Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reliability between cast wheels and spoke wheels

Old 09-03-2006, 01:32 PM
dxrich
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default reliability between cast wheels and spoke wheels

are cast wheels more reliable than cast wheels? I have heard that there are problems getting spoke wheels properly balanced. any truth to this? Has anyone experienced vibration problems with spoke wheels? I wouldn't want to see problems at 90mph. what about fixing a flat, is it easier on the cast wheels? I am getting a bike (street Bob) that comes with spokes, My current bike (superglide) had cast wheels . I have had no problems with the cast wheels. Please give me somefeedback on this. thanks

Old 09-03-2006, 01:42 PM
stubby
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: reliability between cast wheels and spoke wheels

Both have good and bad points. Nothing really bad. I had spoke wheels for years. As a poor wrencher I was able to take them apart , chrome, and reinstalled. Then raod across country. Nothing fell off. I now have cast wheels on my 06 dyna. I find simple green when dirt seen is easier. My bro uses a light wrench to check sound for tightness. Two year warranty if need tightening dealer should do. Good luck with new scoot.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:44 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume your first question was are cast wheels more reliable than spokes...

I don't think it's a question of reliability...I just think that you have an advantage with cast wheels in the event that you get a flat. I've been running spokes for 7 years on a number of different bikes and have never had a problem. The problem comes in if you get a flat. If you have cast wheels (tubeless tires), you can always shoot some fix a flat in there...or even use a plug. With tubes, you're pretty much out of luck....although they do make the "slime" stuff for tube type tires (which I keep with me at all times). Still, I'm not sure how well that stuff works..I haven't had to use it yet...yet being the key word..because everyone eventually gets a flat tire.

Todd

Old 09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it comes down to what you like. I like the cast wheels.

Old 09-03-2006, 04:47 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always go for the cast wheels.

Tubeless tires are not as apt to blow out and they can be plugged easily on the side of the road if you pick up a nail in the middle of no where. I speak from experience , having done it three times .

Plugs are not a permanent repair but will you home--much like those little inflatable spare tires in cages these days. Get a nail in a spoke wheel and you gotta be towed in.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:30 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

<"dxrich">

<"are cast wheels more reliable than cast wheels? I have heard that there are problems getting spoke wheels properly balanced. any truth to this? Has anyone experienced vibration problems with spoke wheels? I wouldn't want to see problems at 90mph. what about fixing a flat, is it easier on the cast wheels? I am getting a bike (street Bob) that comes with spokes, My current bike (superglide) had cast wheels . I have had no problems with the cast wheels. Please give me somefeedback on this. thanks ">

I wouldn't want a flat doing 90MPH on either, the only thing I can add to the already answers here is this is:

Cast wheels run tubeless tires, these tend to stay on the rim since the bead is stronger

Spoke wheels runs a tube and well the tire will brake off one of the side walls sooner, it's weaker at the bead. (in a flat)

If you don't want the spokes have the dealer take them off and save $450 I think it's a premium for spokes.

Good luck,
cj

Old 09-03-2006, 07:36 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain

Hmmmmmm... Cast or Spokes... Spokes are not new..Spokes have been around (pun intended..lol), since pretty much the beginning of motorcycles and bicycles... even cars had them.. been used off road (still used).. They are a bitch to clean.. really not much to maintain, unless used off road or in areas where they are subject to more than normal wear and tear.. Cast wheels on motorcycles are pretty much newbies on bikes, lots of good things about them (main one easy to clean).. While racing I've seen them crack... I have them on my SG... I heard someone say spokes belong on bikes and casts (mags) belong on cars... Some day I'll pony up the cash to change mine to spokes...
That little bike I'm sitting on has spokes... Had it at 151 no vibrations, I've owned 17 bikes, my SG is the first with cast wheels. I never had a spoked rim balance problem, tire balance yup..Later.. Skee

Old 09-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy has an 05 Deluxe with spokes and just barely 5000 miles. Had to have the front wheel replaced already because the spokes loosened up so badly caused the rim to get out of whack. Done under warranty, but had to wait a week or more to get the part in. Just more to go wrong. I've had cast wheels on my old Kawaski and my Suzuki, and never had a problem, and so far they seem just fine on my FXDI.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:03 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

one advantage with tube tires, you can get a new tube if you pick up a nail. tubless,you have to plug it..i for one would never trust a plugged tire on a bike . just my thoughts here .

Old 09-03-2006, 10:22 PM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

then again.spokes are a beech to clean . the week i bought bob,i had a flat tire,picked up a nail,hog paid for my haul to the dealer, hog is cool for this kinda thing. as a sidenote,i had just pulled out of a driveway when suddenly my bike took off in to a yard. if i had been going any faster,no doubt,i would have went down for sure . i had no control at all over my bike,only second flat i have had in many years of motorcycle riding. oh,it was my rear tire .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: reliability between cast wheels and spoke wheels