tree (not a scrap, just some mark that doesn't easily come off).

I put off ordering the new clamps, drive back home take the bars off the bike (was going to switch back to the stock bars for a week anyway as I have 2010 FXDC bars on order to try those). I then installed all the new hardware and tightened the risers to the triple tree. Alas they are on straight.

Before when I tightened them I would see the washer move and become not centered in the triple tree.

I then slowly lined up the bars, installed them, tightened them slowly, checking them every 1/4 turn of the clamp bolts... AND FINALLY they damn bars were on straight... I couldn't believe that just doing stuff in the proper order is the answer!

I hope someone searches this and it works for them. I will feel as if I have accomplished something in this world if I can help one person!

I had this issue after dropping my '99 FXD. The bars were bent, replaced, still crooked ended up the bushing was out of place so a quick tweak of the bars, the bush popped back in place and that was it. Sadly this one wasn't as easy though in all honesty should have been.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I always tighten any device with multiple fasteners according to a tightening sequence or slowly and evenly across the structure.