Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Disconnect O-Ring

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 AM
bikertrashchad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Disconnect O-Ring

Just wanted to share a simple solution to anyone else who may have issues with a leaky quick disconnect on the fuel tank. Recently, after re-installing my tank after paint, the quick disconnect started to leak...leak pretty profusely actually. Anyway, the Harley dealership tried to sell me an entire new quick disconnect. I insisted that there had to be an o-ring inside the disconnect, but the parts guy swore that there was not. After refusing to spend $58 on a new disconnect, I drained the fuel from the tank, removed the disconnect, and removed the cracked o-ring (the one that the parts guy said did not exist). A quick trip to the local parts store and I found the o-ring for under $1.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

More often than not "parts department" employees are not mechanics, they don't know the intricacies of how things work. They will attempt to sell what the "easy fix" is, rather than what's really needed. Some of them do know what's really needed and will try to sell the whole assembly because they get a commission.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 AM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Moco had a recall on my '04 FXDLI for a leaking QD, several years ago. I refuse to take a perfectly running bike to a dealer for a recall for fear they will not return the bike to me in the perfectly running condition in which they received it.

If and when it ever leaks, I'll do what you did.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:51 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by bikertrashchad
Just wanted to share a simple solution to anyone else who may have issues with a leaky quick disconnect on the fuel tank. Recently, after re-installing my tank after paint, the quick disconnect started to leak...leak pretty profusely actually. Anyway, the Harley dealership tried to sell me an entire new quick disconnect. I insisted that there had to be an o-ring inside the disconnect, but the parts guy swore that there was not. After refusing to spend $58 on a new disconnect, I drained the fuel from the tank, removed the disconnect, and removed the cracked o-ring (the one that the parts guy said did not exist). A quick trip to the local parts store and I found the o-ring for under $1.
It's one of those items that isn't in the parts catalog, see the below link, that is what your parts guy was probably also looking at.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=477&B=44

Item 19 CHECK VALVE, OUTPUT, W/ REF # 8, 9
Item 20 FUEL LINE, FROM TANK TO INTAKE, W/ 10038A (hose clamp)

Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 AM
HOGRIDA_06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had that same problem. You have to be pretty careful reconnecting the fuel line or that o-ring can get pinched. It's the same size o-ring as the oil drain plugs...if I remember correctly it's a #41.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:04 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGRIDA_06
I've had that same problem. You have to be pretty careful reconnecting the fuel line or that o-ring can get pinched. It's the same size o-ring as the oil drain plugs...if I remember correctly it's a #41.
If you put a little oil on the o-ring it slides right in without pinching. Otherwise you may pinch like 3 of them and then start screaming motherf**ker all over the garage because gas is leaking everywhere until your friend shows up and puts a drop of oil on it and it clicks right in and seals. Don't ask me how I know this.

The following users liked this post:
sndguy (11-13-2020)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the o-ring is split, no doubt you need to replace it. The first time I disconnected and reassembled it I had a small leak, I disconnected it and used a small amount of Silicone grease and have not had a problem since. I Use a little every time I disconnect it.
The problem with the parts guy is there is no number in the book to replace that o-ring and he would be guessing what the correct o-ring would be.
CB

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 10-07-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:13 PM
DYJ
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do you have to remove the disconnect to get hte o ring out? Or can you leave it together and get it out with a pick tool or something?

Old 10-07-2010, 01:42 PM
bikertrashchad
Advanced

You can get to the o-ring without removing the quick disconnect but you are going to have a fun time doing it. The best advise is to get as much fuel out of the tank as you can, unscrew the disconnect so that you can at least move it slightly, then remove the o-ring. Be careful not to pull it out much because the hose that connects to the disconnect to the fuel pump on has about 1 inch of slack in it.

If you do decide to try to replace it where it is, make sure that it has only a little fuel in it and put an absorbent rag on the primary. You will make a mess.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:44 PM
bikertrashchad
Advanced

Thanks for the tip on the slippery install. I should have done that before I popped the thing back in. Oh, $6.99 for the HELP o-ring kit at your local Advance Auto Parts has the o-ring you need...in fuel grade too.

Quick Reply: Quick Disconnect O-Ring