Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning rusty spokes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Col.Squirt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning rusty spokes?

Sadly, my bike sits outside under a cover My fiance and I were hoping that we would be able to add a garage onto our house by the end of this year, but that just isn't going to happen. Hopefully, we will be getting a shed after our wedding, which is coming up in October. Until then though, she is subject to whatever Mother Nature throws at us here in the Northeast. Lately, that's been rain.

I noticed today, my first ride since Saturday afternoon, that the spokes and lugs exposed were starting to rust already. I have the stock painted rims, so I was wondering if any of you guys had some good suggestions on how to clean them, without damaging the paint. I want to avoid steel wool and a wire brush at all costs!

Any good solvents out there, that won't splatter and result in a greasy, oily, dangerous mess when I take the bike out for a spin?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:34 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never Dull wadding (get it at Walmart -automotive dept) Works great for shining chrome and removing surface rust.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 PM
ratt196635
Road Master

I used a shoe lace soaked in my can of never dull it took the rust right off and helped to kepp it off wont hurt thr paint but its best not to run the shoe lace up against it really hard.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Col.Squirt
Cruiser

Cool, I know exactly what you guys are talking about. I always used that stuff as a polish, never thought about using it for rust removal. Thanks

Old 08-25-2010, 06:51 PM
lrays280z
Road Master

Originally Posted by Col.Squirt
Cool, I know exactly what you guys are talking about. I always used that stuff as a polish, never thought about using it for rust removal. Thanks
Yep, works great. You just have to rub a little harder and longer to remove surface rust. I used the never dull for restoring a set of chrome factory 86 Toyota SR5 wheels that were covered with surface rust. Also, Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover (small white plastic bottle) works pretty good too...but not as good as never dull. Good luck.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:53 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I like turtle wax chrome polish

Old 08-25-2010, 10:53 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior

Don't know how much your painted rims will like it, but balled-up foil and some warm, soapy water or vinegar will take surface rust right off without scratching the chrome.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:18 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You might try some CLR also

Old 08-26-2010, 09:41 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

shoe lace with polish works great, so does the small wheel ball.. but the best thing to clean spokes in the world... shout! like you use on your t shirts to get stains out, spray it on, let it sit, then use a soft brissle brush and scrub... clean and shiney! if all else fails pull the wheels and send them to me we will coat the spokes

Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 PM
Col.Squirt
Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Now all I need is the time to dedicate to cleaning them......

JRK5892: I gotta say bro, I'm not usually a fan of the apes, but your bike is flawlessly and tastefully done. The color scheme and the old school looks are simply killer. Old school is definitely the way I'm looking to go with the WG. Thanks for the offer to powder coat my rims too, but I could prob get it done cheaper here due to the money saved on shipping. Powder coat is definitely in in my future, now I just need to convince the fiance that it's in hers as well

Quick Reply: Cleaning rusty spokes?