Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SaddleBag Mount Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Axholio
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SaddleBag Mount Question

Does anyone here use throwover saddlebags WITHOUT using the saddlebag mount bars? I just got a set and need some suggestions on ways to mount them. I really don't want to have to move the turnsignals.

I have an 03 FXD. The bags are Willie & Max compact slants. They fit perfectly between the shocks and turnsignals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:52 PM
puddles13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: SaddleBag Mount Question

I have an 06 and don't use saddle bag mounts - They don't make them for the 06's yet............

I have the same throw over bags and have no problems running with them with no mounts on. Occasionally check and adjust depending on what I have in them in case of sliding, but have found no problems. Have used them for 2 1/2 months now.
Used them just this last weekend for a 3 day trip through the Hill Country of Texas - not a problem!

Below is a pic of them taken this last weekend. Loaded to the gills for the trip. lol

Old 10-10-2006, 11:59 PM
Axholio
Tourer

Very cool Puddles. I'm glad I found someone that has the same bag. Here's my concerns...

On the right side they rest on the caliper, and are pretty close to the rotor. On the left side they rest on the belt guard and the bottom tie down loop is pretty close to the sprocket. I'm sure I could cut that loop off if I needed to, but I'd rather not.

Where do you tie them down on your bike? I've thought about either a coil in the shock springs or the passenger pegs. Do you have any issues with them "flapping" in the wind?

Oh yeah... are yours run under the seat? I can't tell from the picture...

Thanks

Mike

Old 10-11-2006, 01:55 AM
puddles13
Outstanding HDF Member

How you discribed is exactly how they sit on my bike as well. I got mine used and they had one of the tie down loops missing and the other one cut so I don't have them tied down at all.

I have a thumb screw on the back of my seat - just undo that, slide them out when I need to. Usually leave them on full time though. When traveling this weekend I would take them off each night and head into motel with all my stuff over my shoulder. It is hard to tell in the pic as I had my jacket and vest cargo'd to the back seat - weather said low 60's on Sunday morning.

I have never noticed they flap in the wind. I usually keep in one bag my rain suit just in case and that gives that side some weight. The other side my fanny pack gets slide into (don't use a purse, fanny pack carries wallet, cell phone and misc). I have also been able to slide a water bottle in that side by not snapping the top, but lay it down ove my fanny pack and then leave one buckle loose. Enables me to take a drink while riding.

I've included another pic that you may be able to see them a bit better. Rode up to oldest son's wedding and he rode part way back with us. My bike is the first one and you can see the bags a bit better. *other 2 bikes belong to my boys who are standing next to me*

[IMG]local://upfiles/16353/A6F40F88A35B43BC84371E741C3AA271.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-11-2006, 09:41 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rode with throw overs and no brackets for a couple of months on my Street Bob.The yoke of the bags wore a shiny spot on my rear fender and the bag on the left side wore through the paint on my belt gaurd.If your bike has a chrome belt gaurd and a back seat this will probably not happen.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:06 PM
WgSkee
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for Hi-Jackin' post... But, had to comment on puddles... That's great you and the kids... hangin' out and riding together... Don't happen nuff anymore... Later Skee..[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 10-11-2006, 09:40 PM
ameristo
Cruiser

My first bags were throwovers and they rested on the calipers and chain guard also. After a while I rubbed a hole in the one on the brake side and the right side put scuff marks on by belt guard. Replaced them with easy brackets and saddlemen bags. I did have to move the turn signals to the liscense plate though.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Axholio
Tourer

Thanks guys... I've avoided the brackets because of moving the turn signals. The heads up you guys gave me about rubbing the paint on the belt guard was great. I put some of the fuzzy side of some industrial strength velcro on the guard and it looks like it'll protect it okay. I tied down to the shock coils with some zip ties and rode about 50 miles today with speeds up to 65 and there was no flapping or issues of any kind. I can see that they will eventually wear where they contact the caliper. Not much I can do about that at this point unless I spend the $$$ for a bracket. Drag Specialties has the brackets for $49 and the turn signal kit is $48 each (plus whatever it costs to have someone wire it... I'm not good with wires... lol). Too much right now... I have other goodies I need worse... lol!

Thanks again you guys!

Old 10-11-2006, 11:23 PM
vnvjames
Cruiser

I bought a Motherwell rear fender rack and used leather strands to tie the bags to my front lower shock mounts and rear signal brackets, Just punch holes in the bags with a leather punch, works great, check out pic.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:58 AM
puddles13
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: WgSkee

Sorry for Hi-Jackin' post... But, had to comment on puddles... That's great you and the kids... hangin' out and riding together... Don't happen nuff anymore... Later Skee..[sm=biker2.gif]

Thanks!

I grew up riding with my dad - although he never would teach me to drive. Learned to ride 26+ years ago with ex. My kids have all grown up riding with me.

My 2 boys each have thier own bikes, my daughter is saving for her's and the youngest has a couple of years to go before he can get his license.

Oldest son is heading to Iraq in 2 weeks. I'll be riding his Sportie down to store while he's gone. Middle son rides every day. Picked up a great starter bike with 12,900 on it (Kawi 500). He's put on 11,500 miles in the last 4 1/2 months and saving for to get an older Sportie to ride.

I have great pride pulling up with my kids with me. It will be an incredible day to have 5 bikes pull up and it is Momma in the lead with all her kiddos.

Below is a pic taken two days after my oldest picked up his Sportie. I didn't have a bike again at that time, so was riding middle son's.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16353/73031F0595794A25B03F8660FBC63CB8.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: SaddleBag Mount Question