Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip Over Scare

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
strongwood
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wyde Glyde Bry
Yep I'm another garage offender. Thought the stand was down and started leaner it over so I could get off and it just kept going. Since I was on the bike I was able to lay it down nice and easy, get off, and pick it back up. But I felt like such a moron (and I was).... Now I double/triple check that the stand is down. Good lesson to learn in the garage instead of the parking lot in front of all my buds!

And... no, didn't develop any paranoia -- if anything, learning the lesson made me more confident that I wouldn't make the same mistake twice.

Ditto, I did this too. I have since purchased a front wheel chock to work on the bike. Now I just pull into the garage and into the chock.

That is not why I bought the chock but it works for me

Also, I laid my bike over at a stop sign on Thanksgiving day. I just flat out let it lean too far to one side as I was looking down at something ...it was a soft lay down with no damage...except for my pride, there was a car behind me at the stop sign.

Sheesh

Old 12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

i pulled into my backyard after a ride, shut the bike off, put my keys in my pocket, leaned it over on the.....OH WAIT THERE'S NO KICKSTAND THERE...

and (true story) in a moment of spiderman-like reflexes (im 23 folks, the body's still got elasticity) i got my right leg up and over the bike, had both feet on the ground and caught the bike before it went down. stood it back up, put down the kickstand and sat down until my heart dropped back down out of my throat.

for about a month after that i double and triple checked the stand.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:28 PM
MacBean
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went for a ride over to my Dad house. I pull into his garage and my foot slipped on some oil. the bike sat so low that it leaned over to the primary and stayed up. good thing or I would have taken his bike out too.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:36 PM
hoops928
Tourer

Yep, driveway leaving the garage. Thought the stand was all the way down, went to step off , it rolled forward a bit, and headed down..kinda like slow motion...still had my right hand on so just laid it down...scratch on side cover, hurt my pride the most...make sure the stands down now!! fired it up..took a ride...as someone said sooner or later it's gonna happen..

Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 PM
strongwood
Road Master

Originally Posted by toastman
i pulled into my backyard after a ride, shut the bike off, put my keys in my pocket, leaned it over on the.....OH WAIT THERE'S NO KICKSTAND THERE...

and (true story) in a moment of spiderman-like reflexes (im 23 folks, the body's still got elasticity) i got my right leg up and over the bike, had both feet on the ground and caught the bike before it went down. stood it back up, put down the kickstand and sat down until my heart dropped back down out of my throat.

for about a month after that i double and triple checked the stand.
Dood!

Must be good to be young! When I laid mine over at the stop sign, it was all I could do to lift it back onto its wheels

I consider myself to still be pretty stout (although short) I played tackle in my high school days but heaving this thing off the ground was a bigger chore than I thought it would be. Maybe I am not as stout as I thought *grin*

just a hint as to what's coming with old age

Old 12-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Len
Road Captain

yup; dumped the SG at a virtual standstill with the Honey on the back.
After the bike was down; I was on the ground looking up at her (she's standing up looking at me and sayn "watcha doin down there?" . .

Just gotta stay focused and not have too many brain farts . .

It's good to look back and laugh about it now; and, prayfully, only dump it at a standstill again; and, not while going full tilt . . .

Old 12-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Hutch12
Advanced

I dumped my Fat Bob while parking on a hill in San Francisco. The slope of the hill threw my balance out of whack. The bike leaned towards the downhill side and my foot was unable to touch the ground until the bike was well beyond the "tipping point". I am a pretty fit, young guy (26), but I just hit the gym and finished working out my legs and as a result had no strength to save her. I laid her down as gently as possible, cussed at the world and myself, and picked her up with some minor cosmetic damage. There's nothing that you can do except shrug it off and hop back on the saddle. Like others said, there is plenty more out there to worry about.

Last edited by Hutch12; 12-21-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM
H1946
6th Gear

Two times, just bought a new 06 wide glide. Was off it and tried to move it in the garage with the kick stand up, broke the cluch lever and the left grip. Second time a few days later was on the bike by my old buick and it fell over, the front of QD windshild slid down the side of the buick, a little rubbing compound and the windshild was like new. I didn't care about the buick.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bostock1957
...I know it's better to get back on the horse which threw ya but it's not always easy. Just wondering?

Don't blame it on the horse!

Originally Posted by toastman
i pulled into my backyard after a ride, shut the bike off, put my keys in my pocket, leaned it over on the.....OH WAIT THERE'S NO KICKSTAND THERE...and (true story) in a moment of spiderman-like reflexes (im 23 folks, the body's still got elasticity) i got my right leg up and over the bike, had both feet on the ground and caught the bike before it went down. stood it back up, put down the kickstand and sat down until my heart dropped back down out of my throat. for about a month after that i double and triple checked the stand.

Wow dude, same EXACT thing happened to me... well everything up to “i got my right leg up and over the bike, had both feet on the ground and caught the bike before it went down…”

Old 12-21-2010, 06:51 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Yep, just got home from a long ride. Stopped in the driveway,shut the bike off and before I got the stand over it went on the left. Luckily no damage but DOH!

Quick Reply: Tip Over Scare